Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of paving driveway

Options
  • 11-05-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Just trying to find out roughly how much it would cost to get my (very small) front garden paved (or tarmac) to use it as a driveway.
    Ie cost to get someone in to dig up current garden (grass / path / shrubs etc) and put in paving (durable enough to hold the weight of a car obviously!)
    I might have to consider tarmac as I'd assume it would be cheaper and I dont have a huge amount of money to spend on it.

The size is only (approx) 20m sq

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

The best price i have gotten for a paving brick is €60.00 /sqm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

hoopsbhoy wrote: »
    Hi,

Just trying to find out roughly how much it would cost to get my (very small) front garden paved (or tarmac) to use it as a driveway.
    Ie cost to get someone in to dig up current garden (grass / path / shrubs etc) and put in paving (durable enough to hold the weight of a car obviously!)
    I might have to consider tarmac as I'd assume it would be cheaper and I dont huge amount of money to spend on it.

The size is only (approx) 20m sq

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

1st of all......you need planning permission.

Its now a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

i got a supply and fit quote for 25e per sq mt for our 60sq m patio from a paving manufacturer. my builder then matched the price and did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hoopsbhoy

thanks for the replies. :)

paddy147 - yes i've just applied for planning permission for vehicular access - i assume this is what you mean? Or do I need separate planning permission for the actual driveway??

• Registered Users Posts: 46,142 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paddy147 wrote: »
    1st of all......you need planning permission.

Its now a legal requirement.
    Can you post a link to the legislation for this please.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the legislation for this please.

Ask your local counciler or any corporation official and they will tell you.

You need planning permissioin to turn a garden into a driveway for a parking of a car or cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

rodred wrote: »
    The best price i have gotten for a paving brick is €60.00 /sqm

you can get the Tobermore Shannon Heather paving brick for €14.50 ex vat and then labour and blinding on top of that. (roughly €2.00 and €13.00). And there are cheaper ones out there. €25/m2 would be a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Ask your local counciler or any corporation official and they will tell you.

You need planning permissioin to turn a garden into a driveway for a parking of a car or cars.

thats funny, when i asked a planning officer I was told I didn't need it.

thats funny, when i asked a planning officer I was told I didn't need it.

To turn a front garden (as in a grass garden) into a paved driveway for parking a car,you need planning permision.

You are taking away land and also altering the frontal appearance of the house.

You need planning permission.

To turn a front garden (as in a grass garden) into a paved driveway for parking a car,you need planning permision.

You are taking away land and also altering the frontal appearance of the house.

You need planning permission.
    Im sorry Paddy but you are wrong (well mostly) on this and this is why I asked you to pint out the legislation.

The 2001 regs allow for an exemption whereby a hard surface may be provided for 2 cars parking spaces to the front of a house.

If you need a link for that let me know.

• Advertisement

Im sorry Paddy but you are wrong (well mostly) on this and this is why I asked you to pint out the legislation.

The 2001 regs allow for an exemption whereby a hard surface may be provided for 2 cars parking spaces to the front of a house.

If you need a link for that let me know.

Can you post the link please.

Do you also have a link with regards building a back garden garage and sizes before planning permission is required?

I was only going on what an employee in the planning office in Dublin City Council,Wood Quay told me when I was handing in my commencement notice and fee,so that the builder could commence the work for me.

I happened to ask about putting a driveway in my front garden,and he told me that I would need to apply for planning permission to do it.He also told me that I also have to apply for the council to come out and dig up the public footpath outside my house and make a access slope for any proposed driveway in my front garden.And that there is also a fee for the county council to put in a slope.Fee is a few hundread euro so i was led to believe.

I tended to believe him as he works in the planning office,so he would know straight off,but maybe he is wrong then?

Can you post the link please.

Do you also have a link with regards building a back garden garage and sizes before planning permission is required?

I was only going on what an employee in the planning office in Dublin City Council,Wood Quay told me when I was handing in my commencement notice and fee,so that the builder could commence the work for me.

I happened to ask about putting a driveway in my front garden,and he told me that I would need to apply for planning permission to do it.He also told me that I also have to apply for the council to come out and dig up the public footpath outside my house and make a access slope for any proposed driveway in my front garden.And that there is also a fee for the county council to put in a slope.Fee is a few hundread euro so i was led to believe.

I tended to believe him as he works in the planning office,so he would know straight off,but maybe he is wrong then?
    No problem Paddy. The 2001 regulations is the document you need.

The garage falls under Class 3 of the Exemptions which can be viewed on page 156 of the above document.

The parking exemptions are Class 6 - see page 158

Just to note that the planner was indeed correct about the entrance and dishing etc but this thread is about someone who already has an entrance and was asking about the cost of providing a hard surface for car parking to the front of their house.

As is normal the issue regarding planning then cropped up but the thread here has nothing to do with an entrance - just the parking issue. Thats where there may have been some confusion.

No problem Paddy. The 2001 regulations is the document you need.

The garage falls under Class 3 of the Exemptions which can be viewed on page 156 of the above document.

The parking exemptions are Class 6 - see page 158

Just to note that the planner was indeed correct about the entrance and dishing etc but this thread is about someone who already has an entrance and was asking about the cost of providing a hard surface for car parking to the front of their house.

As is normal the issue regarding planning then cropped up but the thread here has nothing to do with an entrance - just the parking issue. Thats where there may have been some confusion.

Thanks for the link.

You should go and work for Dublin City Council,as you seem to know more than the whole lot of them put together over there in Wood Quay.

What do they be doing over there on a day to day basis....dossing???:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

New draft Planning Guidelines on the Planning System and Flood Risk Management Sept 2008

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/PlanningDevelopment/NationalSpatialStrategy/News/MainBody,18440,en.htm

The draft Guidelines also draw attention to the increasingly frequent trend of paving over entire residential garden areas to provide off-street car parking and the flood implications of this.

The Guidelines contain a commitment by the Department to review the Exempted Development Regulations to ensure that only paving complying with Sustainable Drainage principles will be exempted under the exempted development provisions of the Planning Acts.

In considering planning applications for new or extensions to residential development which includes significant hard surfacing, the Guidelines recommend that planning authorities should attach conditions to any grants of planning permissions which limits the extent of hard surfacing and / or requires the use of permeable paving or surfaces such as gravel or slate chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Did you get the work done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Did you get the work done?

It's an eight year old thread, better off starting a new thread for up to date info & costs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement