Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Big Concert Down South!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

Was it nearly thirteen years ago now. That being 'Trip to Tipp following on the previous years Oasis in Pairc Uí Chaoimh. Why has there been nothing big since. Surely they could take a few out Dublin. Everything seems to up there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

thesultan wrote: »
    Was it nearly thirteen years ago now. That being 'Trip to Tipp following on the previous years Oasis in Pairc Uí Chaoimh. Why has there been nothing big since. Surely they could take a few out Dublin. Everything seems to up there.

Might have something to do with half of the country living in dublin, or having the only venues capable of staging big events, having transport, hotels and roads that actually have these things called footpaths on the edge of them, a lot of that generally helps. I think Oasis probably felt sorry for you or lost a bet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

The Feile in Thurles was the predocesser to Oxegen. I wouldn't mind a few more down the country. Like IF U2 had a tour what amazes me if that they don't play a few around the country. Lets say two in Croke PArk, one in Casement Park, One in Pearse STadium, One in Killarney and one in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The problem with big gigs outside Dublin is that as partizan says, there's no infrastructure to cope with them. Even Punchestown and Slane are cr@p in that regard without going any great distance at all from Dublin. At least you can get to the Point or the Odyssey and (more importantly) get away from them afterwards without too much difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Don't you have that live at the Marquee thing in Cork? Grizzly Bear, Midlake, Camera Obscura and Villagers on the same bill - now that's a gig! Don't think any of them are playing in Dublin, apart from Villagers.

We do but it mostly the golden oldies we get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Might have something to do with half of the country living in dublin, or having the only venues capable of staging big events, having transport, hotels and roads that actually have these things called footpaths on the edge of them, a lot of that generally helps. I think Oasis probably felt sorry for you or lost a bet :D
    You dont half have a chip on your shoulder towards Munster or anywhere outside of Dublin! Ever heard of Thomond Park, the Gaelic Grounds, Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Chaoimh? Believe it or not, we have hotels and roads and even footpaths down here too. I dont know where you get the figure of half the population living in Dublin. Last time i looked it was a quarter. As many people live in Munster, so why shouldn't folk down south or out west be entitled to more concerts?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

grenache wrote: »
    You dont half have a chip on your shoulder towards Munster or anywhere outside of Dublin! Ever heard of Thomond Park, the Gaelic Grounds, Semple Stadium or Pairc Ui Chaoimh? Believe it or not, we have hotels and roads and even footpaths down here too. I dont know where you get the figure of half the population living in Dublin. Last time i looked it was a quarter. As many people live in Munster, so why shouldn't folk down south or out west be entitled to more concerts?!!

Unfortunately, nobody has a divine right to concerts. Promoters will go to those places where they have have the best chance to sell as many tickets as they can.

Dublin really has the edge because of the large population living in the city or nearby. It also has more hotels, more flights in and better access from all over the island. A gig in the RDS, for example, is likely to sell more tickets than one in any of the above venues and promoters know this. Look at what happened when the FAI moved a couple of soccer friendlies to Thomond Park - they struggled to sell 20,000 tickets. The same matches would have had over 30,000 in Lansdowne or Croke Park.

Having said that, Thomond Park has hosted some big shows and Bob Dylan is there in the summer. The Marquee in Cork seems to be able to get some big names too. Sligo is getting Leonard Cohen which should bring a big crowd. So it's not all bad.

If anywere outside of Dublin got some very big acts too they too would sell out. The soccer comparsion doesn't match up . IE if you had Kings of Leon or Paolo Nutini playing anywhere in this country they too were sell out regardless of the venue. I would love to see the Docklands project started in Cork as a rival to the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

thesultan wrote: »
    If anywere outside of Dublin got some very big acts too they too would sell out. The soccer comparsion doesn't match up . IE if you had Kings of Leon or Paolo Nutini playing anywhere in this country they too were sell out regardless of the venue. I would love to see the Docklands project started in Cork as a rival to the O2

I still think that they would sell out bigger venues nearer Dublin. And for promoters, more tickets = more money. Something would need to be done to entice promoters to pass up filling Croke Park or Slane in order to opt for places like Thomond Park or Semple Stadium.

A venue in Cork as a rival to the O2 in Cork would struggle unless it could seriously compete with the O2 or the Odyssey in Belfast . I think it would be the third in line for major gigs and would only get gigs when the other two are unavailable or where an act wants to play more than one venue in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

As I live in Kildare Dublin is ideal for me for concerts. However if there is someone I really want to see I will travel anywhere in Ireland if required and have gone to Belfast, Slane, Kilkenny, Killarney and Galway just for concerts and I am going to Sligo for Leonard and I can't wait.
    I remember a while back of hearing stories of a planned venue in Tipp somewhere but I guess with the recession that idea has being shelved.

• Advertisement

I suppose my main point of decussion is why cater for people down south more ? I know Dublin is the capital but it won't kill to have a major act play outside of the place once in a while

Advertisement