Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham to dodge Euro heavyweights with seeding for Champions League qualifying rou

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Link here constantly updated as the games progress shows our seeding..
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fingers crossed the draw is kind to us, Sampadoria will most likely qualify this weekend and could be possible opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Great news,

Am I Reading that right that if we fail to qualify we fall back into the Europa league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

In laymans terms I just can't follow either of these 2 links?

Are we straight into the 4th qualifying round or what?

If so we are ranked in the top 8 seems to be what I'm reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The xs4ll link shows us seeded for the play off with Bremen and Zenit with Ajaz likely to join the seeds.....

Its constantly updated as the games progress so you can see the rankings/seeds for each draw...

Would be awesome if we ended up playing Bohs!:D

I wouldn't be afraid of any team in there outside maybe 2 or 3 and we are surely be seeded with them.

TBH something tells me it's going to be Celtic which on paper is a cake walk but I'd be warty of taking anything from there.

I just realised I'll be in las Vegas for my stag for the secon leg, gotta find somewhere that shows it and start drinking at like 11am :)

We cannot meet Bohs in the qualifiers as they are in the champions path, we are in the non-champions path.

Lyon and Sevilla are favourites to finish in the final CL spots in their respective leagues, and will be seeded, so Ajax would be unseeded if they made it through.

• Advertisement

We could give Martin a nice welcome back if we got them. Plenty of security measures too if we drew eachother.

Ajax would although not half the team they were would worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

ziedth wrote: »
    Ajax would although not half the team they were would worry me.

Jol's Ajax scored well over 100 goals and something like 49 points from their last 17 league games in Holland. There's no doubt if they had started anyway right they'd have won the league handy. They will be very good.

Dutch league is as bad as Scotland though isnt it? Although I take your point.

It would be just typical if we got them, if it happened in a film you'd think it was stupidly far fetched!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We could give Martin a nice welcome back if we got them. Plenty of security measures too if we drew eachother.

No probs with Ajax we're brothers in arms as they're the yid army of holland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3070281519_5ab83a4dbb.jpg

Latest updates:

Sevilla finish 4th in Spain (with the last kick of the game, jammy gits)
    Sampdoria finish 4th in Italy
    Auxerre finish 3rd in France (Lyon snatch 2nd and Lille drop to 4th)

The result?

If Ajax and Zenit make it out of the 3rd qualifying round they will be seeded along with Sevilla, Bremen and Spurs.

Sampdoria and Auxerre are very unlikely to be seeded.

Still the Romanian and Turkish leagues to be decided, Young Boys will be 2nd in Switzerland barring a miracle in the last few minutes of their game vs Basle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have to say it worries me if we'd be considered favourites as that's precisely when we normally don't show up. I really hope the slog to get fourth this year doesn't go to waste

Are we out of everything if we fail to qualify? I got the impression that we fall into the euro should we fall.

I'm not worried about anyone, I'd only be worried about us like what everdead said and we don't turn up

Are we out of everything if we fail to qualify? I got the impression that we fall into the euro should we fall.

We would drop into the Europa League knock-out stage should we lose in the CL qualifier, that is the stage just before the EL goes into a league structure.

Nearly all done, we should have a bit of a clearer picture on Monday when the penultimate round of fixtures in Romania will be complete.

As it stands the 3rd qualifying round will see the following:

Seeded|Unseeded
    Zenit|-
    Ajax|Celtic
    Fenerbahce|PAOK
    Kiev|Young Boys
    -|Gent

With the final positions to be filled by Braga and 2nd place in Romania (currently Unirea Urziceni), with seeding depending on who takes 2nd place in Romania.

The winners of those 5 ties will join Sevilla, Bremen, Spurs, Sampdoria, and Auxerre in the final qualifying round. We will be seeded, most likely along with Sevilla, Bremen, Zenit and Ajax (the latter two I believe are good enough to beat any of the unseeded sides in round 3)

That means our likely opponents could be Sampdoria, Auxerre, or one of the other three sides to make it through round 3.

• Advertisement

Seeded|Unseeded
    Zenit|Unirea/Cluj
    Ajax|Celtic
    Fenerbahce|PAOK
    Kiev|Young Boys
    Braga|Gent

Penultimate fixtures in Romania completed, and Unirea or Cluj are the only two clubs who can finish 2nd. Cluj are currently 3pts clear going into the last game.

As I said before, lets hope the draw is kind to us. It's a completly new experience for the club and manager so it wont be easy. In saying that I'd fancy us against any of the mentioned unseeded teams. It would be gut wrenching to go out at the first hurdle.

I do NOT want Celtic, everything will go out the window due to battle of Brittan etc.

In saying that I think we'd kill them at the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I do NOT want Celtic, everything will go out the window due to battle of Brittan etc.

In saying that I think we'd kill them at the lane
    Agreed,I would rather avoid Celtic tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Celtic are a terrible side at the moment, and i'd say we'd win both matches comfortably.

Kiith wrote: »
    Celtic are a terrible side at the moment, and i'd say we'd win both matches comfortably.

On paper by a mile,

But It's this whole battle of brittan craic that and celtic would have zero to loose because they wouldn't be given a hope. that would worry me.

I have no love for Celtic TBH, why Irish people blindly follow them kinda annoy's me but thats for another day. so if we get them ON PAPER it wouldn't be a disaster but I would rather one of the other teams.

TBH I don't know anything about these teams,

Are they any good? who would we most like to avoid everything else being equal.

Anyone know when the draw is?

Early August, 6th I think.

• Advertisement

Right, at the risk of counting chickens before they hatch, should we get past Young Boys in the qualifier we can look forward to a draw for the group stages from these pots:

Pot1|Pot2|Pot3|Pot4
    Inter|Lyon|Zenit|FC København
    Barcelona|Bremen|Panathinaikos|Spartak Moscow
    Man Utd|Real Madrid|Spurs|Tel Aviv
    Chelsea|Roma|Rangers|Sparta Prague
    Arsenal|Shaktar|Ajax|Twente
    Bayern|Benfica|Schalke|Rubin Kazan
    Sevilla|Valencia|Basel|Cluj
    AC Milan|Marseilles|Anderlecht|Bursapor

Advertisement