Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Source backup product with bare metal restore

• 12-05-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

*snip*
    Probably wrong forum to ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dd
    dd_rescue
    partimage
    clonezilla

there are loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dd
    dd_rescue
    partimage
    clonezilla

there are loads

They don't allow full and incremental backup. Cloning a drive is useless if I can get it back to how it was "last night". Clone a month ago, then backup data is no good if I want to restore last nights registry or AD etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

It's the "bare metal" aspect that makes me hesitate. The best known backup tools for Linux are probably Bacula & Amanda. I am hearing good things about "Back in Time" which seems to be inspired by apple's Time Machine. But I don't think any of these are intended for "bare metal" restores.

Perhaps you might consider ZFS that can take partition snapshots? Saw a demo of it once that was very impressive.

Agreed. Amanda seems to be the closest to bare metal that I can get. Excepting that in a restore, I need to install windows first. Still, save me a lot of time in that I don't have to configure applications, users, PDC, AD etc.

I think I found a winner. Will have to purchase the live agents though.

Will use BackupPC for desktops. Don't need bare metal for them. Not important enough :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bare metal to me is when you can't be sure of repairing it so you restore the most recent full backup and you know you can't sort out the problem in a resonable timeframe then the relevant differentials. I'm not that big a fan of incrementals as everything has to go right.

a good test for bare metal is when migrating to another machine, kinda like a burn in test before you let it run live.

restoring last night's registry is not a bare metal restore ;)
    Boot up with a linux live CD and just copy the reg files from system volume etc. Most of the time you are waiting for the server to do two POST's

Can't remember if it's quicker to do a windows and backup exec install and then to tape or to try the backupexc by itself , main difference IIRC was the full install got better drivers depending on the devices and if you had a lot of data then best to do the manual method to restore the important stuff first rather than have the box offline for ages.

if using windows and you have more than one Drive (not partition) , have you considered ASR for the system drive on the basis that it's easy to do and it might just come in handy some day

is ZFS for linux production stable yet ?

Backuppc is good alright

• Advertisement

Bare metal to me is when you can't be sure of repairing it so you restore the most recent full backup and you know you can't sort out the problem in a resonable timeframe then the relevant differentials. I'm not that big a fan of incrementals as everything has to go right.
    To me, Bare Metal Restore is when I can do a restore without installing the OS first, getting me back up and online in minutes to an hour or two, rather than hours or days. I don't want to have to re-configure each server and install all of it's applications and services again.
    a good test for bare metal is when migrating to another machine, kinda like a burn in test before you let it run live.
    Totally agree. Every backup solution should be tested in restoring before being put live.

I'll look into ASR. Might be interesting as a base line.
    Yes, pretty much finalised BackupPC as the desktop backup solution.

Advertisement