Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtf do I do with Angostura Bitters???

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have inherited from a neighbour who is setting up home in the South of France (jammy B ) the contents of his drinks cabinet

amongst which was a bottle of angostura bitters

does anyone know of any recipes or cocktails that require the addition of this stuff please??

any help gratefully appreciated

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Nice to through a dash of it on top of a Mohito!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mylesie

BBDBB wrote: »
    I have inherited from a neighbour who is setting up home in the South of France (jammy B ) the contents of his drinks cabinet

amongst which was a bottle of angostura bitters

does anyone know of any recipes or cocktails that require the addition of this stuff please??

any help gratefully appreciated

cheers
    Pink Gin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

few tablespoons of angostura bitters mixed with lemonade , 7up, etc is also supposed to be good for killing off stomach bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Old Fashioned.

Also supposed to be very good cure for a Hangover is to add a dash of the stuff into some Soda water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

it's not the easiest thing to find.
    Hang onto it.. It'll come in handy some day.

And.. As previously said.. A drop or two on top of a mojito is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

wow! guys you have seriously impressed me with the prompt responses

I was thinking this thread would be a sinker

forgive my ignorance

whats a mojito and an old fashioned and a pink gin

I was hoping for some other ingredients, even recipes for cocktails or something, can you use it in food like worcester sauce or something??

Good in some Desserts.
    Below is the recipe for an old fashioned from here, which has lots more recipes for you.

OLD FASHIONED
    Pre dinner ( old fashioned glass )
    4.0 cl.Bourbon , Scotch or Rye whiskey
    1 sugar cube
    2 Dashes Angostura Bitter
    1 Splash Soda Water
    Place suger cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitter, as a dash of soda water. Muddle until dissolve. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whisky. Garnish with orange slice, lemon twist and two maraschino cherries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I bought a bottle of Angostura Bitters in Tescos ( uk) last year which included a little book of cocktail recipies but haven't got it to hand at the moement

Blackjack wrote: »
    Good in some Desserts.
    Below is the recipe for an old fashioned from here, which has lots more recipes for you.

OLD FASHIONED
    Pre dinner ( old fashioned glass )
    4.0 cl.Bourbon , Scotch or Rye whiskey
    1 sugar cube
    2 Dashes Angostura Bitter
    1 Splash Soda Water
    Place suger cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitter, as a dash of soda water. Muddle until dissolve. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whisky. Garnish with orange slice, lemon twist and two maraschino cherries

thanks

I dont have scotch or bourbon, but I do have irish whiskey and the rest ....I'll drink it without the garnish, no point getting too healthy with the 5 a day ;)

Latchy.......yer no help whatsoever, but thanks for the contribution to a thread I thought would be futile :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Moscow Mule.

Voddie
    Ginger beer
    Angostura
    Lime if you want.

Couple of drops of bitters and twist the glass to coat the inside.
    Bung in vodka
    Top up with Ginger beer

Dod of lime

Also very good for a bad stomach the next morning. Well we took it when I worked bars.

• Advertisement

Ive just made that Old fashioned.........its not half bad :D

BBDBB wrote: »
    Ive just made that Old fashioned.........its not half bad :D

They're tasty alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

on shot captain morgan
    Pineapple juice
    Drop of cream,
    Dash malibu
    2-3 drops of angostura bitters..

Nicest pina colada i've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Long Vodka:

Pour a dash of Angostura into a tall glass.
    Ensure the glass is lined with the angostura, then empty the rest.
    One shot of Vodka.
    A dash of 7-up or Schwepps tonic water.
    Add 4 ice cubes and a slice of lime.

thanks guys

much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

OK, I have tried absolutely everywhere I can think of in Dublin for Angosture Bitters and no one has it.
    Seeing as everyone here knows a good bit about it, can anyone tell me of anywhere that currently sells it - as in they actually have it on the shelf.
    It would be much appreciated :)

Apparently whoever used to Import into this country (I heard Diageo but could be wrong) stopped doing so.

Ebay can provide....

Yeah, I've seen it on ebay from America - I'm just holding out to see if I can avoid the $25 shipping on a $8 bottle.
    Oddbins in the UK have it but not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

axlf
    Where abouts are u ?
    I picked up a bottle of it in blarney before xmas... It was covered in dust.

I've yet to actually use it

• Advertisement

Seriously?
    I'm in Lucan, Dublin.
    If you're willing to part with it PM me :)

And apologies to the OP for going off topic.
    I normally drink whiskey with a little ice until the cows come home but sometimes I fancy something else. Angostura is perfect for cocktails using whiskey
    An Old Fashioned was previously mentioned - I had a few of these in The Merchant Hotel in Belfast and they were outstanding, but every drink in that place is outstanding.
    There's one called Blarney which has 1.5 shots Whiskey, 1 shot vermouth, dash of creme de menthe and dash of Angostura - The bitters offsets the mint and it's very refreshing, but with no bitters it's like Listerine - tasty,tasty Listerine.
    Leave out the creme de menthe and it's called a Blackthorn.
    A Manhattan has 1.5 Canadian Club (or Rye whiskey if you can find it), 1 vermouth and a dash of Angostura. Very nice.
    And a Zazarac which has 1.5 Bourbon, 2 dashes of pernod, 2 dashes Angostura and a squeeze of orange juice. I haven't tried this one yet personally.

AxlF wrote: »
    OK, I have tried absolutely everywhere I can think of in Dublin for Angosture Bitters and no one has it.
    Seeing as everyone here knows a good bit about it, can anyone tell me of anywhere that currently sells it - as in they actually have it on the shelf.
    It would be much appreciated :)

I saw some in ASDA earlier today, just over £5 a bottle, but thats in the UK, it was on the aisle with all the spirits and mixers, eyelevel shelf, far left, next to the bottles of luminous colours with odd names, that you win in raffles and only drink when its 3 am everything else is gone and you suddenly get an urge to finish the evenings refreshment with a fruit based alcoholic chemistry concoction that will make you pass out, wake up tasting carpet and dried vomit and with an eyebrow missing and the words "Batty Boy" written on your forehead in eyeliner

hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pmcg343

great as a refreshing low alcohol drink, big in Oz. large glass fill with ice, 5 drops of angostura bitters, squeese a lime(or lime cordial/juice), fill up with Leomonade and a garnish of lemon. very refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pmcg343

they have it in Redmonds, Deveneys and Jus de vine

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

wow I had a lady in with me yesterday she gave me a list for Creole christmas cake
    its angostra bitters
    brandy
    rum
    cherry brandy and
    port
    plus all the other food stuff
    Its distributed by Edward dillon % co
    If anyone wants Pm me your phone number and Ill get some in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarciegit

wow I had a lady in with me yesterday she gave me a list for Creole christmas cake
    its angostra bitters
    brandy
    rum
    cherry brandy and
    port
    plus all the other food stuff
    Its distributed by Edward dillon % co
    If anyone wants Pm me your phone number and Ill get some in for you.

Edward Dillon have never distributed Angostua. Its being distributed by PBB now, pm me if you need contact details. Angostura do fantastic rums as well

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I was running off memory there with Dillons but I can get it Ive had a few requests over the past few weeks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Who are PBB?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarciegit

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Who are PBB?

Premier Beverage Brands, pm me if you need contact details

• Advertisement
Advertisement