Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazils 23 man Squad - no Ronnie

• 11-05-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

No Ronnie Thank God

Goalies: Julio Cesar, Gomes, Doni

Defense: Maicon, Dani Alves, Lucio, Juan, Luisao, Thiago Silva, Michel Bastos, Gilberto

Midfield: Kaka, Gilberto Silva, Felipe Melo, Elano, Ramires, Kleberson, Julio Baptista, Josue

Forward: Luis Fabiano, Robinho, Nilmar, Grafite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They are a bit light in mf.

Awesome defence though, especially for Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Aww I still really like Ronaldinho. One of those players whos just brilliant to watch at times.

Edit: No Adriano either. Although he was pretty terrible in Brazils last game I watched.

No Lucas...though he might of got a look in. Would of been good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

No Hernanes or Lucas wtf!!! Melo has being awful since he moved to Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had money on warper starting the brazil thread ;)

it's amazing that Baptista is in the team, he's awfully ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

No Ronny but Julio Baptista is included? 18 games this season,has he been injured much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No pato?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Headshot wrote: »
    I had money on warper starting the brazil thread ;)

it's amazing that Baptista is in the team, he's awfully ****e

Ive been hitting Refresh on some Brazilian Blog for the whole afternoon. Glad Dunga didnt cave in to the pressure of picking Ronnie though. Ronaldinho is a legend of a player but to call him in now would have been bad for the morale of the rest of the team I think.

Few players there that have been playing sh1t for their clubs alright but seem to come alive for Brazil e.g. Melo who got voted the worst player in Serie A this season and Robinho

Trilla wrote: »
    No pato?

Bloody hell completley forgot about Pato.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

:confused:No Pato, No Ronaldinho and yet Elano gets a place??? Fúcking hell....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

USA 1994 all over again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Knew there would be no Ronnie. His last chance was the Ireland friendly and no call, don't think Dunga ever wanted him as part of the team. Real shocker there is Grafite?? I know he had a decent season but he's old. Might aswell have given Ronaldo a last hurrah.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

A little early to name the 23 no? with the world cup still a month off, fairly likely one or 2 there could miss out.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is Pato injured? Thought I heard he was...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Has Pato been injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Where is Pato? Baptista!? Kleberson?! (I assume that's the ex-United Kleberson?)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/03/29/1854043/alexandre-pato-to-return-to-milan-fold-for-season-finale

Says Pato was injured, but should have been back for last few games of the season, madness

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Really disapointed with that squad to be honest. They may be solid etc but for entertainment purposes its disapointing. Julio Baptista is poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Alot of average players in that squad IMO. Is Gomes their no.1? Played very well this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Degag wrote: »
    Alot of average players in that squad IMO. Is Gomes their no.1? Played very well this season.

Not when they have the best goalkeeper in the world ahead of him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Julio Cesar - he's probably in the top 3 keepers in the world in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Strong in defence. No squad place for Barca's Maxwell who I don't think has played a game for them in a long time.

Not terribly impressed with the rest of their squad though (by their standards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that average team dominated the WC qualifiers and won the confederations cup, yes it's a weakside when you compare them to other past Brazilian WC sides but Dunga has made them a real solid side, gone the days of dodgy defence and individuality, they're more of a team now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Dunga has gone for efficiency rather than exuberance. It won't be the best Brazil side to watch but they'll do very well with that team.

I wish Ronaldo was in there, would have loved to see him get another go at a World Cup.

Grafite (not a very good season with Wolfsburg), Julio Baptista (hardly played for Roma), Felipe Melo (useless) shouldn't be in the squad but Dunga has his team in mind and simply wouldn't budge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I reckon they'll win it - it'll be WC '94 all over again for Dunga. Team is settled and they'll play the same first 11 that's played throughout the qualifying and the Confederation Cup win. Defence is strong and the team are pretty strong on set-pieces too.

Only question mark is LB as always. Strange that Maxwell doesn't get a look-in to the squad - Dunga has his favourites I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Melo has always done decent for Brazil to be fair, he was never going to be dropped. Gilberto sits and Melo does the running in front of him, they win the ball and give it to the fullbacks usually. It works, they can soak up pressure easily and launch lightening quick counter attacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No Ronaldinho isn't a surprise, althought he deserves to be there, only bright point in a very very bad Milan season. Pato missed too many games this season through injury I think.

Ronnie will be in the first post world cup squad, fact, especially if Leo takes the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

His squad selection is fine but is relying a lot on Kaka staying fit - if anything happens to Kaka during the tournament, they could be in a bit of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Robinho included?

pff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Is Kleberson still used as a defensive midfielder like he was when United bought him only for the lad to be used as an attacking one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

seriously where the fcuk is pato

Yeh, Kleberson and Josue are backup for Silva and Melo.

Just realised there's no Diego. Not a suprise given his form. But saying that, he seemed to be another favourite of Dunga's. Looks like Baptiste has gotten hsi place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why is Bastos listed as a defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Disappointed that Ronaldo isn't being given one last hurrah. If he is fit to play, I'd still put money on him being top scorer at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Robinho included?

pff

Been playing quite welol in brazil apparently.

Disappointed no adriano myself. Also supposed to have been playing excellently in brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Looks like Fabiano could be a good bet for top scorer. He is sure to be starting every game for them. He is by far the best listed striker in the squad. Really can't believe Pato hasn't been given a chance. Strange strange choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So does anyone know for sure if Pato was dropped or injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Seaneh wrote: »

Because Dunga plays him at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

F**k Brazil and f**k Dunga - he obviously has no intentions in providing any entertainment value to the tournament and wants to stifle teams all the way to the final - which ruined '94. Hope they get knocked out, and early too. Such a shame that some of the world's most promising youngsters (Pato, Balotelli) have to wait four years to step onto the world stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liam O wrote:

He's not injured any more. He returned at the weekend but I gather he didn't play particularly well. He's been dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Vokes wrote: »
    Just realised there's no Diego. Not a suprise given his form. But saying that, he seemed to be another favourite of Dunga's. Looks like Baptiste has gotten hsi place.
    Diego? Far from it!
    Seaneh wrote: »
    He plays LB for Brazil.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Definitely dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

how do they line up? is it 4-2-3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

F**k Brazil and f**k Dunga - he obviously has no intentions in providing any entertainment value to the tournament and wants to stifle teams all the way to the final - which ruined '94. Hope they get knocked out, and early too. Such a shame that some of the world's most promising youngsters (Pato, Balotelli) have to wait four years to step onto the world stage

I could be completely off the boil here, but is he not Italian?

As for the squad, disappointed that one or two names were left out, although it does seem like a solid back unit for once. Do Brazil line out in a 4-2-2-2?

Was reading a bit about two young lads at Santos the other day, Neymar and Paolo Henrique (I think was their names anyway), sound like they're setting the Brazilian league on fire :eek: dissapointed they're also left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I could be completely off the boil here, but is he not Italian?

As for the squad, disappointed that one or two names were left out, although it does seem like a solid back unit for once. Do Brazil line out in a 4-2-2-2?

Was reading a bit about two young lads at Santos the other day, Neymar and Paolo Henrique (I think was their names anyway), sound like they're setting the Brazilian league on fire :eek: dissapointed they're also left out.

They are probably still too young. Like the Da Silva Twins. Should be seeing them in the following WC...

LOL. Yes, Balotelli is Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why are these second favourites to win the WC again? Not a good midfield at all, and Fabiano, while useful is not in the same class as their previous World Cup winning strikers at all.

CSF wrote: »
    Why are these second favourites to win the WC again? Not a good midfield at all, and Fabiano, while useful is not in the same class as their previous World Cup winning strikers at all.

Have you seen Fabiano's goal scoring record for Brazil?

Have you seen Fabiano's goal scoring record for Brazil?
    Yep, still don't think he'll light up a World Cup the same way his predecessors did though, and with the quality of their midfield, or lack of, they badly need him to.

CSF wrote: »
    Yep, still don't think he'll light up a World Cup the same way his predecessors did though, and with the quality of their midfield, or lack of, they badly need him to.

Their midfield is the second best after Spain's IMO. It's very well balanced.

No way, can't have that at all. Think England, France, Portugal, and Holland all beat them on that count. Probably Argentina too. If I'm picking a side full of less world-class players, but a strong side with good organisation I'm going with Italy or Germany.

Diego? Far from it!
    He's been pretty much in every one of Dunga's squads from day 1 though, right? Am suprised he's been left out right at the end despite his form.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    how do they line up? is it 4-2-3-1
    It seems to be a hybrid of the two.

Robinho plays upfront but has the freedom to pull wide left and Kaka has the freedom to roam from his central position. Everyone else generally stays put positionally with Melo, Ramirez / Elano and the 2 full-backs shuttling up and down the length of the pitch.

The Guardian's Jonathan Wilson has a nice write-up on it from last year at the Conderations Cup: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jun/24/the-question-brazil-4-2-3-1
    Yeh, id agree with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement