Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are anti-depressants for life?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly I just want to say that I do not advocate that anyone comes off anti-depressants without the supervision of their prescribing doctor.

My position is that I am on anti - depressants 5 years now. I have been attending therapy and feel much stronger in myself and feel that I would now cope with lifes events without sinking back into depression.

I have broached the subject of coming off the medication with my prescribing doctor, but he believes that I should stay on them longer.

Say if I had high blood pressure and by reducing my salt intake and losing weight that my blood pressure came back to normal, I would no longer need medication. Is this not the same for having therapy, then feeling better, not depressed at all - why would you still need the medication.?

Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

it totally depends.

there are a number of things to be taken into consideration, such as -

how severe the depression was

how difficult it was to treat

what (if anything is thought to have) started it

how many episodes you had

how long you've been treated

family history

medical history, other meds youre on

your age

... to name a few! this is not an exhaustive list, by any means.

there are prescribing guidelines that take these factors into account.

we cant offer you advice on your individual circumstances here.

go back to your doctor. if you feel he isnt addressing your concerns, then ask for a second opinion.

good luck, hope all turns out well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement