Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed Teachers + Increasing Human Capital

• 11-05-2010 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm just looking to start a discussion on an idea that popped into my mind,
    now the idea wouldn't win 'Your Country Your Call' but I just want to see the general reaction to it.

As has been publicized, many recently qualified teachers, both primary and secondary are struggling to find a job in a school.
    (I'm NOT a teacher myself)

Many of these qualified teachers are drawing the dole, due to the mess we're in.
    Now I believe a lot of these teachers would work for several hours a week, if they could, for free, just as long as they could keep their social welfare payments. This could be for 10hours a week. This would be done a voluntary basis.
    The could utilise their skills, enhance them, and gain a good reference for when they apply for 'proper positions'

Unemployed teachers could employ their skills, educating young children, in particular those in working class areas, getting the kids' English and Math ability up to standard through after-school homework clubs.
    Primary school buildings could be used and school principals could manage this.

The same could replicated for the unemployed with university degrees in French, Biology, Irish, Geography, Physics, Computer Science to teach secondary school students after school.

Also no matter what your opinion is on asylum-seekers, love em or loath em, its in everyone's best interest that they speak good English.

This could also be used in re-training those (mainly men) who left school after the Junior Cert to work in Construction, help them achieve a Leaving Cert now at a low cost.

This scheme would only be on a voluntary basis, I believe its win-win.
    What we need to do as a nation is get together and add to our human capital.

I know there's flaws in the idea, but I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers?
    Cheers,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I agree in principle. Not exclusively to teachers.

Welfare here is too generous but it really needs to be more flexible.

There is a massive disincentive to do a couple of hours here and there or work part-time (officially anyway) because you could be releasing your right to dole for a month (or however your limite job hours last) and then find it takes a long time to get back on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Wasn't the headline in the Independent yesterday about how there's going to be 1,000 new teaching posts to fill in September, and another 1,000 the following year?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

28064212 wrote: »
    Wasn't the headline in the Independent yesterday about how there's going to be 1,000 new teaching posts to fill in September, and another 1,000 the following year?

Yeah they were actually announced a few days ago although I didn't realise there was a definite further 1,000 coming the following year.

The actualy profession probably isn't the point here although teachers are always something we could use more of.

Advertisement