Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labtop wont boot Windows CD

• 11-05-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to repair a old laptop for a mate.

I put the windows cd into my laptop and it booted up.

I put it into the faulty laptop and it wont boot up.. I put a Ubuntu cd in and it booted up.. Now i've changed the start up to boot from CD...

so any idea why it wont boot ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You could try making an ultimate boot cd, then go to the dos prompt and run insert winxp cd, run setup from the dos prompt.http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/362/1/Install-XP-from-DOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

what do you mean exactly by won't boot. If you disable the hard drive in the bios as a boot option and press f12 and select the cd what exactly does it say?

When you say ubuntu booted fine, you mean on the broken laptop right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

would this be a copy of TinyXP by any chance?

You can buy stuff in maplins, tv shops for cleaning cds, or use the liquid from a 2euro vcr cleaning kit.The section with boot info on the winxp cd may be dirty,or scratched.

TRY to boot from another windows xp cd, can you borrow one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

the old laptop might only have a cd-reader drive. Are you trying to boot from a dvd by chance? also older laptop drives wont recognise modern modern cd burnt images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

wolfric wrote: »
    what do you mean exactly by won't boot. If you disable the hard drive in the bios as a boot option and press f12 and select the cd what exactly does it say?

When you say ubuntu booted fine, you mean on the broken laptop right?

I've disabed it. But it wont boot the Windows XP disk, But it did boot the Ubuntu Disk !! I've installed Ubuntu, But the Win XP disk still wont boot. But when i put the disk in this laptop it does boot
    Adam wrote: »
    would this be a copy of TinyXP by any chance?
    No it's Win XP SP3
    ricman wrote: »
    You can buy stuff in maplins, tv shops for cleaning cds, or use the liquid from a 2euro vcr cleaning kit.The section with boot info on the winxp cd may be dirty,or scratched.

Might be... but the disk does boot on other machines
    ricman wrote: »
    TRY to boot from another windows xp cd, can you borrow one?
    I might get one from work.. there's 100s of PC
    macnerdy wrote: »
    the old laptop might only have a cd-reader drive. Are you trying to boot from a dvd by chance? also older laptop drives wont recognise modern modern cd burnt images.

I checked that when it stated happening. It's a DVD drive and the Ubuntu i downloaded was burnt onto a blank DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Daft question but you are pressing the any key when prompted to do so or is that prompt not coming up at all? It always annoys me when I pop in the disk to boot from it and then come back to find it has skipped the disk.

You could always try making a bootable Flash drive

See here if using Vista or Win7 (ie you're making the bootable flash drive within this OS environment, doesn't necessarily have to be a boot disk for that OS)
    See here if using XP

Not sure what any key your talking about.

The Laptop now boots up in Ubuntu and works fine, When i go into Bios and set boot from CD/DVD that doesn't work.

Also when I put the DVD in and just try run in while Ubuntu is running I just get an Error.

I'm gonna try get a new Windows Disk, Wont be till monday tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

NeVeR wrote: »
    Not sure what any key your talking about.

The Laptop now boots up in Ubuntu and works fine, When i go into Bios and set boot from CD/DVD that doesn't work.

Also when I put the DVD in and just try run in while Ubuntu is running I just get an Error.

I'm gonna try get a new Windows Disk, Wont be till monday tho.

Antar thinking about a question, what is appear after just booted from XP install disk, like this: "Press any key for boot from CD". If you forget to press any key, it's automatically continue to boot from hard drive, this option not in connection of BIOS settings BOOT order!

• Advertisement

this doesnt appear... I go into the BIOS and select boot from CD/DVD drive and it just doesnt... It just boots stright into Ubuntu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Antar thinking about a question, what is appear after just booted from XP install disk, like this: "Press any key for boot from CD". If you forget to press any key, it's automatically continue to boot from hard drive, this option not in connection of BIOS settings BOOT order!

I know that, it only appears after you start booting from the CD, specifically the Windows XP CD.
    NeVeR wrote: »
    this doesnt appear... I go into the BIOS and select boot from CD/DVD drive and it just doesnt... It just boots stright into Ubuntu

As I said, it was a daft suggestion but since I've been caught by it a few times I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it just in case :)

It's only the Windows CD that does this, probably something akin to the "are you really sure you want to continue with this action you have previously confirmed several times already" messages.

Advertisement