Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentinas Squad (may contain craziness)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Most Futurama refrences in a soccer thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

No one from this 30 has to be picked as part of the WC 23 he can pick a completely different 23 if he wants its just no managers ever does that as it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Soby wrote: »
    No one from this 30 has to be picked as part of the WC 23 he can pick a completely different 23 if he wants its just no managers ever does that as it makes no sense.
    So you are saying that Maradona is like all other managers then?:pac:

[ ] It makes no sense so Maradona wouldn't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wrote about some of the suprising omissions if anybody's interested

http://www.joe.ie/001604/1/1/story/world-cup-selection-shockers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anybody else think Diego was pulling back on the boots when they read the thread title? :)

Just chatting with a couple of mates and we decided to do our Argentinian team including those that were left at home. Might be a little bias against Mascherano who I picked but was voted out.

Romero
    Burdisso
    Samuel
    Otamendi
    Zanetti
    Cambiasso
    Riquelme
    Tevez
    Messi
    Higuan
    Di Maria

Subs: Andujar, Demichelles, Heinze, Mascherano, Veron, Aguero, Millito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Here's the complete and official list of all 32 participants' provisional squads:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/20/86/87/Provisional1305.pdf

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just chatting with a couple of mates and we decided to do our Argentinian team including those that were left at home. Might be a little bias against Mascherano who I picked but was voted out.

Romero
    Burdisso
    Samuel
    Otamendi
    Zanetti
    Cambiasso
    Riquelme
    Tevez
    Messi
    Higuan
    Di Maria

Subs: Andujar, Demichelles, Heinze, Mascherano, Veron, Aguero, Millito.

That team would get harassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What? No Insua? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Decent article explaining Maradona's logic a a bit.

There does seem to be some logic behind his overall plan but I don't really agree with it.
    Hidden method in Maradona's madness

Argentina’s coach has used 107 players in 18 months, has done away with full-backs, and has a 36-year-old up front. But the real surprise about his plan? It might just work.

By Neil Clack in Buenos Aires Saturday, 15 May 2010

If two Englishmen were playing for the clear favourites in a Champions League final they might reasonably expect to be included in the nation's World Cup squad. Not so for Argentina.

But then conventions rarely bother coach Diego Maradona. Still, this week's omission of Internazionale's Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso from Maradona's 30-man provisional party has raised eyebrows throughout the football world. As has Maradona's announcement that he won't be playing full-backs in his World Cup XI. Madness? That's certainly what it looks like to the Argentine public. And it's something they've become accustomed to.

Maradona has selected a staggering 107 players in the 18 months he has been in charge. He has been suspended by Fifa for an obscenity-laden tirade against the media. He has fallen out with Juan Roman Riquelme, who he at first pledged to build his team around. As well as Zanetti, Inter's captain and Argentina's record caps holder, and Cambiasso, he also left out Barcelona's Gabriel Milito and Real Madrid's Fernando Gago, selecting instead several domestic-based players. What he has not done is find a playing shape and philosophy which brings the best from Lionel Messi. Certainly bookmakers in Europe do not fancy Argentina as candidates for the World Cup, offering odds of around 10-1, well behind the likes of Brazil and Spain, and even England, no doubt reflecting the commonly held belief that Argentina have a nutter at the helm making random decisions.

However, scratch beneath the surface, and a different picture of Maradona's reign as manager and Argentina's prospects for the World Cup might emerge. The truth is Maradona inherited a poor team that were making atrocious errors at the back, and already struggling at the halfway stage of the qualifying campaign.

The disastrous 6-1 defeat in the high altitude of Bolivia was one of Maradona's first games in charge. "Every goal was like a knife through my heart", he said, but it can be seen as a one-off due to the extreme conditions. That's not to absolve Maradona of the blame entirely, but the signs are that he has learnt from that bitter experience, placing greater emphasis on defence since. Too much for some, but the strategy of playing "four centre-backs" (Maradona's words) is not quite what his critics claim. Gabriel Heinze may have started his career as a central defender in Argentina, but followers of European club football will know that Sir Alex Ferguson successfully converted him into a left-back at Manchester United.

Maradona went to great lengths this week to explain how the 'four centre-back formation" works. He did not want Heinze and Nicolas Otamendi, the classy Velez Sarsfield central defender who will play right-back in South Africa, pushing forward and delivering crosses, "That's the role of wingers, Jonas Gutierrez and [Angel] Di Maria," he said, But with Javier Mascherano playing just in front of the four "markers", Argentina will not be an easy team to penetrate.

And it is a case of lies, damned lies and statisitcs, regarding the 100-plus number of players Maradona has used. The reason for this high figure is that the Argentina Football Association (AFA) arranged a series of B-type internationals against second- and third-rate opponents such as Haiti, Jamaica, and Ghana reserves, on non-Fifa calender dates, when all the European-based players, and even Argentina-based players whose teams were playing in Copa de Libertadores, were unavailable. In the actual qualifiers, the matches that count, Maradona used no more players than most other international managers.

Following a three-month ban for his profane outburst at journalists after Argentina had just clinched World Cup qualification last November, Maradona fielded the same formation and tactics against Germany that he had successfully employed against Uruguay in the last qualification match. As in Uruguay, Argentina left Germany with another impressive 1-0 victory. At long last, Maradona's team appeared to be coming together. He has settled for a counter-attacking 4-4-2 system, almost British in its style, with two pacy wingers, Newcastle's Gutierrez and Di Maria patrolling the length of the flanks, tracking back and defending.

Crucially, the Argentina squad do not have any injury issues, and the six strikers that Maradona will take to the World Cup are all bang on form – Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Diego Milito, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero, and even 36-year-old Martin Palermo, who recently broke the all-time top scorer's record at his club, Boca Juniors.

