Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry 8520 Curve

Options
  • 11-05-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading from o2 prepay to o2 billpay.

I have my eye on this phone but im wondering is there any way to stop/turn off the o2 internet connection and just use the wi-fi conection to connect to my home broadband? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 empowerer

I'm sure O2 will do that for you, but there isnt a huge amount of point in having a BlackBerry if you turn off the internet connection as you wont be able to send email. Surely another phone would be better for you then, and not as expensive as a BlackBerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I do want to be able to send emails and use the net.

I don't want to pay the expensive o2 charges for there internet.

Instead I want to use the wi-fi to pick up (free) internet hotspots and my own wireless home broadband.

I was wondering would the Blackberry 8520 Curve facilitate this or is it compulsory to use the o2 internet service?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 empowerer

The BlackBerry won't facilitate this because you'll need to have a subscription in order to have email - as you'll need service books.

But o2 give you a BlackBerry package which includes unlimited email & internet access using your BlackBerry for €15/€25 quid a month. So you wont be paying any more than that.

You would be able to browse in WIFI hot spots, so you would get net access without paying o2 anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Even when you use wifi on a Blackberry, all the stuff is still routed through the Blackberry servers, so you have to have the Blackberry "plan" from O2 to avail of it. The big advantage in having wifi on a Blackberry is the speed. The data plan supplied is way more than you could ever use on a Blackberry as it uses very low amounts of data to display all your internet browsing etc, as the BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) uses data compression, normally at a rate of about 5 or 6:1, so even a web page that is 500kb, could be as low as 100kb

Advertisement