Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving notification via e-mail for Admin PMs

Options
  • 11-05-2010 4:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Can someone in the know tell me why I get e-mail notification each time an Admin sends me a PM, but no e-mail notification when I get PMs from any other User, Mod or CMod?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

You won't receive PM notifications from most users if in your UserCP you have "Send Notification Email When a Private Message is Received" unchecked, but there's an additional "Receive Email from Administrators" option in the same area (checked by default), which is probably why you get mail notifications from admins only.

Has never cropped up before though afaik, so not sure without digging through the internals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

"Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" is unticked.

"Receive Email from Administrators" is ticked because it says:

"From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices. If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option."

Are you saying that when an Admin sends me a PM, a notice is automatically sent? I thought this tick box was there to allow (or disallow) the Admins to send me boards.ie notices about stuff that's happening on the site, for example, a newsletter etc?

Those are the only options I see that could be anything to do with this, plus it's only just started recently, and I have not changed any CP settings for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've noticed the same thing. I would have expected the "Receive Email from Administrators" option to mean that the site administrators can send an email newsletter type thing to me, rather than overriding the "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" option.

Doesn't bother me either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

psni wrote: »
    "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" is unticked.

"Receive Email from Administrators" is ticked because it says:

"From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices. If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option."

Are you saying that when an Admin sends me a PM, a notice is automatically sent? I thought this tick box was there to allow (or disallow) the Admins to send me boards.ie notices about stuff that's happening on the site, for example, a newsletter etc?

Those are the only options I see that could be anything to do with this, plus it's only just started recently, and I have not changed any CP settings for a long time.
    eoin wrote: »
    I've noticed the same thing. I would have expected the "Receive Email from Administrators" option to mean that the site administrators can send an email newsletter type thing to me, rather than overriding the "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" option.

Doesn't bother me either way though.

I would have figured the same thing myself, but vBulletin is quirky. How recently did it start?

Edit: never mind, talked to Conor, looks like it's an unintended side effect of having to send those "post hack update" PMs/Emails a couple of weeks ago. Will have a poke around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

This should be sorted now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement