Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Light

• 11-05-2010 5:00pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys on my bike, when I put the keys in and turn it to the on position, the oil light is kind of half lit up. When I push the button and start the bike the light goes out. Every time, been like this for a few weeks.

It only had a full service a few months ago but has not been used much until I started back on it to work last month.

Any idea what this could be?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Happens on my bike when the oil level is just about to hit the 'min' marker on the dipstick.

Doesn't happen when running because the oil is being moved around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What bike is it. On my SV my warning light (red) and neutral indicator (green) always light when the ignition is turned to On, but the motor is not running.

Once fired up the warning light switches off.

nereid wrote: »
    What bike is it. On my SV my warning light (red) and neutral indicator (green) always light when the ignition is turned to On, but the motor is not running.

Once fired up the warning light switches off.

It's a Monster.

I'd say it's just running low on oil.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers I'll go top it up!

Zascar wrote: »
    Cheers I'll go top it up!

Did you even check it before posting? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well I checked it a few weeks ago and it was plenty! But I'll give it another go

Well I checked it a few weeks ago and it was plenty! But I'll give it another go

Check it every week at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd be kind of worried if the oil level is going down, especially over the short space of a few months.

Check the level before you top it up, as too much oil is as bad as no oil.

As Kami said, check it weekly or prior to use to ensure the level remains constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

Guys on my bike, when I put the keys in and turn it to the on position, the oil light is kind of half lit up. When I push the button and start the bike the light goes out. Every time, been like this for a few weeks.

It only had a full service a few months ago but has not been used much until I started back on it to work last month.

Any idea what this could be?

Mate
    The oil light will light when the key is in the on position, thats the way it is on all or should be on all bikes and cars for that mater, once you start the bike the light will go out. If it comes on or stays on then youo have an issue!

So, don't just top it up and yeah you should be checking the oil more often, don't wait until the light does come on for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Strom is spot on. The oil light is an indication of low oil pressure, if the motor is not running then there is low oil pressure - thats normal. The oil pressure will increase when the motor is up and running and the light should go out.

• Advertisement

Checked the level this morning, it was low but nothing concerning, topped it up a bit anyway and I think its grand now, will give it a run and then see if the light still comes on or not... ta

Advertisement