Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lipstick help!

• 11-05-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm really clueless about make up I'm one of those people that has one foundation, lipstcik, mascara etc and use them up completely before I buy a new one. I saw this pic on lookbook: http://lookbook.nu/look/456759-Courtney

Firstly I'm so in love with this girls complexion, I really really want a lipstick in that shade/tone can anyone help? One that stays put would be good seeing as it's such a striking colour.

red-hair.jpg
    This pic is close enough to my hair colour, I have green eyes and pale skin, can I pull that shade of lipstick off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I haven't got my glasses on so I can't tell if that's red or a purple colour but if you can get this brand in the colour you're looking for you'll be set. I have it in the bright red colour, I'm not even exaggerating when I say if I wear it out, I wake up the next day and it's still looking just as perfect. No need for lip liner either. You can rub your lips, drink without a straw, kiss people (ok, within reason, it'll wear off your lips but not on to the other person) and eat and it doesn't budge (seriously, it looked like this when I woke up the next day!.) The only time it moved was when I ate a pasta dish with a greasy sauce, but the colour just faded, it didn't smudge.

Make sure you put it on properly. Take your time putting the colour on, once it's on, it's not coming off, and leave plenty of time until it's thoroughly dried before you put the balm on. Don't be tempted to put more colour on as the night goes on, if you put loads on the colour clumps and balls off a bit.

It really is the business, and only about €10 too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Wow that colour is deadly michelleman. I wear believe it or not a cheap red lippy from Boots Natural Collection similar to Macs Ruby Woo. Now it needs re applying but great if you cant splash out. Sapsorrow I used to have that colour hair and have a pretty pale complexion and green/hazel eyes so go for bright red with a slight hint of brown...hard to explain exactly as my lippys are cheap ones..I dont go for uber bright that has orange or harsh pink....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I haven't got my glasses on so I can't tell if that's red or a purple colour but if you can get this brand in the colour you're looking for you'll be set. I have it in the bright red colour, I'm not even exaggerating when I say if I wear it out, I wake up the next day and it's still looking just as perfect. No need for lip liner either. You can rub your lips, drink without a straw, kiss people (ok, within reason, it'll wear off your lips but not on to the other person) and eat and it doesn't budge (seriously, it looked like this when I woke up the next day!.) The only time it moved was when I ate a pasta dish with a greasy sauce, but the colour just faded, it didn't smudge.

Make sure you put it on properly. Take your time putting the colour on, once it's on, it's not coming off, and leave plenty of time until it's thoroughly dried before you put the balm on. Don't be tempted to put more colour on as the night goes on, if you put loads on the colour clumps and balls off a bit.

It really is the business, and only about €10 too :)

Looooooove the colour of your lips! What is the name / number of that lipstick?! I know it's Maybelline but what's it called? I gotta have it! <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks guys! Love that pic mm you look gorgeous in it! It's the slight hint of plum in louises I like so much I already have a really classic bright red channel but I don't wear it too often, it's quite striking and I could prob do with getting my teeth bleached! ;) I think one with a hint of plum might be more wearable with the colours I tend to wear in my clothes. Not sure with my hair though...

Sorry for dragging your thread off there, Sapsorrow! I love that girls lookbook, she's got some amazing clothes and she's really pretty. I'm not too sure about the lipstick 'cause I really only wear red and nude myself, but I'm sure you'd find a kinda plum one anywhere. Try MAC, their lipsticks stay on for aaaages!

• Advertisement

If you already have a red colour you could try filling your lips in with a burgundy pencil (mac have gorgeous one atm) and then putting the red over. Unfortunately I don't know a lipstick that colour. I don't use look book but is there an option for you to message that girl? She probably wouldn't mind telling you what it is.

Thanks Novella :)This is the one I have. It's superstay lipcolour in red, number 743 :)

Edit, oops! That's not it. I have the box here in front of me and it's called Red passion, number 510. Which isn't on their site... I only bought it in boots though about a month ago so I'd say it's still there. :)

Thanks Novella :)This is the one I have. It's superstay lipcolour in red, number 743 :)

Thank you :) I already have a zillion red lipsticks, but one more won't hurt! :pac:

EDIT : Just saw your edit! Thanks!!! :)

Novella wrote: »
    Thank you :) I already have a zillion red lipsticks, but one more won't hurt! :pac:

I was wrong. Had to edit it! Sorry!

Novella wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging your thread off there, Sapsorrow! I love that girls lookbook, she's got some amazing clothes and she's really pretty. I'm not too sure about the lipstick 'cause I really only wear red and nude myself, but I'm sure you'd find a kinda plum one anywhere. Try MAC, their lipsticks stay on for aaaages!

No probs I'm after falling in love with her blog, where does she get such flawless style from! It's amazing the talent and beauty some are so lucky to posess.

Thanks for the tip MM! I'll pop into boots and check out that range of lippies next time I get a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I loooove the look...but...and sorry to get personal but that "strong and bold" red hair and dark red lip look can really only be carried off continually by someone who is confident and doesnt "question" the look.

Does that make sense?

Theres sooo many looks and styles id love to "have" but in reality its a saturday night job. But,gorgeous though even if its only a one night...or constant look :)

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    I loooove the look...but...and sorry to get personal but that "strong and bold" red hair and dark red lip look can really only be carried off continually by someone who is confident and doesnt "question" the look.

Does that make sense?

Theres sooo many looks and styles id love to "have" but in reality its a saturday night job. But,gorgeous though even if its only a one night...or constant look :)

I think I know what you mean, hence I just DON'T do pastels! :D ya confidence can make the difference alright, apparantly I come across as very confident a few people have said that to me and the boyf is adament that I do although tbh I feel far from it most of the time. Gonna pop into boots and see what I can find in that range MM reccomended. I already have a kinda light plum lippy that I love and I think suits me so will give a more bold version a go and see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

hey all,

just wanted to let you know boots are having a 3 for 2 on maybelline at the moment. I got mm's lipstick (yes 510 is still in stock) and another colour and dream satin foundation that was recommended on another thread for about 23 euro!!!

Just ordered myself revlon colour stay velvet red after looking at this blog: http://www.doedeereblogazine.com/articles/category/photoshoots/page/4

Which I am enamoured with at the moment, she says this is one of her favourites and it looks amazing in her pics;

redlipstick.jpg

redlipstickcloseup.jpg

And she has the exact same hair colour and skine tone in these two pics to me so I know it'll suit me so handy! Gonna be stealing loads of make up ideas off her (she does tutorials if anyones interested). I want that hat so so badly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Gorgeous Sapsorrow! Thanks to this thread, I got the Maybeline 'Red Passion' yesterday as I'm going to a wedding next weekend and need it to last! I'm going for a 50's rockabilly look so I'm delighted with it :)

Dolorous wrote: »
    Gorgeous Sapsorrow! Thanks to this thread, I got the Maybeline 'Red Passion' yesterday as I'm going to a wedding next weekend and need it to last! I'm going for a 50's rockabilly look so I'm delighted with it :)

Class look! I love bright red lippy and red hair classic! Can't wait to get mine now jsut in time for the summer.

That sounds fab Dolorous!

Make sure you exfoliate you lips before you use it, and use a lip balm about 10 minutes before hand. Let it sink in and when your lips feel dry to touch (as in you can't feel anymore product, but they're still moisturised) then apply it. I found if I put it on when i had vaseline on then it wiped off.

Also, when you put it on, put it on your lips when they're stretched out (kinds like how I was smiling in that pic) or else when you do smile for photos the colour will look cracked.

Enjoy the wedding! You shoud post pics of what you're wearing in the 'what I wore today thread'! I'd love to see the rock'a'billy outfit! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks MM! Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to choose from :)

That sounds fab Dolorous!

Make sure you exfoliate you lips before you use it, and use a lip balm about 10 minutes before hand. Let it sink in and when your lips feel dry to touch (as in you can't feel anymore product, but they're still moisturised) then apply it. I found if I put it on when i had vaseline on then it wiped off.

Also, when you put it on, put it on your lips when they're stretched out (kinds like how I was smiling in that pic) or else when you do smile for photos the colour will look cracked.

Enjoy the wedding! You shoud post pics of what you're wearing in the 'what I wore today thread'! I'd love to see the rock'a'billy outfit! :)

:eek: Exfoliate your lips!? :confused: For real? What with? Jesus I don't know anything about make up! MM I might enlist your help in the next few weeks to revamp my make up bag if you don't mind! Been thinking I could do with sorting it out I'm terrible with choosing make up and putting it on.

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    :eek: Exfoliate your lips!? :confused: For real? What with? Jesus I don't know anything about make up! MM I might enlist your help in the next few weeks to revamp my make up bag if you don't mind! Been thinking I could do with sorting it out I'm terrible with choosing make up and putting it on.

Ah just give them a quick rub with a dry toothbrush. If theres any dry skin or if they're chapped it will stop the lipstick going on smoothly.

I'll help as much as I can but I really am no expert!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ive always found that i look a bit clownish if i wear red lipstick. I just dont think it suits me because i have quite full lips and it looks like an awful lot of colour, even when i keep everything else very minimal. Its actually a real shame because i LOVE red lipstick :(

• Advertisement

Are you sure? Scarlet johansson pulls it off and she's got mega full lips!

Scarlett+Johansson+for+Dolce+and+Gabbana+Pictures+3.jpg

Hmm...she certainly does. Maybe it just doesnt suit me then :(

Hmm...she certainly does. Maybe it just doesnt suit me then :(

Maybe you've only tried the wrong tones? They say theres a shade of red for every woman, maybe try going to brown thomas and getting the girls there to help you find one? I did that before and got a fab chanel one (the only thing I've ever bought in there :p) and I was amazed at all the subtle differences in the shades. You're lucky having full lips (*jealous*)

Ill have to give that a go. I always just go for Rimmel or 17, something cheap and cheerful

Ill have to give that a go. I always just go for Rimmel or 17, something cheap and cheerful

Oh I'd say for red it's worth spending the money just to make sure it stays on your lips and doesn't end up on your teeth! I bouight mine about 4 years and have loads left cos you wouldnt wear it as often as other colours usually.

I dont wear lipstick much at all, but for going out i like to have a different look! Looks like im going lipstick hunting this week!

I dont wear lipstick much at all, but for going out i like to have a different look! Looks like im going lipstick hunting this week!

Cool have fun! Be sure and report back!

Can anyone help me out with this makeup....

2ewjt4j.jpg

I love the smokey eyes thing (although I prefer more pink than peachy lips and cheeks) what would people reccomend make up wise to do this? Someone mentioned and eyeshadow primer or something before I think? I find eyeshadow ends up under my eyes within hours of putting it on making me look tired! Are there certain brands that don't do this? I'd need new eye liner, mascarra (sounds like dior is the best so might get that),s hadow and brow pencil at least I'd imagine? I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of extra cash if the stuff was gonna stay put for the day and not make me look like a smack head like it usually does!

Advertisement