Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a mod

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Just back after giving my new Sak a try out. I happy with it I waited over three months for one and the tried Gerry Scully in Athlone and it arrived the next day. However, the instructions state the following:
    it is neither necessary nor benefical to clean or disassemble.

So should I rund the brush and a pacth through it after use. It states it should be oiled, should I just run some oil throuh it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What calibre are you shooting through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

johngalway wrote: »
    What calibre are you shooting through it?

17HRM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Personally i would always clean a mod, whether the manual said to or not.

Here is another thread on the topic with others opinions and their methods for cleaning (if they do so).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Personally i would always clean a mod, whether the manual said to or not.

Here is another thread on the topic with others opinions and their methods for cleaning (if they do so).

Cheers mate, I give your method a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

Hi is your mod metal or plastic?
    If its the plastic one just pop it in the dishwasher. then just spray some oil into it. works for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I steep mine in a de-greaser, then scrub it with a brush about every 300 rounds.Mine gets stink as you can see in the pictures.
    seafield2008season060.jpgseafield2008season062.jpgseafield2008season063.jpg
    Then after.
    seafield2008season064.jpg

wow that is quiet a build up of residue alright, what make of bullet are you firing? god be with the days of the multiple baffles stuffed into a mod and the hour or more of having to clean them one by one, one in particular sticks in my mind it was a parker hale and it was a nightmare too, what make is that mod marlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

wow that is quiet a build up of residue alright, what make of bullet are you firing? god be with the days of the multiple baffles stuffed into a mod and the hour or more of having to clean them one by one, one in particular sticks in my mind it was a parker hale and it was a nightmare too, what make is that mod marlin?

The mod is a sak, and can't fault it, I use Hornady 17gr v-max all the time and find they suit my gun better than any of the rest, and before anyone says anything, I know all the ammo are loaded by cci,(i'm not going to start debating about different brand's of ammo) but different makes of 17hmr's prefer different types of ammo.

Thats unusual, would the build up of residue in the mod not affect the performance of it?? after 500 or so shots im sure there would be eventually a lot of build up inside. i think we should all make our own mods out of an old coke bottle and some duck tape just like jason bourne did lol :rolleyes:

marlin vs wrote: »
    The mod is a sak, and can't fault it, I use Hornady 17gr v-max all the time and find they suit my gun better than any of the rest, and before anyone says anything, I know all the ammo are loaded by cci,(i'm not going to start debating about different brand's of ammo) but different makes of 17hmr's prefer different types of ammo.

I use the same round and the its the same mod. The top unscrewed as I was taking it off, after 200 rounds its as bad if not worse as the pics you posted. My camera is down in Dublin so I can't post pics, but it looks like I will be using the method you described from now on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement