Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain renewal & transfer

Options
  • 11-05-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys,

firstly let me apologize if this is the wrong forum as im not sure which one it would go under. I've had a .com domain for the past 3 years. It came up for renewal on the 4th and my email was immediately cut off and the nameservers were changed to point to another site ( i had my hosting with another company.) I received no notification that the domain was expiring. I've contacted the company to transfer it to another registrar, and now they are saying I need to pay for the renewal of the domain before they will give me the EPP code. Do I really have to pay this? The company have been completely ignoring all my correspondence up until today when I emailed them threatening legal action, and i suddenly got a flood of emails back from them. To pay these guys anything else would really sicken me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

As far as I'm aware, '.com' domains cant be transferred after they've expired. A grace period (depending on the registrar) is usually given for the current owner to renew. After that, the domain is deleted and becomes publicly available for registration.

So, I'd say you'll need to renew with the current registrar before transferring to the new one. Talk to the new registrar for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

or you could wait until it expires properly, and back order it with a registration company if you really don't want to pay the fee - however be aware that someone else may snap it up too...

http://www.namejet.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are you dealing directly with a registrar or with a reseller of a registrar?

If the domain has expired the simplest thing is to renew it with the current registrar and then get it unlocked, get the EPP key and move it somewhere else.

Advertisement