Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses in Cavan, what's missing?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I was just hankering for a $tarbucks and it got me thinking, what else would people like to see in cavan, franchise or independent? I think a Burger King would be nice, and a decent computer sales/services store!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

* any clothes chain store (Penney's, M&S, Dorothy Perkins, etc)
    * cheap toy store (like Smyths)
    * computer store like Curry's (you already mentioned that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

doubt there will be a burger king with mc ds and kfc there already
    although some of the bigger companys are now merging in like gamestop specksavers 02 cpwh its seems to be developing slowly and plenty or retail space availalble

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Adam wrote: »
    I was just hankering for a $tarbucks and it got me thinking, what else would people like to see in cavan, franchise or independent? I think a Burger King would be nice, and a decent computer sales/services store!

Personally I dont think we need any more franchises or big companies! It would make Cavan a "clone" of most other towns with no personallity.
    I think its time we fought to keep the small local shops as the big companies will leave a the drop of a hat.
    Try cooking your own burger or making your own coffee, and at least you know whats in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be honest, what most businesses are missing around Cavan is basic customer service.

What shops would I like to see?

A decent computer/electronics shop.
    A proper fish/aquarium store.
    A mens hair place, a la Mr J's in Monaghan. Somewhere with a bit of style.
    A good mens clothing store. Not like DT1 or Denim Plus, but somewhere you can get good looking clothes, cheaper. Likes of Burtons or that.

Then I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

A decent mens hairdressers is a must (for me anyway). Since I moved to Cavan 2 years ago I have tried out 4 different places and they have all given me a crappy hair cut. I know just go to the guy I always went to in Dublin every 2 months and get it cut there.

A few decent and decently prices mens clothes shops also would be great.

One other thing that pisses me off (this will prob sound odd) is that not one shop/deli that sells fresh sandwiches has sliced cheese. Every single place has grated cheese and I hate that on my sandwiches. I know cheese is cheese but I love my slices :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

For myself i wouldn't mind a large Computer store where i have choice...Click isin't a bad place but a larger store with a bigger selection would be great.

Also seen this on facebook about pennys about people wanting there store in cavan.

I wouldn't mind a decent mens clothes door,decent priced for aged 24-30.

We have enough sports choice with sports world,the sports shop and lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Penneys would be great, maybe a Boots as well. You'll always run the risk of endangering family-run local businesses, but I hope customer loyalty would win out here.

A third club wouldn't hurt either. One that doesn't smell of vomit, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jokettle wrote: »
    A third club wouldn't hurt either. One that doesn't smell of vomit, perhaps?
    Football club?

So does is it the gaels or Drumalee who smell of vomit then????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Football club?

So does is it the gaels or Drumalee who smell of vomit then????

I'm staying well away from sports-related discussions....they scare me.

The imperial has smelled of upchuck for the last 6/7 years, or whenever I first went in. The Farnham's no better. A bit more competition wouldn't hurt here; maybe then we'd be offered a decent cover charge instead of forking over a ridiculous €13 for a meager night out!

/minor rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the problem with night clubs is the group/ sheep factor.
    If a couple of people from your group of friends/ area / workplace go somewhere, or say in advance they are gomg somewhere, then ALL go to that place regardless of how crap it is.
    Or regardless of how expensive it is.
    Or regardless of there only being 30mins extra drinking time over the pub you are leaving if even that.

Its bloody depressing. But at least with the Farnham and Imperial in town you are saving yourself the hassle (and cost) of a poxy minibus to the depths of the countryside like in the hey days of the Carrick Springs and the Farnham!!

The solution would be more large late bars with a dancing area similar to a club to attract/ appease the chicks!!.
    In Cork they have a class place like that called the old oak as an example of what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

I would love if pennys would open here they would make a fortune,i do think the town needs a decent young guys shop say from 16 to 30 age group with realistic prices that they can afford . A cool coffee shop would be good, I know there is a 1 or 2 but the heat and smoke in 1 of them would kill ya, a computer shop where people knew what you were looking for and talking about would be great, and you know what an ice cream shop combined chocolate shop would be heavenly i wanna job there when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lots of things really...

- +1 on the Burger King idea.. can't believe that the closest one (for me) is Blanch!

- decent computer/electronics store a must.. someone mentioned Click - if you mean the one in Navan then it's overpriced and with a very poor selection... not that PC World is much better mind!

- The cinema and Tesco in Cavan town isn't bad BUT something needs to be done about that car park.. last time I was there late evening, it was boy racer heaven and the entire vibe of the place was like something out of one of those post-apocalypse movies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I think a real bookshop would be nice! And a hospital that doesn't try to maim and kill it's patients would be good too.

I'm not sold on the franchise fast food like McD or Burger King, some of the smaller ones in the towns can be better! Cavan is definitely missing out on a decent PC shop, but i've seen many come and go, it must just not be financially viable in the area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susie99

A Pizza Hut, a Boots and a Pennys would be great.....

