Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fix the roads you ****ing arseholes

• 12-05-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

Had a lucky one today, was cruising along through an estate at about 5mph and i looked ahead up the road and before i know it i head a loud bang and my engine stalling, me being thrown forward a few inches(off the seat anyway) look down and my front wheel is stuck in a MASSIVE pothole, got my feet down fast and grabbed the handle bars just as the whole bike was about to make itself horizontal.

in short FIX THE ROADS YOU ****ING ARSEBANDITS WHAT DO I PAY MY TAX FOR!

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

plus one boy weeder,,if the roads dont get any better we will be all riding mx,s or the horse and the sulkie lol as thats all the roads are fit 4 lately,,76 euro road tax to pay for two broken wheels and suspension every year ,,its amazing that anyone pays it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Road tax is only the cherry on the cake when it comes to motoring.

For the huge variety of motoring taxation we are bludgened with in this country, the roads should be roofed and carpeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cantdecide wrote: »
    Road tax is only the cherry on the cake when it comes to motoring.

For the huge variety of motoring taxation we are bludgened with in this country, the roads should be roofed and carpeted.

Its not a road tax, its a tax. And they are not forms of motoring taxation for spending on things motoring related, they are forms of tax on motoring. Its goes to the big piss up in the sky and how much of it gets appropriated to actually fixing roads is anyone's guess.

Its not that surprising really. When I worked in construction we had to dig up a sewage pipe because it wasn't in the right place. There were five of us, one digger and 700 yards of road to rip up and then put back together. At the end there was 30 yards of public road which had to be done by the council(road was empty, but handed over). At our expense I might add. Ten of them would turn up most days. With two diggers. When we finished the section that was a good 20 times their bit, with half the men and equipment, I remember looking over and seeing the lads sitting in the two crew cab trucks. There was a light drizzle of rain. They had nearly gotten to the pipe though, god love em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

One location, Summerhill, Meath, driving through there towards trim today, my god, i've never seen anything so retarded in my life, the shores for sewage or electrics were raised above the road surface like speed bumps. the complete opposite of pot holes. If it was dark and you were doing any kind of speed hitting those yokes, bad things might happen :( i hit one at 50kph, heard a big yelp from the girlfriend behind. (all was in order so i carried on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Xios wrote: »
    One location, Summerhill, Meath, driving through there towards trim today, my god, i've never seen anything so retarded in my life, the shores for sewage or electrics were raised above the road surface like speed bumps. the complete opposite of pot holes. If it was dark and you were doing any kind of speed hitting those yokes, bad things might happen :( i hit one at 50kph, heard a big yelp from the girlfriend behind. (all was in order so i carried on)

They must have run out of motor tax money before they put on the top layer of tarmac. Ah well. :rolleyes:

You should see around near me, they resurfaced the whole lot of a development and then put down that high grip stuff at the junctions and on the bus stops. Only they did such a **** job the grit came away instantly and the surface at junctions is now low grip with cars spinning their wheels when the lights go green. and the grit now lying all over the shop(junction). Well done there lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Went for a spin earlier using the backroads in the Phoenix park and it was like a game of dodge the fcukin hole! apart from Chesterfield avenue (which has a few) the park is a ****ing death trap for bikes - beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

The answer to this might sound obvious to some of you but...

I live in Dublin and was just wondering how safe it is to ride over those square manhole covers (in wet weather) that seem to follow every second f**king turn. I could swear I felt the arse of my bike slide slightly a few times when I went over some of them - even at only about 15-20km/h on the turn. Are these safe to drive over or is it best to give them a (not too) wide berth? Has anyone skidded on one of these - particularly their back wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

EGOSHEA wrote: »

I live in Dublin and was just wondering how safe it is to ride over those square manhole covers (in wet weather) that seem to follow every second f**king turn. I could swear I felt the arse of my bike slide slightly a few times when I went over some of them - even at only about 15-20km/h on the turn. Are these safe to drive over or is it best to give them a (not too) wide berth? Has anyone skidded on one of these - particularly their back wheel?

I say when it rains, avoid them like the plague, same goes for luas tracks and any smooth metal surface, either hit them dead on or things may arse-ways for you. It's also part of the driving test i believe, you're meant to avoid them even in the dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you have any old paint lying about at home pour it into the hole to warn others, also write on the side of it, "Fix this fuc*kers" with an arrow pointing to it and post picts of it on the internet. :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

EGOSHEA wrote: »

Yeah, avoid them. Grand to drive straight over them, but avoid going over the ones on a bend that have become smooth. Never came off on one, but remember giving some throttle on one and the back wheel spun really easily.
    The worse thing on the roads is those metal plates they use to temporary cover road works. When it's raining they're lethal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement