Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesters storm the Dail??

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup, I'd like to know that too.

These people are idiots, I dont like the situation any more then they do but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!!

You dont want more cuts?? Then dont run the country into the ground and maybe we can get ourselves out of this.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I had a long post written out, but decided against posting it incase I got banned.

My opinion, in short, is that the protestors are a bunch of moronic fools who got what they deserved (they deserved more of a hiding!) :mad:

You forgot a bit...

Which protestors are moronic fools? The approx. 1000 that marched along not a bother or the 15 SWP people that tried to get through the gate?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The 15. Protesting is a right, I dont have a problem with people exercising that right but the ones causing violence are idiots.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 betagamma

I think the expression is 'cut your nose off DESPITE your face'. really c'mon literacy is at stake here folks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

National strike? No way. Like it or not(and the commies don't) we're part of the world economy and a national strike will only hurt our image which would hurt our pockets. Same with riots.

Things do need to change. The problem is the current way the government and its arms are set up is not conducive to such change. Too much parish pump politics makes many moves forward impotent. We also need to change proportional representation to reduce it's negative effects. The way portfolios/depts are appointed and run should be seriously looked at. Remove the seanad entirely. So FF/FG/Lab(delete as applicable) will change any of this? Turkeys wont vote for christmas, so forget about TD's doing so en masse. They only thing they do en masse is vote for higher wages(oft said but sadly true).

So how does Joe and Josephine Soap make their voices heard? Pick a tax. Car tax an obvious one. Refuse to pay it. Create a legal fund by subscription to cover legal costs when they try to make an example of someone. If even 30% refused to pay until real changes were afoot it would raise eyebrows where they need to be raised.

It'll never happen though. When Irish men and women in revolutions around the world ran out in front to make a change they could expect to see a crowd follow them. They could not nor should not expect that here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

oh, I will say this, those 1000 we foolish, they couldnt have known they would be used as cover for this merry band of marxists.

But they do now.

Anyone who turns up at the Tuesday one should make it VERY clear they are not part of the inevitable violence or accept that they are fellow travellers.

Thats one of the more annoying things about the tactics used by them, they have split the protest support because people wont want to be associated with them.

Anyone wanna take an over-under bet on 1000 people showing up on Tuesday??

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

betagamma wrote: »
    I think the expression is 'cut your nose off DESPITE your face'. really c'mon literacy is at stake here folks.
    Nope its to spite. Despite makes little or no sense /pedant

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes, the 15 who thought they were the A-Team and were gonna be on the front page of the papers standing on top of the Dàil with an Irish flag in hand as the Country listened to their every demand. :rolleyes:

That doesn't make any sense. He had it right. Now you post just looks silly.

No you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face

If you are going to be pedantic and smarmy about it... here's a tip: Be Right.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »

Anyone wanna take an over-under bet on 1000 people showing up on Tuesday??
    I'll say 400 odd.
    DeV.

DeV.
    so good they named him twice eh? :D

• Advertisement

No you are wrong.

DeV.
    get your hands on a thing called a dictionary and enlighten yis yourself!

Yes, the 15 who thought they were the A-Team and were gonna be on the front page of the papers standing on top of the Dàil with an Irish flag in hand as the Country listened to their every demand. :rolleyes:

That doesn't make any sense. He had it right. Now you post just looks silly.
    I saw your mother wi a mattress strapped t her back ....etc(said with a louth accent) bring back cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You were wrong.
    I saw your mother wi a mattress strapped t her back ....etc(said with a louth accent) bring back cromwell.

What now? :confused:

No you are wrong.

DeV.
    wow who'd have thought your reserch extended to wikipedia..excellent work 'stuck in my bedroom for the last four years boy'

get some new **** material.

Which word should I look up in this dictionary when I get it? You might have thought you meant "Thesaurus" (which is closer but still no cigar).

http://thesaurus.com/browse/to+spite+your+face

Really, just accept you are wrong about this too...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080610214844AAhHYul

I'll even back it up with logic, the idea is that you hate your face, so you chose to spite it by cutting off your nose, not realising that you are the one who will suffer, not your face.

