Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on an i5 gaming build

Options
  • 11-05-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, building my first pc and have been going through these threads getting some ideas. Looking for a good gaming machine and going to be doing a bit of game development.

I've settled for going for a i5-750. Buying it over a few weeks as it seems impossible for me to save money. So far I have bought

Cooler Master HAF 922 - Mid tower - 89.36

Samsung SpinPoint F2EG 1tb - 68.67

Corsair TX650W - Power supply - 85.00

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S - 22.00

What I need advice on is what motherboard and ram to get with the i5. Not too sure what's compatible with what. Going to start with 4gb and upgrade to 8 sometime after the build.

Any major difference between a HD5830 and HD5850? Worth paying the extra few bob?

Also, would I need a fan, or would the ones with the case do? (Haven't got it yet, waiting on delivery)

Got about 700 euro to spend on motherboard, graphics card, processor, and 4gb ram. Going to buy it in 2 installments over next 2 weeks.

No need for keyboard, OS, monitor.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

blaa85 wrote: »

Cooler Master HAF 922 - Mid tower - 89.36

Samsung SpinPoint F2EG 1tb - 68.67

Corsair TX650W - Power supply - 85.00

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S - 22.00

What I need advice on is what motherboard and ram to get with the i5. Not too sure what's compatible with what. Going to start with 4gb and upgrade to 8 sometime after the build.

Any major difference between a HD5830 and HD5850? Worth paying the extra few bob?

Also, would I need a fan, or would the ones with the case do? (Haven't got it yet, waiting on delivery)

Got about 700 euro to spend on motherboard, graphics card, processor, and 4gb ram. Going to buy it in 2 installments over next 2 weeks.

No need for keyboard, OS, monitor.

Cheers

Now, Im no expert but, you should take a look at my page, and cause I'm making a i5 750 build as well. Your motherboard, to be future proof should have the new USB 3.0 support if possible. Gigabyte is an example and do great motherboards usually like the one mentioned in my link above, The Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3.

Graphic Card, I would go for the HD5850.... IF you can find it.. Now, the one I picked is the XFX black edition (Overclocked slightly and more expensive) but XFX is a good manufacturer cause they got Lifetime warranty if I remember and is usually a great performer. The ATI HD5830 card in total just isn't fantastic in terms of overall performance plus I think you would get more out of the HD5850. Its just got more of everything if you see what I mean.

For the case fans, I don't know, haven't seen the case's internals before, but instead of using the CPU stock fan get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro mentioned on my page. It cost 15 Euro, and performs miles better and quieter too!

RAM, you should get 1333MHZ or 1600MHZ for new boards and gaming etc. Preferably value/ cheaper RAM IMO, but if you want that added performance go slightly dearer. should be around 90-160 Euro for 4GB.

Overall, your build Looks great so far (and very similar to mine...):cool: Nice looking case. I didn't exactly splash out with my one considering I'm still living with my family and they won't want some bling! bling! PC case with neon lights pulsing every 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Drop the 2 from that motherboard!

GA-P55A-UD3

:p

Hornd wrote: »
    Drop the 2 from that motherboard!

GA-P55A-UD3

:p

AAHH!! Your everywhere, criticizing me! Hahaha! :D, there always has to be a mistake somewhere! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Cheers for that. Going to order the i5 750,GA-P55A-UD3 this week. Next week, I'll get this ram:

Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Memory

Will pick up a fan and decide on graphics card then, probably get the 5850 after reading that link ya posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

I assume you mean a CPU fan? No need for extra case fans (already has 3) unless your planning to put a few strobes and lazers in side her!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 - 25 quid and the AC Freezer 7 Pro 15-20 quid are the recommended choices around these parts to upgrade from the stock coolers assuming your not trying to OC to over 4Ghz!

• Advertisement

Looks good to me, Good luck on that build!

Kevin F.

Advertisement