Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large text tattoo on chest, advice needed!!

• 11-05-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Howdy folks,

I’m looking to get a large text tattoo on my chest. It is my first tattoo so some advice would be much appreciated (Don’t worry, I’ve mulled over this decision for a long time so it’s not an impulsive one!). It will be a simply text tattoo in gothic print. I have no idea where to go so this is where I need help from you guys. As it is text, I’m presuming it should be pretty straight forward for all tattoo artists. Fair assumption? Can you guys suggest the tattoo parlour which does best text tattoos? I just want real clean lines in the text.
    It will just be black ink too, no colour.

Finally, will be large print across my chest (it will kind of hang like a banner from shoulder to shoulder), will that make after care more difficult? I really don’t want it to smudge! For example, I’m always tossing and turning in my sleep, is there a danger it will smudge then?

Oh and I know it is difficult for you guys to estimate price, but should 500 do the job? It won’t be a particular difficult tattoo as they go I reckon...

Thanks for any advice given, it is really appreciated!

Peace,

WoL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey, I have a similar enough tattoo to one you are describing, I hvae roman numerals from shoulder to shoulder crossing my chest.

Have a look at the portfolios at the top of this section and see if there is an artist who you think suits the style. For mine I went to Rob in Colourworks who spent a good bit of time making sure tattoo was centered, can be hard on the chest to apply a stencil as if you move stencil can go on crooked or off centre. Am really pleased with the result and would recommend Darren or Rob from colourworks to anyone.

As for price it will depend on studio so best thing is to go in and ask them, although for 500 you would be lookin at approx. 5 hours which shud well cover it. (think mine took bout 2 and half hours).

Can say though that although it wasn't that sore to get done compared to other places it did bruise a lot and could be a pain with after care as t shirts and tops tend to rest on the area tattooed. Jus have to make sure to keep bepanthen on it and it doesnt dry out.

Hope something from that will be off use to you! Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 WoL

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a similar enough tattoo to one you are describing, I hvae roman numerals from shoulder to shoulder crossing my chest.

Have a look at the portfolios at the top of this section and see if there is an artist who you think suits the style. For mine I went to Rob in Colourworks who spent a good bit of time making sure tattoo was centered, can be hard on the chest to apply a stencil as if you move stencil can go on crooked or off centre. Am really pleased with the result and would recommend Darren or Rob from colourworks to anyone.

As for price it will depend on studio so best thing is to go in and ask them, although for 500 you would be lookin at approx. 5 hours which shud well cover it. (think mine took bout 2 and half hours).

Can say though that although it wasn't that sore to get done compared to other places it did bruise a lot and could be a pain with after care as t shirts and tops tend to rest on the area tattooed. Jus have to make sure to keep bepanthen on it and it doesnt dry out.

Hope something from that will be off use to you! Let us know how you get on!

Thanks man, I really appreciate the reply. It sounds like I am getting something relatively done here. I'm not too worried about the pain, I know it will be worth it. Jus more concerned about looking after it properly after I get it done.

Two more quick questions: Did you get your numerals put straight across your chest or was there a dip in the print? Also, I'm presuming I have to get my chest shaved. I'm not too hairy but will that happen in the shop or do I have to show up clucked, plucked and ready to go?

Thanks again man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 WoL

Just checked their work. I really liked Rob's text work... He seems to do a fair bit more compared to other artists. Ill probably be going in this week to organize a consultation.

Ps I think I saw your tattoo, pretty solid man, impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

If your very hairy id say trim it before you go in as the will jus shave you using a disposable bic razor. Will also save some time if you are hairy to have it pre trimmed!

As for after care just make sure to keep bepanthen on it and keep it clean. Also try avoid rubing it off anything, like shoulder straps on a bag, while it's healing.

Best of luck in colourworks during the week, def one of the friendliest tattoo studio's around from my experience!

Advertisement