Also a decent motorbike shop would be good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

A penny's is all we need imo..

for people asking for a new computer shop.. in fairness there's 2 computer shops in the town and both have been more than obliging anytime I've been looking for anything... a new club would be nice but once again is it needed... do you really want a curry's or something that don't help the customer at all and end up being absolutely non-negotiable prices...

and we don't need a starbucks... we really don't - who in cavan is going to go into starbucks... that's just not going to work out well as far as i can see....

if we could just get a decent penny's somewhere in the town centre preferably but if not out beside supervalu it'd really do so well.. there's just no where that does decent cheap clothes in the town i find.. - that's all we need imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

What about a railway connection to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    and we don't need a starbucks... we really don't - who in cavan is going to go into starbucks... that's just not going to work out well as far as i can see....

I want a starbucks!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

To be honest, what most businesses are missing around Cavan is basic customer service.

What shops would I like to see?

A decent computer/electronics shop.
    A proper fish/aquarium store.
    A good mens clothing store. Not like DT1 or Denim Plus, but somewhere you can get good looking clothes, cheaper. Likes of Burtons or that.

Then I'd be happy.

pet place in corlurgan business park on ballinagh road has a load of fish and tanks

marcellas, i thinks it called, on college street is very good barbers imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

a place that does a good carvery weekdays in town. Farnham only place that i know of and tbh its sloppy. donohoes and imperial serve ok food to you to your seat but the town needs a good carvery.
    think silver tankard on n3 near navan. good basic food and large portions.

should someone notify cavan chamber of commerce of this thread and some of these ideas might actually be given serious thought??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

M three wrote: »
    a place that does a good carvery weekdays in town. Farnham only place that i know of and tbh its sloppy. donohoes and imperial serve ok food to you to your seat but the town needs a good carvery.
    ?

add meadow view, the kesh, and the kilmore to the carvery list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

No no no to Starbucks! A nice coffee/tea house would be, erm, nice, but no one needs a chain like that?! Image-driven, overpriced coffee, ewww.

A cycling shop would be cool, have no idea if it would survive?

And I think a new nightclub/late disco bar in Cavan would be awesome, a definite success?! Theres a niche in between the younger (underager) crowd for the farnam, and the older crowd for the imperial. Small or no door charge, and cheap drinks (3 euro pints like in Dublin, or some other deal), instant success?! I have no idea about whether this could generate a profit though so maybe it wouldn't survive either...

And yeah there might be a sheep factor involved but I'd say theres enough dissent for the farnam/imperial to change people's minds?! Especially with cheap drinks, economic climate and the likes.

Somewhat related to this, and something I'd be wondering about for a while is, what happened to Subway? I can remember it being really busy, maybe it changed... did it go under or what happened?

Oh yeah maybe a Zumo smoothie would be cool in Cavan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

just-joe wrote: »
    A cycling shop would be cool, have no idea if it would survive?

halfords? out beside woodies!

Hmmm yeah I don't really have much experience out there, heard mixed reviews.. but it would be great to see an independent one, owned by an experienced cyclist with proper knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

M three wrote: »
    pet place in corlurgan business park on ballinagh road has a load of fish and tanks

marcellas, i thinks it called, on college street is very good barbers imo

Had some tanks. They were getting crap deliveries in. Tanks went ages. Its now closed.

Barber wise, I'll stick with what I'm doing. Getting to Mrs to trim it, and hit Mr J's every other month to tidy it up.
    just-joe wrote: »
    Somewhat related to this, and something I'd be wondering about for a while is, what happened to Subway? I can remember it being really busy, maybe it changed... did it go under or what happened?

Oh yeah maybe a Zumo smoothie would be cool in Cavan too.

Subway? Being charged extortionate rent, and sales falling just drove them out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Then I'd be happy.
    gazzer wrote: »
    A decent mens hairdressers is a must (for me anyway). Since I moved to Cavan 2 years ago I have tried out 4 different places and they have all given me a crappy hair cut. I know just go to the guy I always went to in Dublin every 2 months and get it cut there.

A few decent and decently prices mens clothes shops also would be great.

christ lads i thought ye cavan folk were at least hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

422nd wrote: »
    I want a starbucks!!!:mad:

+1 for a Starbucks, no where in Cavan can make a nice coffee and its no way over priced compared to some places in Cavan that can't even warm milk for a latte, its gotta be burnt...!
    flanum wrote: »
    add meadow view, the kesh, and the kilmore to the carvery list.

Meadow View = full of kids at the weekend.

Kesh = nice but changes owners so often its food menu is always changing.

Kilmore = I've not tried for carvery, must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

There's clearly a demand for a decent high street style Men clothes store like Burtons or River island. In fact a river island or NEXT that did men and ladies clothing would go down a storm in the town i'm sure.

If you want men's clothes at short notice.. say on a saturday afternoon.. your basically stuck with DT2, Mr James and a few other dodgy spots. Forget about it.

I recently wanted a pair of new trainers (not the sporty type you wear running or to the gym) but something you would wear with a pair of jeans to the pub on a Saturday night ... no chance. My only option was to go to blanch, which I did in less then 60min on the new road.

There's clearly a demand for a decent high street style Men clothes store like Burtons or River island. In fact a river island or NEXT that did men and ladies clothing would go down a storm in the town i'm sure.

Yeah definitely, Next or a Pennys would be a hit.

Was just about to go lookin for a pair of casual runners myself... bad outlook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I would'nt even bother trying mate. There ain't none!

Advertisement