Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentinas Squad (may contain craziness)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

eagle eye wrote: »
    Coloccini had a very good season in the Championship but it is the Championship and not the Premier League. Demichelis is a class act.

Demichelis was awful against United. The RTE panel berated his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

One game :D

And Demichelis was said to be distraught over the comments made by guys like Eamon Dunphy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

TonyD79 wrote: »

He's actually very good most of the time.

Maradona is mad, we've all known it for ages. It's just a shock to see that he'd leave out so many outrageously good players for a World Cup. I can only think forward to who he's going to leave out of the final squad. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Two Newcastle players! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Frisbee wrote: »
    No Cambiasso is mad.

Would have liked to see D. Milito and Perotti get a spot too. It's a shame Riquelme won't get called up, I'd definitely have him in ahead of Veron.

D. Milito did get a spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Two Newcastle players! :eek:

To be fair they both had a really good season. There's other players outside of the top divisions in Europe you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Veron? Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Johner wrote: »
    Veron? Lol.

playing great stuff in Argentina and still does a great job for Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

D. Milito did get a spot.

Freudian slip

I meant Gabriel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you're trying to justify that comment, but sourcing that lot...well...good luck to ya.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Headshot wrote: »
    playing great stuff in Argentina and still does a great job for Argentina

I'd doubt he'd do a better job than Cambiasso, who is probably up there with the best midfielders in the world.

Johner wrote: »
    I'd doubt he'd do a better job than Cambiasso, who is probably up there with the best midfielders in the world.

they are 2 different types of CM, cambiasso would the one to brake up play where as veron is the creator in the team.

he's basically taking over Riquelme mantel as the architect of the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wonder who of Tevez, Higuain and Aguero will be on the bench for the majority of games, my bet would be Tevez (I'm sure he'll love being the impact player :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Liam O wrote: »
    Wonder who of Tevez, Higuain and Aguero will be on the bench for the majority of games, my bet would be Tevez (I'm sure he'll love being the impact player :rolleyes: )

Both Tevez and Aguero are likely to be on the bench I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

gustavo wrote: »

Yep, Di Maria, Higuain and Messi to start I reckon. Should be lethal if they click and are given good supply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No estie? :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    No estie? :(:(:(

Not wanted anywhere it seems :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's never played under Maradona.

frightening really.

Are you sure about that? Maradona took over at the end of the 2008. Here is Cambiaso's game log:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/international?id=19084&league=fifa.world&cc=5739

The first bit is representative of one match. The second is representative of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Are you sure about that? Maradona took over at the end of the 2008. Here is Cambiaso's game log:

fair play, i assume that's correct.

my sources were Wiki and an article i posted up earlier in the thread of Maradona telling the world he's 'not to his taste'.

it's still scandalous that he's not in the starting XI, nevermind not being in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/international?id=19084&league=fifa.world&cc=5739

Cambiasso's last competitive game was against Paraguay when Basile was in charge in September 2008. Maradona's first game in charge was about two months later against Scotland in November 2008, so he never got a chance under Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Two Newcastle players in the Argentina world cup squad is laughable! They may have had good seasons but they were playing in the Championship FFS.

can't see Aguero on the bench tbh, what with the current status of his private life ;)

Liam O wrote: »
    can't see Aguero on the bench tbh, what with the current status of his private life ;)
    He was on the bench during the qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maxis plan seems to have panned out then. Is this the final maximum squad or can new names come in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kirnsy wrote: »
    And what about France player of the year Lisandro and Lucho Gonzalez??

Oh and Mauro Zarate of Lazio. Jesus what a squad they could have had!!

Edit : spent 15 mins trying to pick an Argentinian line up there and couldn't. Their forwards are the strongest in the world. Might as well pick names out of a hat.
    I'd take Lucho, he's been huge for Marseille this season.

Could take or leave Lisandro, although I'd probably leave him based on current form.

Zarate simply isn't good enough.

mike65 wrote: »
    Maxis plan seems to have panned out then. Is this the final maximum squad or can new names come in?

As far as I know its an official final squad of 30 that has to be trimmed down. They can't add anyone to the final 23 that will be named later.

As far as I know its an official final squad of 30 that has to be trimmed down. They can't add anyone to the final 23 that will be named later.

if someone in the 23 gets injured they can take replacements can't they? Always thought that was the case but I'm probably wrong...

I'd take Lucho, he's been huge for Marseille this season.

Could take or leave Lisandro, although I'd probably leave him based on current form.

Zarate simply isn't good enough.

