Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for golden retriever pup

Options
  • 11-05-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there im looking to buy a new puppy for me and my other half, we always lifted in rented accommodation with a small garden so didnt think it was fair to have one, but now we have a new house with loads of open area and loads of time to mind him, we have our heart set on a golden retriever.

I have being looking on Done deal but also seen the warnings off here about the breeders on there, i have seen an ad for pups in Tipperary who are " Ikc reg, micro chipped and vaccinated, 4 male 1female, both parents very gentle and great with kids. ready to go in 3 weeks"

I was just wondering what questions to ask the breeder and also what are the main differences between males and females, i have read about possible hip problems and really want to give myself the best chance to avoid this.

Thanks
    Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I generally prefer females. Though Golden Retrievers are lovely anyway, I find females dogs are often friendlier than males and better behaved. Just my experience though. Males can be more territorial and sometimes more aggressive, but Golden Retrievers aren't really an aggressive breed, and neutering helps anyway. I just prefer female dogs for their more girly sensitive temperament.

I'd take a look around where the puppies live, in the garden aswell. The puppies environment should be clean, so should the puppies and parents. The puppies shouldn't be too nervous. Their eyes, ears, noses and bums should be clean, but they might have a bit of food on their face. They should be bright and alert and active, and also sturdy and strong. That ad sounds good, but you should ask for the vaccination cards and that'll show that the puppies have been seen by a vet. You could ask the breeders what are some of the health problems associated with retrievers and have the parents been vet checked recently. You should get the papers before you leave, and if they say that they'll send them to you it might be a bad sign (though with my first dog, the breeder sent on the papers afterwards!).

Golden Retrievers can get hip dysplasia, so it's worth asking about it and asking how the parents' hips are.

One thing I find with Golden Retrievers is they can be really hairy and need a lot more grooming than people think. Once a week should be fine. I'd invest in a slicker brush (a kind of wire brush) which is great for them. Normal pin brushes aren't very good.

Good luck with the puppy! They're such nice dogs. I'd get one if my garden was bigger and fence was higher :)

Advertisement