Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Navy Suit/Shoes??

• 11-05-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

First of all, feel a bit stupid asking this. But I am the worst person when it comes to matching colours, and everyone else I have asked seems to have different opinions.

But basically, I am looking to invest in a suit for my graduation, have a cheap one that I got about 2 years ago thats black already, so was thinking about buying a navy one this time around, but the problem is what colour shoes would you wear with it without looking silly??

Or would I be better off avoiding a navy suit and going for something else?

Hopefully those of you in the fashion forum can help me :) cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Black or brown with navy. As it is an evening event I would go with black shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

First of all, feel a bit stupid asking this. But I am the worst person when it comes to matching colours, and everyone else I have asked seems to have different opinions.

But basically, I am looking to invest in a suit for my graduation, have a cheap one that I got about 2 years ago thats black already, so was thinking about buying a navy one this time around, but the problem is what colour shoes would you wear with it without looking silly??

Go ask in a suit shop what they think next time you're taking a day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You can wear any colour shoes with a navy suit, black, blue, white, red, brown. Whats more important as Billy implied is the event.
    If you were at a job interview then white or red shoes might be a tad over the top.
    If it's a very casual event then even spectator (two tone) shoes are good.
    Safest bet of all is black. Suitable for all occasions and therefore they will see most use of all your shoes. With that in mind you should invest in a good classic pair and learn to look after them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hi Ferris.

You've used a good word there: "invest". I bought my first suit for my college graduation and wore it precisely three times. Why? Because it was a terrible fit on me. I didn't know any better and it ended up being terrible value for money.

It will save you money in the long run to invest in a decent suit now, not to mention having it professionally tailored so that it really fits you well. You'll feel good in it and you'll find that you'll get more wear out of it over the years, therefore making it cheaper in the long run than my supposedly cheap suit that I wore just a few times!

Navy is perfectly fine - you could also choose charcoal - but whichever one you choose now, your next suit will probably be the other colour so don't break your heart over the choice. The reason for these colours is that they are, quite simply, the most versatile in any man's suit wardrobe, going with almost any shirt and tie.

But you asked about shoes, so I'd better get around to it.

If you rarely wear shoes such as those which one would wear with a suit, then a pair of good black shoes will be the most versatile. Why? Because you'll be able to wear them to weddings, funerals, graduations and interviews and they'll be absolutely appropriate for all of them. Invest in decent shoes in a classic style, look after them well (i.e. get some cedar shoe trees, some polish and some decent polishing brushes) and they'll last you for ages.

Advertisement