Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentally exhausted!!

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Lately i've been feeling very tired and have been suffering from headaches most days after school! I've tried going to bed early but i still feel exhausted! it's really affecting my ability to study or even function at all! Is anyone getting this??.... i'm currently taking vitamins and iron to see if it helps and if it doesn't improve i'll see the doctor!!...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was talking about this at lunch yesterday and pretty much everyone was the same. I'd get home from school round half four, start homework at 5 and by half seven/eight I'm absolutely wrecked I have to stop. Berocca seems to be working for me but I only started taking it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

hmm berroca...forgot about that lifesaver:P.... I think it's wrong that this exam puts so much stress on us :(

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    hmm berroca...forgot about that lifesaver:P.... I think it's wrong that this exam puts so much stress on us :(

I know what you mean, it's dreadful but on the bright side it'll all be over soon! Then we have two months to destress and relax :D

I like your optimistic approach on things :) Lets sail through this with a half full glass of berocca at hand :)

I like your optimistic approach on things :) Lets sail through this with a half full glass of berocca at hand :)

lol will do =) I'm freaking out on the inside though, so much work to be done, not enough time and all that. Trying not to think about it :cool:

• Advertisement

Being freaked out can be a good thing :) good motivation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How much sleep are you getting? You'd want to be getting 8 hours, bear minimum. I find this difficult myself, but tbh, adequate sleep is nearly as crucial in LC as study itself. No adequate sleep - cannot study - more stress. Bad cycle.

Failing that (although you'd really be better off), you could also try napping more, maybe come home from school, go for a nap for a half an hour or an hour. It's great! Although you might be abit groggy getting up from a nap, a quick wash of the face and cup of tea and you should be good to go.

Healthy diet is also important for energy levels, but more often than not with students it's the sleep thing.

Best of luck in your exams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Hmm...Berocca.

That has other uses than relieving hangovers?? :eek:

Never had it before school!

jumpguy wrote: »
    How much sleep are you getting? You'd want to be getting 8 hours, bear minimum. I find this difficult myself, but tbh, adequate sleep is nearly as crucial in LC as study itself. No adequate sleep - cannot study - more stress. Bad cycle.

Failing that (although you'd really be better off), you could also try napping more, maybe come home from school, go for a nap for a half an hour or an hour. It's great! Although you might be abit groggy getting up from a nap, a quick wash of the face and cup of tea and you should be good to go.

Healthy diet is also important for energy levels, but more often than not with students it's the sleep thing.

Best of luck in your exams. :)
    Thanks for the advice!
    I've been sleeping well...since yesterday :P so i'm 'gonna try and work up a routine for this next month!! my diet isnt great :O i'm on a program with a diet consisting of high protein low carb... probably a big factor in relation to low energy levels...i'm thinking that now is a bad time to diet!!

Being freaked out can be a good thing :) good motivation :)

Definitely true, makes me work harder I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

You're almost on the home straight but it's really important to look after yourself at the moment. 8 hours sleep, 3 healthy meals a day plus energy snacks and some exercise & fresh air too everyday! Berroca is not so great as it's packed full of sugar. It's give you a burst of energy but then you'll feel tired again. Your brain burns up alot of energy when you're studying so it's important to replace it! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

i'm currently taking vitamins and iron to see if it helps and if it doesn't improve i'll see the doctor!!...
    Just take a break.There's no point in studying if you're wrecked,you won't take anything in and you'll just end up feeling worse than you did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thanks for the advice!
    I've been sleeping well...since yesterday :P so i'm 'gonna try and work up a routine for this next month!! my diet isnt great :O i'm on a program with a diet consisting of high protein low carb... probably a big factor in relation to low energy levels...i'm thinking that now is a bad time to diet!!
    Ughh....diets. Diet is simple really, it's all about balance. Carbs are important at the end of the day, especially now, as you need energy. To burn excess just exercise, which will also make you feel much better, help your energy levels, reduce stress. Go for a swim, go to the gym, go for a jog...the options are numerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I'm tired all the time, permenant headaches, no energy

and when I go to sleep I can't because I panic about all the work i have to do :(

bad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ya i'm the same.Have startedgetting headaches after school too and all I want to do is sleep.Suppose theres only a little over a months left till its all over so I'll last.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks for the advice!
    Put that bit to music and sing it! :)

Study is important, obviously, but just as important right now are:
    1) sleep
    2) sensible eating
    3) exercise / fresh air

Get at least 8 hours sleep. Eat sensibly, avoid a lot of sugary "quick boost" stuff. Get some fresh air each day and some exercise, even if it's only walking / cycling.

If you're in a cycle, and it sounds like you are, consider taking the weekend totally off. Get plenty of sleep, and get out of the house altogether during the day, so you won't be looking at the books and feeling guilty. Do something enjoyable, preferably involving fresh air and exercise ... go hillwalking maybe!

Try not to go on the tear, though that doesn't mean you have to sit at home either! :p Moderation in all things ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I'm very mentally exhausted this year... Here hoping to God things work out for this year.

I have decided not to care about my weight though... I'm overweight buy I find if I worry about it it takes my focus of studying. But randylonghorn is right... Fresh air from time to time is good and definately can make u feel better about exams and studying. I'm worrying about weight loss and working out after exams are over.

I always feel like sleeping after school myself... I have been sick all week but whenever I come home from school I find it impossible to study. I just end up tottaly sleeeepy... So then I drink coffee and find it impossible to concentrate. But I have been on galfar tablets recently and find I have more mental and physical energy... Also I have an energy drink from time to time n making sure I have plenty of water. And cranberry juice is helping too.

I'm going to start waking up early for the whole of next week and studying for 2 hours before school rather than after... I find it easy to study in the mornings..going to go to Saturday morning studies is school now too until the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

im the same. Im completely stressed and constantly tired.Get headaches and stomach pains...completely anxious and am dreading it! Im not a good tester :(

Folks, I feel for ye. 'tis about ten years since I did the leaving but it was an awful slog, I wasn't overly concerned as I needed 200 odd points and knew I'd get the 400 but it was still not pleasent. All I can say is that it is genuinley tough and it does take a lot out of you, so if you feel not great you certainly are not unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

At the end of the day, it's just a memory test on stuff you'll completely forget after the huge piss-up you're inevitably going to have straight after the last exam. If you think of it like that, doesn't seem so scary does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it's just a memory test on stuff you'll completely forget after the huge piss-up you're inevitably going to have straight after the last exam. If you think of it like that, doesn't seem so scary does it?

Kinda does when everything is riding on it. (for me anyway)
    I feel its either gonna ,make or break me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Kinda does when everything is riding on it. (for me anyway)
    I feel its either gonna ,make or break me :(

I wish I could hug you; I feel exactly the same. Every aspect of my life depends on June. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I'm anaemic on top of all my extra tiredness too :( Not cool!

Though, just this week, I've been converted to NAPPING. Seriously, two hours after you get home, have a nap! You'll feel so much better, really! It's much better than starting study at 5 and being burnt out by 7. Start at 6 or 7 after the nap and it's grand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I remember back from my LC year, I used to come home from scholl around 4 and work from 5 till about 1 or 2 am. Apart from being natually able to do so much work, I advise to eat chocollate, drink nice coffee and take 5-10 minute brakes every so often. Also, eat proper meals regularly. A sandwich or a roll is not really a proper meal. Have some soup - really turns on your brain. Have some fish - also very good for your brain and memory.
    And finally, try to feel interested in the work you're doing. So that you don't feel like you're forced to learn stuff you will never need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

This has happened to me a few times, I'm a vegetarian which means if I'm not sleeping much/not eating properly my iron levels just crash which makes me feel even worse alongside the stress. If you're feeling headachey, panicky etc the best advise I can give is just to take 24 hours off, at least take the morning off of school to give yourself a lie in, sit in front of the tv with some pizza and chocolate in the afternoon/evening and try to relax, just for one day to rest yourself. If you're tired and headachey you're not going to be studying productively anyway so you're better off just giving yourself a one day recovery so that you can do a week's productive work after.

As a quick fix, I usually take my dog for a 20 minute walk with my iPod on when I'm getting nowhere with studying, the fresh air wakes me up and clears my head.

I recommend a berocca boost, multivitamin tablet and a 'spatone' iron supplement (they're sachets you add into your orange juice) at breakfast time everyday, it works for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ah the famous leaving cert of last yr:D its much easier than you all think it will be. i was sayin the exact same things as ye on this last year. you'l only study the best when you reach a point when your mind says, hey i know i gotta get going know and you automatically get your own ass into gear. this usually happens about 2weeks away:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Ah, I remember feeling like this a fair bit last year. First of all, there's not much point in trying to study if you're mentally exhausted, because you won't be able to concentrate and you won't retain any of the information you cover. If you feel completely burnt out, consider taking a day off study altogether. It might make all the difference. I used to drink a strong cup of coffee after getting home from school, just to give myself a boost. I tried Berocca a couple of times but I seem to be immune to its effects - it makes no difference to my energy levels!:p Take regular breaks from study, and make sure you take some time off every day to talk to your friends, listen to music, watch tv, anything to blow off some steam. And make sure you get enough sleep. That's probably the most important thing.

Advertisement