Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop out of warranty, fubar'd..Merchantable Quality?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I've got a HP dv9702ea that was bought in April 2008. It cost a considerable amount of money at the time, between 650 and 800 euro in Currys.

The standard manufacturers warranty was 1 year, there is no extended warranty so the laptop has been out of warranty for 1 year at this stage.

It began having display problems a few months back, nothing would show up on the screen and the backlight wouldn't even light up. A few restarts fixed this. However the problem is no permanent, I have no LCD display.

It's as if the machine is on standby only it isn't because I can hear the noise for Windows starting up. I don't see anything on the screen ever, no BIOS, no Windows logo nothing. It never gets warm like it would if the backlight was on and I can't see anything no matter how faint (if I could it would point to an inverter problem). Googling around seems to produce a lot of results on the HP support forum where HP's stance is "There is no official problem, but a lot of customers are having this fault. We'll fix it, but it's going to cost you because you're out of warranty". A lot of models from the dv9xxx series were put onto an extended warranty because of a problem with the graphics chipset (nVidia). Unfortunately this model wasn't amongst the group.

Can a laptop that cost so much be expected to only last 2 years? Or even less if you count when it started getting faulty.. Would I even have a case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Certainly you would have a case. Under the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980, the laptop must last a reasonable amount of time, though this time is not defined. 2 years is unreasonable in my opinion and I would wager most others would say the same from what I have read on here.

Speak to the manager in Currys calmly and explain that you expect the problem to be rectified. Bring up this particularly act in a nice way if they won't play ball. If they still won't play ball, send a registered letter outlining your complaint and asking them to rectify it to your satisfaction within 2 weeks. If no response, apply to Small Claims Court. Only costs €15, so nothing to lose there. If they (Currys that is) try and refer you to manufacturer, refuse. The onus is on Currys to sort this out. I would say you will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Someone else having a similar issue here OP: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65844458#post65844458

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Many thanks Tommy, I'll get on to Currys and ask to speak to the manager and take it from there. At least I know i'm not alone with 2 years being a reasonable timeframe for a laptop that I spent the guts of €1000 on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're best off putting you case forward in writing, and if they refuse to do anything, get that refusal in writing too. You can then take it to the Small Claims Court. If all your dealings are in person, or over the phone, then you have very little evidence to submit. Written is always best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

jor el wrote: »
    You're best off putting you case forward in writing, and if they refuse to do anything, get that refusal in writing too. You can then take it to the Small Claims Court. If all your dealings are in person, or over the phone, then you have very little evidence to submit. Written is always best.

I'll go with letters then jor el, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'll go with letters then jor el, thanks :)

And send them by registered post. You will then have a record of SOMEBODY receiving them rather than them getting "lost in the post".

Advertisement