Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Question

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but was wondering if i could lend a game to a friend of mine that was registered through steam?

Just cause 2, bought the disc but had to set up a steam account to register it, so if i lent it to a friend and gave him the log in to steam would he be able to play away on it? Or would i even need to give him the steam log in?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its tied to Your steam account which means You can download it on any pc and play it once You're logged into steam.

Then when its installed click File--> Offline mode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers! So i don't actually need to install it off the disk!? I'll bring it with me anyway at the weekend.

Thanks for that.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bring the /steamapps folder along to copy to the other machine if possible so you won't have to download it again :).

Not sure if you can use the CD to avoid downloading the game when it is already installed on an account.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Cheers! So i don't actually need to install it off the disk!? I'll bring it with me anyway at the weekend.

Thanks for that.:)

No, but its probably best to install it from disk as it'd take ages to download, it'll update online after

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, but its probably best to install it from disk as it'd take ages to download, it'll update online after

That answers part two of my post anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Then when its installed click File--> Offline mode ;)
    I need to try this out but wouldn't that stop you from playing the file anywhere else?

My thinking is by going to offline mode youre telling steam to give computer A exclusive access to these titles. So if Computer B logs in and tries to play them, it wont be able to.

Overheal wrote: »
    I need to try this out but wouldn't that stop you from playing the file anywhere else?

My thinking is by going to offline mode youre telling steam to give computer A exclusive access to these titles. So if Computer B logs in and tries to play them, it wont be able to.

No, offline mode is like it says, offline and single player only. Once You set Steam to launch in offline mode it'll stay that way. You can have Steam installed on lots of pc's but can only go online on one pc at any time, You can play the same install of the game on many pc's at the same time as long as they're all offline. There is no limit on the amount of pc's it can be installed on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

My query answered - and then some :pac:

This is why I like Steam, its an un-opposing drm. Ok, You've got to activate it online but once its done You can go to any pc in the world and download and play Your games. It keeps Your game fully up to date with the latest patches and saves You the bother. Steam Cloud was supposed to backup all Your gamesaves online (not sure if it works for all games, its implemented for l4d), so You could easily download the game in any internet cafe worldwide and continue on Your single player game. It won't be long before integrated graphics on motherboards can handle the Source engine in full HD, giving the ability to play on absolutely any modern pc.

Its a pity Steams pricing can be crazily overpriced for new games, but I love to go mad once a year during their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i thought theres a limit on the number of PCs you can register a single steam account to?

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    i thought theres a limit on the number of PCs you can register a single steam account to?

No limit, You can use one steam account on as many computers as you'd like, but you can only be logged into it on one computer at a time. Some non-Valve games can have limited activations though

Advertisement