Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good books on ravens

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Are there any/many books of recognised quality on ravens out there?

ATB,

John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Never come across a book specifically on Ravens and just had a look on www.abebooks.com in the New Naturalist section but nothing. Here's one calling on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/species/Common_Raven
    - we have plenty of them here in the Soggy South East. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cheers JD, I'll check those links out. Been reading "Running With The Fox" again, doing a short assignment on foxes as part of my course. Started thinking about ravens and realised I have no really good book on them!

John - slightly off topic but I just found this rather scary taxidermy website: http://www.antique-taxidermy.com/page/index.asp?pageCatID=36 - some of them make Hitchcock's movie seem quite tame. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

johngalway wrote: »
    Hello all,

Are there any/many books of recognised quality on ravens out there?

ATB,

John

Hi JohnGalway,

The definitive book on the Raven (I believe - haven't yet read it myself) is
    'The Raven: A Natural History in Britain and Ireland' by Derek Ratcliffe (ISBN: 0856610909 / 0-85661-090-9).

I have read and really enjoyed 'Ravens in Winter' by Bernd Heinrich (ISBN: 0679732365 / 0-679-73236-5). However it is about a long term study of the social behaviour and interaction of a population of Ravens in northeastern USA (same species, but from his account they sound a lot more social and therefore interesting than ours). Highly readable, and not a formal textbook, which the other one is. I will get the Ratcliffe when I get a chance.

After the recession.

Both actually available for small money 2nd hand on abebooks.

Enjoy.

LostCovey

After the recession is right :eek: They're not shy in the asking price.

• Advertisement

After the recession is right :eek: They're not shy in the asking price.

?

I didn't really think they were bad prices - roughly similar to the postage!

£2.75 for the Heinrich book and £12.72 for a first edition hardback of the Ratcliffe book seems reasonable. Mind you I am still not buying it yet.

LostCovey

I see what you mean. The ones I linked to above are secondhand, but if they are for reading, as opposed to collecting, I don't see the point of buying new.

LostCovey

Nah I wouldn't be looking at buying new either, readable is perfectly good enough for my purpose. I happened to be on Amazon buying second hand books which relate to, well, a plethora of different subjects of interest in my own locality so I said I'd check out those two raven books you suggested at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Has anybody seen the size of the Raven in our Natural History Museum !!?

(just inside the door and the first case on the right )

• Advertisement

Nah I wouldn't be looking at buying new either, readable is perfectly good enough for my purpose. I happened to be on Amazon buying second hand books which relate to, well, a plethora of different subjects of interest in my own locality so I said I'd check out those two raven books you suggested at the same time.

www.abebooks.com is the best place by a mile for secondhand. :)

Has anybody seen the size of the Raven in our Natural History Museum !!?

(just inside the door and the first case on the right )

I haven't seen that particular bird, but they are real big. I get close to them often enough, when the wind is right on a particular hill they seem to like surfing the thermals near the top, don't seem to be bothered by people when they're there.

Advertisement