Lisandros had a great season. I'd have him any day of the week instead of Martin "miss 3 penos in 1 game" Palermo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

shano_88 wrote: »
    Two Newcastle players in the Argentina world cup squad is laughable! They may have had good seasons but they were playing in the Championship FFS.

Something tells me Maradona is playing them in his team because they have played well under him rather than any concerns about whatever club in England they play for

• Advertisement

Something tells me Maradona is playing them in his team because they have played well under him rather than any concerns about whatever club in England they play for

I'd agree with that. I'd say they back Maradona to the hilt. In fairness, even before Colocinni went to Newcastle he was an animal player with Depor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Colo and Gutiérrez have both had excellent seasons, am sure they will do well at the World Cup and surprise a few here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

shano_88 wrote: »

Gerrard got into England's squad and he had a sh*t season. :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think it would be very fair for a manager to exclude a player who has always performed well for the national team just because his side got relegated. Italy continued to pick Juventus players when they were knocking about in Serie B and nobody found that strange AFAIR.

Still, there's no excuse for bringing Martin Palermo! Disappointed Lucho didn't make the squad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

One thing people forget is who is Argentina's ass man (basically) its Carlos Bilardo, he is tha manager from 86 and is held in high regard. If he can influence Maradona he cna bring Argentina on to a whole new level.

Still, there's no excuse for bringing Martin Palermo! Disappointed Lucho didn't make the squad either.

Well in fairness, Palermo has scored 5 in 6 for Argentina (qualifiers and friendlies) since his return to the squad.

He also scored the goal that effectively saved Argentina from a playoff, and Maradona is now referring to him as "Saint Palermo" so he's clearly Maradona's pet at this stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well in fairness, Palermo has scored 5 in 6 for Argentina (qualifiers and friendlies) since his return to the squad.

I know, in all seriousness most of the players in the squad have played themselves right into contention and the sheer number of talented Argentinians available means whoever was left out would be met with disbelief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Never thought I would say this but , the only reason ARGENTINA will not win the World Cup is Maradona.

peabutler wrote: »
    One thing people forget is who is Argentina's ass man (basically) its Carlos Bilardo, he is tha manager from 86 and is held in high regard. If he can influence Maradona he cna bring Argentina on to a whole new level.

Wasn't he appointed by the FA against Maradona's wishes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Leaving out Zanetti and Cambiasso is a crime against football, you simply don't get players more reliable or consistent than those two. I hope Maradona has a master plan and that we'll see Argentina playing the football we know they are capable of. But sadly that does not look likely.

Leaving out Zanetti and Cambiasso is a crime against football, you simply don't get players more reliable or consistent than those two. I hope Maradona has a master plan and that we'll see Argentina playing the football we know they are capable of. But sadly that does not look likely.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

one can dream :o

one can dream :o

im with ya mate, love them to win but Maradona has and will **** them up

such a pity too

Cambiasso's last competitive game was against Paraguay when Basile was in charge in September 2008. Maradona's first game in charge was about two months later against Scotland in November 2008, so he never got a chance under Maradona.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    fair play, i assume that's correct.

my sources were Wiki and an article i posted up earlier in the thread of Maradona telling the world he's 'not to his taste'.

it's still scandalous that he's not in the starting XI, nevermind not being in the squad.

Something strange going on with that site, it replicating 2008's fixtures onto 2009 for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/05/brazil_squad.html

Good little read about the Brazil/Argentinian omissions.

Quote of the century from Diego:
    Argentina fancy their chances of taking the world by storm this summer due to Lionel Messi's brilliance and Maradona wants to give the talent a free role in South Africa.

"I don't want him stationed on the (right touch) line...All the balls have to pass through him," Maradona told Fox Sports.

"I'm going to defend with four centre-backs
    , but I'm also going to have full-backs available in case we need to improve coming out of defence."

:eek:

I actually can't wait to watch them this Summer, but for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he says they are going to play 4 centre backs...

well done maradonna, sabotage what could be a great argentinas chances before you go. if they make it beyond the 2nd round ill be shocked and they only way the will do that is Messi carrying them. aguero - over rated in my book. forlan is the real deal at athletico (i am aware that forlan is uruguain for those of you who are dribbling on their keyboard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

4 centre backs? :D The man's like a football version of Zapp Brannigan from Futurama.

4 centre backs? :D The man's like a football version of Zapp Brannigan from Futurama.

"Carlos , I have mated it with a woman. Inform the players".

Otamendi and Heinze will be the full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Burdisso has and will be playing as a full back and probably Demechelis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement