Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens..

Options
  • 11-05-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

This morning, we saw two half-grown ones on a back lane here; in the same old rubbish tip cottage where they had dogs tied up.

The two local toms are black/white and ginger and so are the kittens.

I was tempted to gather them in to TRN; one was clearly amenable to persuasion; they look half starved.

Not sure re the legalities though..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If they look half-starved then I'd try to trap them. I wouldn't release them if they're kittens though. I'd try to rehome them or something.

I'm sure it's not legal if somebody owns them, but how could you know if somebody does . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No legalities unless the cat has a definite owner, and the only way to prove that these days is if the cat is microchipped or if someone claims it as theirs. These kittens, if roaming and skinny, are highly unlikely to be microchipped. They may belong to a farming property near you, and be part of the 'working barn cat' population. You could capture them and phone around the locals to see if they're owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you.

I think for now I will take food to them where they are; and wait and see. It is a fair way from us.

NB we had a visit from aggressive tom last night; first time for months. He needs neutering... We don;t have a trap...

Yeah see if you can feed them anyway :)

We have a very aggressive tom around here too. I've never known a tom cat like him! Usually they don't cause much trouble, but this one is attacking all my cats, even my female kitten and two old female cats! Even the old one who usually attacks tom cats herself runs away from him. And he's after my baby rabbits :( We're getting the kitten spayed tomorrow though, so hopefully that will stop the tom cat coming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    Yeah see if you can feed them anyway :)

We have a very aggressive tom around here too. I've never known a tom cat like him! Usually they don't cause much trouble, but this one is attacking all my cats, even my female kitten and two old female cats! Even the old one who usually attacks tom cats herself runs away from him. And he's after my baby rabbits :( We're getting the kitten spayed tomorrow though, so hopefully that will stop the tom cat coming around.

Thank you for understanding; health issues just now mean I cannot take on - or in - any more critters.

But it is food they need; wee girl came almost to the car window with those big hungry eyes.. YOU know.. I stopped and chatted to her a while.

This tom beats all; he came in at the open window one night while I was asleep and sprayed the curtains from the windowledge. I thought we had seen the last of him then heard the scrapping last night.

And my two are spayed/neutered. He is simply territiorial.

• Advertisement

Oh I understand. As long as they have food they'll probably be ok anyway. I hope they'll be alright.

I find tom cats pretty annoying sometimes, I wish people would just neuter them. One came in my window before (I had a cat flap in my window in my old house!) and sprayed the curtains too. But I had some young female cats so that was probably why!

Advertisement