Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belladonna back with Anthrax

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Joey Belladonna Returns to Anthrax
    Aidin Vaziri|05.11.2010Joey Belladonna, who sang on Anthrax’s breakthrough albums, such as 1985’s Spreading The Disease and 1990’s Persistence Of Time, is returning to the band for their string of summer dates with Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth.

“I got a call from their manager who said that everyone wanted me back in the band,” Belladonna said. “I thought, ‘Are you guys for real? You want me up there, fronting the band like it was before?’ I was thrilled. We’ve already started to reconnect with the old ways of having conversations. Everything is easy going and feels really good.”

This will mark the third time Belladonna has fronted the thrash-metal band during its 25-year run, having previously been replaced by Dan Nelson and John Bush.

“The band has been on an emotional roller coaster since last summer, but I think everything that we’ve had to deal with during that time was pushing us toward this, to Joey being back in Anthrax, and the timing couldn’t be more perfect or appropriate,” said drummer Charlie Benante.

Anthrax will be joining its Big Four tour partners at the Sonisphere Festival on June 16 at the Bemowo Airport in Warsaw, Poland. The group will remain on the tour through August while playing several headlining shows on the side.

The band also hopes to enter the studio and have a new album ready for early 2011.

“We’re going to do these summer shows and gel as a band, get comfortable playing with each other again, and the energy from that should go right into making new music,” Benante said.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/anthrax-0511/

What do people think about this?

Myself I am a bit torn. I love Anthrax, grew up with their music from A Fistful Of Metal (yes I know Belladonna is not on this album :P) onwards and as such love the Belladonna years, but John Bush was so damn good that he became the voice of Anthrax to my ears.

Plus I think the band have jerked Bush around yet again. In March he announced he was pretty much back for good and that he was hoping that they could record a new album rather than just having him sing onto the tracks that were written with Dan Nelson, and he suggested the idea odf an EP with him singing the Nelson stuff so that the other guys in the band would get to release that stuff.

Now not two months later Belladonna gets unveiled and he suddenly wants to record a new album despite saying in 2007 that he has no interest in doing so, despite his comeback to the band in 2005 to 2007 meaning that Bush was screwed over in his role as lead singer.

Another thing will be that the John Bush stuff will now pretty much vanish from the live set lists as Belladonna does not like singing it, and anyone who has heard Belladonna attempt Only during his comeback in 2005-2007 will know how much he struggles to sing the Bush material.

Another pisser is that a new album will now take until at least 2011 to come out, so now it has been2005,2006,2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 where a new album has been cancelled.

I had heard some of the Worship Music tracks when I saw them play live with Dan Nelson singing, so was really stoked when Bush was back as he would have taken that stuff up a notch, so for me Belladonna had better have some amazing singing left in him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I like both Bush & Belladonna singing for Anthrax so i'm happy with either one.

Unfortunately i don't think this is the end of the vocalist problems Anthrax seem to be having, i can see Joey getting out again within 6 months and the band being back to square 1 :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

scudzilla wrote: »
    I like both Bush & Belladonna singing for Anthrax so i'm happy with either one.

Unfortunately i don't think this is the end of the vocalist problems Anthrax seem to be having, i can see Joey getting out again within 6 months and the band being back to square 1 :(:(

That is my main worry. He came back last time and did the tour, with plenty of onstage patter about how he was back and would be there for new stuff.

Then the idea of new stuff was brought up after the tour and he bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Maybe an idea for them would be to have 2 singers, A session studio guy and Joey for the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

scudzilla wrote: »
    Maybe an idea for them would be to have 2 singers, A session studio guy and Joey for the road??

Maybe they just should not have jerked Bush around then they would have had a great live singer who would be there for the studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

what an absolute joke! I thought Bush was back in. Though in a recent interview Bush was kind cagey about being back, what with armored saint.

But this is actually gone beyond a joke. A few months back Benante was saying he was thrilled that Bush was back, now he's thrilled Belladonna is back.

I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt that Bush was back, and looking forward to some new stuff, but f**k it, that's the end of them for me.

Bush in Anthrax is my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

but John Bush was so damn good that he became the voice of Anthrax to my ears.

definetly
    "persistence of time" was my first album to hear from anthrax
    but "sound of white noise" and john bush singing IMO was a far better album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

endasmail wrote: »
    but John Bush was so damn good that he became the voice of Anthrax to my ears.

definetly
    "persistence of time" was my first album to hear from anthrax
    but "sound of white noise" and john bush singing IMO was a far better album

yeah, persistence is a great album, but I prefer Bush. The Greater of Two Evils is a cool album too.

So, I just got my hands on the latest armored saint to get some John Bush instead..

Advertisement