Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLumbing - What is the Purpose of the Knob on Air Vent CH Valve?

• 11-05-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I just hooked up a solid fuel range to my oil central heating system. Works a treat. One issue is I cannot understand is how the air vent valve is set to prevent the internal boiler I fitted on the outlet pipe should be set? I have it hooked up and it works. But what is the purpose of the wee rubber screw valuve on top? Should it be generally be in the closed (tightened) position?

Is the purpose of this to just flush the air out of the system when you fire it up or is it normally always in the closed position and any dangerous build up in pressue is automatically vented even if I close he rubber screw valve all the way?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

open the cap on the vent about a quarter of a turn and leave it at that , the purpose of the vent is to release any trapped air in the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

sullzz wrote: »
    open the cap on the vent about a quarter of a turn and leave it at that , the purpose of the vent is to release any trapped air in the system

Sullzz is correct, the air vent is there to prevent air locks in the future if you have to drain down the system.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

More a question than an answer, when you linked to the existing oil system was it a pressurised system and did you fit a header tank in the attic making it an open vent ?

Reason I ask is any open vent systems I worked on didn't need a bottle vent because they vented through the expansion ?

Advertisement