Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLACE NAMES IN DUNDALK

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Does anyone know the names today of streets like Caseys place,Shills yard,Parks yard,Laurances place in dundalk:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

have a look at google maps buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 20 glock34

These place names are from a long time before google maps
    over 100 years The question was what are they called now and where.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

caseys place is town parks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

event wrote: »
    caseys place is town parks

But where's town parks?

I once saw an old map that had Jocelyn St/Seatown Place marked as either Town Parks or Towns Park (can't remember which) but I wasn't aware of any place in Dundalk that is currently known as Town Parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is town parks not down the by the petrol station on the Castletown Road?

I miss Dundalk :( even starting to forget where place are :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

Featherbed lane... used to hear my granny talking bout it. Its the old name for williams place or river lane..... (think it was one of those 2).. I just remember her saying that it was really really tough spot and that it got the name from all the ducks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

glock34 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the names today of streets like Caseys place,Shills yard,Parks yard,Laurances place in dundalk:cool:

Firstly it's Sheils Yard and Laurence's Place. All were, in 1911, in the Dundalk North Ward for the census. Take it from there.

A nice research project for you. Keep in mind that many of these old streets do not have new names as they are completely gone.

Advertisement