In parallel, the protesters hate the government (the face) and to spite them they are going to attack the dail and strike and draw worldwide attention to Ireland (cutting off their nose) unfortunately the effect of that will be to focus speculation on Ireland and things will spiral worse for us as they did in Greece (us suffering and not "the face"/government).

By the way, I'm not patronising you, that would mean I in some way support you in life, rather I'm being condescending, I know its a big word but it means "talking down to...." ok?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

'stuck in my bedroom for the last four years boy'
    get some new **** material.

Spot the newbie :D

Anyway, my last word on this.

We deserve the politicians we elect.

http://www.brightidea.ie/jackiehealyrae/images/header1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

No you are wrong.

DeV.

Post of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

dotsman wrote: »
    As for when the recession precisely ends, it is difficult to pinpoint. But it certainly is in the process of ending and, if not already, will end during the coming months.

Perhaps you should read Goodbody's assessment from this morning:

Source
    LMAO, you do realise what you have linked to? An article produced by an AIB subsidiary that doesn't really say anything at all, very vague with feck all facts mixed in.

As for goodbodys stock picks, find yourself a chart & see how well they did since they recommended them, not too well I'm guessing :P

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the EURO is in big trouble while Gold hits records in ALL currencies. This depression is only getting warmed up I'm afraid, the smart money has already exited the market.

What?! :eek: The bastard never told me she was buying a mattress!

(Ruined your own points by "throwing the toys" by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,029 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Protesting is a right, I dont have a problem with people exercising that right but the ones causing violence are idiots.

DeV.
    Well said.

As much Protesting for instance that the Tea Party Movement does in the US - they have been rarely associated with violent acts or rioting.

Nevermind that they're being lead by quacks who claim to receive the word of God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

we are now like greece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

whitesands wrote: »
    LMAO, you do realise what you have linked to? An article produced by an AIB subsidiary that doesn't really say anything at all, very vague with feck all facts mixed in.

As for goodbodys stock picks, find yourself a chart & see how well they did since they recommended them, not too well I'm guessing :P

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the EURO is in big trouble while Gold hits records in ALL currencies. This depression is only getting warmed up I'm afraid, the smart money has already exited the market.

The general consensus is that the recession in Ireland will end some time between quarter 2 and quarter 3 of this year. From what I have seen, I find that to be a realistic assessment. Could this be wrong? Yes, unfortunately Greece, and other glabal events could impact us and draw out the recession. But for the moment, based on evidence available today, I believe that the recession is ending.

As for the Goodbody article I pointed to, I didn't say anything about agreeing with it or not. I included it because it is the beginning of things to come as more and more economists and economic studies will call the end of the recession.

Can Greece have an affect on us? Unfortunately yes. But as long as we distance ourselves from them by reigning in our budget deficit and getting our banks back in working order, the less of an impact it will have.

I don't agree that the Euro is necessarily in "big trouble". Yes, it is having problems, but in many ways, those problems are of benefit to us. We have suffered greatly from the Euro's strength compared to the dollar/pound over the past 2 years, and our economy will benefit greatly from its weakening.

As a matter of interest, when do you believe the recession will end? What actions do you think the government should take to end it? Do you believe an escalation of protests/industrial action (even a national strike) would harm or benefit our economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

coldwood92 wrote: »
    we are now like greece

Eh, we're not like Greece.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a819bfc8-5d27-11df-8373-00144feab49a.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

coldwood92 wrote: »
    we are now like greece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oWeaujOWXc

Overheal
    As much Protesting for instance that the Tea Party Movement does in the US - they have been rarely associated with violent acts or rioting.

Strange though innit? In many "Democratic" European countries they would have been prosecuted under "enticement to hatred" laws....

The general consensus is that the recession in Ireland will end some time between quarter 2 and quarter 3 of this year. From what I have seen, I find that to be a realistic assessment. Could this be wrong? Yes, unfortunately Greece, and other glabal events could impact us and draw out the recession. But for the moment, based on evidence available today, I believe that the recession is ending.

As for the Goodbody article I pointed to, I didn't say anything about agreeing with it or not. I included it because it is the beginning of things to come as more and more economists and economic studies will call the end of the recession.

Can Greece have an affect on us? Unfortunately yes. But as long as we distance ourselves from them by reigning in our budget deficit and getting our banks back in working order, the less of an impact it will have.

I don't agree that the Euro is necessarily in "big trouble". Yes, it is having problems, but in many ways, those problems are of benefit to us. We have suffered greatly from the Euro's strength compared to the dollar/pound over the past 2 years, and our economy will benefit greatly from its weakening.

As a matter of interest, when do you believe the recession will end? What actions do you think the government should take to end it? Do you believe an escalation of protests/industrial action (even a national strike) would harm or benefit our economy?
    Fcuk the banks, they are the problem, fractional reserve banking is the root of the problem.

You might look at xe.com to see how the EURO is doing but your missing the point, if it keeps declining at it's current rate even stupid people will realise their savings are being wiped out & thus move to something safe.

France & Germany are already mumbling about leaving the euro, the cabal of central bankers around the world are getting frightened now.
    As a matter of interest, when do you believe the recession will end?
    No idea, big changes will have to come about before this can even start to happen.

If the € keeps sinking we could be looking at this http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/argentinas-economic-collapse/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Fcuk the banks, they are the problem,
    Their actions during the past 10 years were part of the problem. The actions of politicians (both inside and outside of government), developers, journalists, unions, economists, regulators, planners, people in general, make up the other vital parts of the problem.
    fractional reserve banking is the root of the problem.
    It is? And what method of banking do you think we should adopt? Full-reserve, Islamic, Narrow? Even if you do believe we should change, exactly how do you suggest going about it?
    You might look at xe.com to see how the EURO is doing but your missing the point, if it keeps declining at it's current rate even stupid people will realise their savings are being wiped out & thus move to something safe.
    What point am I missing? You honestly didn't think the Euro would have such a huge disparity with the dollar/pound for ever, did you? We couldn't survive if the Euro had remained that strong forever. How, exactly, are peoples savings being wiped out?
    France & Germany are already mumbling about leaving the euro, the cabal of central bankers around the world are getting frightened now.
    Sensationalist journalism and EU-haters are mumbling about France/Germany leaving the Euro. I think it will take a lot more than the current situation for them to even seriously consider it.
    No idea, big changes will have to come about before this can even start to happen.
    Actually, if there are no more big changes we will continue to exit the recession as we are presently.
    If the € keeps sinking we could be looking at this http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/argentinas-economic-collapse/

That's some imagination you have! I'd tell you to write a book and get rich, but people, generally, like happy stories:D

Their actions during the past 10 years were part of the problem. The actions of politicians (both inside and outside of government), developers, journalists, unions, economists, regulators, planners, people in general, make up the other vital parts of the problem.

That's some imagination you have! I'd tell you to write a book and get rich, but people, generally, like happy stories:D
    If you read history books outside the mainstream you'd realise how naive you are.

Listen to a trader having a meltdown last thursday as the DOW dropped 900 points in 20 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUzigCDavU

Anyway, stick to your happy stories, I'm done with this thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

To be honest I think the politicians need to get a little scared, they're quite happy to let us have our peaceful protests as they think they don't have to worry about it and can just brush it aside,it's no harm we made our voices known and let them know we're not just going to sit quietly and take our medicine although there's no need to go crazy like Greece not matter what they say about us!:p And they didn't really 'storm' the Dail thats just media sensationalism. It involved a group of about 100 individuals and only two people got injured and they were minor injuries. The rest were out for a peaceful protest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement