Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1720 3GB ram - Guidance on Max ram needed (4Gb or 6Gb)

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,
    I have a DELL inspiron 1720 and wnat to upgrade the RAM.
    I have installed Win 7 64 bit and when looking around I am getting different information.

dell say max is at 4GB, however, This indicated the Bios A09 can take 6GB ram (http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/305464-inspiron-1720-6gb-ram-tested.html)

Has anyone experience here?

Is there anywhere / Anyone in Dublin or Meath Area that will allow you to install RAM to test before purchase.

Thanks

Steve:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

I might be wrong but...

Dell probably said 4GB max as I'm assuming it came with a 32bit OS before you installed Win 7 64bit, so if the BIOS says 6GB max then I would go with what the BIOS is saying.

Although I would wait for a more techie answer before doing anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Get 4GB. 6GB would give you precious little benefit over 4GB even with a 64bit OS and would cost vastly more money as one of the SODIMMs would have to be an uber-pricey 4GB module.

Advertisement