Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology Graduate

Options
  • 11-05-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I just finished college last week and I need to make sure I have a plan, otherwise I get anxious. I want to do a masters in counselling psychology, but obviously I need a bit more experience than I have. I'd love to be a care assistant but I'm not finding many courses in it. Some offer it to people who are currently working in a care assistant job, how does that make sense? A psychology degree and relative experience used to get you a care assistant job in the past but I heard that's not the case anymore. I registered with FAS today, who advised me to do a training course to be a medical secretary :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I registered with FAS today, who advised me to do a training course to be a medical secretary :confused:

Lesson number 1....never listen to FAS! With a psych degree? That was a ridiculous suggestion. :rolleyes:

Could you volunteer with the Samaritans or something similar to build up some experience? I know a friend that did that years back to build up experience before undertaking a masters in behavioral and cognitive psychotherapy.

Id say begin by making an appointment with the coordinator of the course (masters in counselling) that you intend on doing, or the dept head, and ask for some advice regarding your career path. They may even have some contacts to get you on the right road if you show your enthusiasm.

Good luck :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved from Graduate forum.

My advice would be to speak with your careers service or a senior member of your lecturing staff and ask for advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

You don't need any qualifications to be a care assistant. I did it for years part time. They'd employ absolutely anyone where I worked and I will never ever ever trust the HSE with my relatives knowing what goes on.

The problem isn't that you lack the qualifications, the problem is that they've drastically cut back on primary care. There are plenty of places that need volunteers though.

Advertisement