Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get new strings?

• 11-05-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I bought a cheap Encore acoustic guitar about 2 years back with the intention of teaching myself how to play. In the end I lost interest very quickly as frankly I didn't have a clue what I was at.

I recently start getting lessons and am finally committed to learning how to be reasonably competent before I head off to Canada in August. The thing is my guitar sounds as cheap as it is & I don't want to splash out on a new one as I wont be bringing it with me when I leave, although I do plan on getting one when I get out there. My question is would changing the strings give it a crisper sound & if so could someone suggest some strings for me. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You can't beat the crisp twang of new strings. It breathes new life into a guitar.

When I'm playing acoustic I usually have two sets of strings I use.

Martin strings - nice and cheap about a fiver a pack, lose their twang in about two weeks ( I play about an hour a night ).

Elixir string - expensive about 20 euro a pack but last me an age. Icould get roughly two months out of a pack playing the same amount as above before I change.

That being said some players like the dullness and grittiness of old strings but I think for learning you should play with fresh strings all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

You can't beat the crisp twang of new strings. It breathes new life into a guitar.

When I'm playing acoustic I usually have two sets of strings I use.

Martin strings - nice and cheap about a fiver a pack, lose their twang in about two weeks ( I play about an hour a night ).

Elixir string - expensive about 20 euro a pack but last me an age. Icould get roughly two months out of a pack playing the same amount as above before I change.

That being said some players like the dullness and grittiness of old strings but I think for learning you should play with fresh strings all of the time.

Yea, I could definitely use new strings then. As for the whole 'thickness' issue, I understand that thicker strings give better sound but are more difficult to play as a beginner. I have a feeling the strings on my guitar are as thin as possible, especially the 1st & 2nd strings which seem to be almost razor like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

9's or 10's prob and get some elixers which will last forever

+ if u have to ask about changing strings.. ya probably do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

-=al=- wrote: »
    9's or 10's prob and get some elixers which will last forever

+ if u have to ask about changing strings.. ya probably do!

Elixer's and a birra fast fret and you have strings for life*.

*The combination of Elixirs and Fast Fret may not guarantee stings for life.

Is it difficult to re-string a guitar yourself?

I was talking to the guy from Guitar Fix on Exchequer St. & he said that the cheapest he could do it for, with strings, was €25 but he thinks there's a place in town that will do it for €15. Any ideas where this might be :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

dceire wrote: »

I was talking to the guy from Guitar Fix on Exchequer St. & he said that the cheapest he could do it for, with strings, was €25 but he thinks there's a place in town that will do it for €15. Any ideas where this might be :confused:

Very very easy to do yourself! Just after you put the strings on you should pull them out from the fretboard just to stretch them out or else they'll just stretch when your playing and put your guitar out of tune. Surprised at the guy from Guitar Fix to be honest... He was trying to rob ya blind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

dceire wrote: »

Haha man dont be paying people to strig your guitar for ya! Unless your incredibly rich, then id pay someone to play it for me!

Its easy peasy, just google it and youll find way of doing it. Dont worry if the strings keep goin out of tine for a little while after you put them on, just keep tuning up.

Ok, cheers lads, I'll give it a go myself then. Might get my mate over to 'supervise' :rolleyes:, he's been playing strings for a long time so if I somehow manage to **** it up I can blame him :D

Advertisement