Unlike many international managers this week, Maradona went out of his way to explain his ideas and the reasons for his selections. Quite simply, Zanetti and Cambiasso do not fit into the 4-4-2 system and style of football he wishes to play, and as they will not feature in the final 23, then it was pointless including them in the 30 and raising false hopes. He added that his team "will never play in the way Mourinho's Inter played against Barcelona".

Maradona claims to already know his first-choice team for the finals, the one that started against Uruguay and Germany. Juan Sebastian Veron is a key player for the coach, "my representative on the pitch and the director of the play".

But it is Messi that Maradona has built his team around. He has spent time in Barcelona, holding long talks, not only with the player but also with his parents, as well as seeking advice from Barcelona coach, Pep Guardiola, on how to get the best out of the shy prodigy. "I want him playing all over the pitch because he has that tendency to play freely, to be the free man," Maradona said this week. Comparisons to the 1986 team – in which manager Carlos Bilardo (currently Argentina's general manager and an adviser to Maradona) built a squad that combined a "supertalent" (Maradona) with a functional, organised team, based around him – have been made.

Expect the Maradona madness to continue in South Africa, and expect to hear some colourful comments as he attempts to become only the third man in history, after Franz Beckanbauer and Mario Zagallo, to win the World Cup as both player and manager.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/hidden-method-in-maradonas-madness-1973800.html

• Advertisement

Just one thing I have to say is that Martin Palermo is a god in Argentina and is known as a great leader. He will be a huge addition to the squad, I don't think he should start games but just having him there will lift the rest of the players. He is well up to it for a short period but he cannot go for anything close to 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

His 23 man squad.

Argentina squad
    Goalkeepers: Romero (AZ Alkmaar), Andujar (Catania), Pozo (Colon)
    Defenders: Otamendi (Velez), Heinze (Marseille), Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Samuel (Inter), Garcè (Colon), Burdisso (Roma), Rodriguez (Estudiantes)
    Midfielders: Veron (Estudiantes), Mascherano (Liverpool), J Gutierrez (Newcastle), Di Maria (Benfica), Maxi Rodriguez (Liverpool), Pastore (Palermo), Bolatti (Fiorentina)
    Forwards: Messi (Barcelona), Higuain (Real Madrid), Tevez (Manchester City), Milito (Inter), Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Palermo (Boca Juniors)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man they have some unreal attack force, just a pity about the rest of the team and the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Will it be

Romero
    Otamendi---Demichelis--Samuel----Heinze
    Jonas----Mascherano---Veron----Di Maria
    Messi

Higuain

Apart from upfront, the only substitutes I have even heard of are Burdisso and Maxi

Will it be

Romero
    Otamendi---Demichelis--Samuel----Heinze
    Jonas----Mascherano---Veron----Di Maria
    Messi

Higuain

Apart from upfront, the only substitutes I have even heard of are Burdisso and Maxi
    never heard of Palermo ?

he's a little ****e but scored the winner to beat Peru

Hope they win it.

Maradonna's press confernces are gonna be magic !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good article. i for one wasn't aware that the figure used when talking about the amount of players he's called up is actually bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

They look a bit screwed CM wise. Bolatti looks to be the only viable replacement for Veron / Mascherano if either get injured.

Would've taken instead Lucho Gonazalez and Cambiasso for Maxi and Palermo, and then it'd be a bit more balanced between midfield and upfront.

Headshot wrote: »
    never heard of Palermo ?

he's a little ****e but scored the winner to beat Peru

He's definately not little anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Headshot wrote: »
    never heard of Palermo ?

let him take the penos :D

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_6164988,00.html
    Argentina coach Diego Maradona insulted a cameraman after accidentally running over his leg ahead of naming his final World Cup squad.

The journalist was hit by Maradona's car as he drove his Mini into the Argentine Football Association (AFA) training complex in Buenos Aires on Wednesday.

The 1986 World Cup winner then shouted abuse at the cameraman for getting in the way of his car.

"What an a**hole you are," Maradona shouted from the car after braking, "How can you put your foot under the wheel, man?"

Paramedics attended to the cameraman who was taken away for further treatment.

Media at the gates of the conference were seeking comments from the Argentina boss on his selection of players in the 23-man line-up for the World Cup in South Africa this summer, which he handed to the AFA.
    Apology

Maradona has since issued an apology to the victim, saying he gave a statement to the local prosecutor.

"I was driving down the street," he said. "I'm sorry it happened. I gave a statement to the prosecutor and I hope everything comes out OK."

Argentina will take on Nigeria, South Korea and Greece in Group A of the tournament.

nutter

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was the guy on the footpath (would not surprise me) or wombling about on the road like an idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Was the guy on the footpath (would not surprise me) or wombling about on the road like an idiot?

Pretty much. He dramatically jumped to the ground whilst getting in the way of the car. Maradona was shouting at him why are you getting in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Maradona is an absolute legend, pity he may cost Argentina the WC this year but he won them a WC single-handedly so maybe it balances itself out. He will be slated by everyone during this WC for his tactics which will make him even crazier than normal but it is going to be great entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

After Milito's performance yesterday he will have to feature strongly in the team. They have one of the best groups of players in the tournament, but the manager...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Does anyone know what Argentinians think of Maradona as a manager?
    Do they see the madness or do they have faith in their god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

transylman wrote: »
    After Milito's performance yesterday he will have to feature strongly in the team. They have one of the best groups of players in the tournament, but the manager...

He would replace Tevez if he did, cos Messi is unstoppable and Higuain got 29 goals last season including 19 goals in 15 games at one stage. Sergio Aguero is top class as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

JPA wrote: »

They have loads of faith in him. A friend of mine was living in Argentina for a while and he said that Maradona can do no wrong, he's adored by everyone. He got talking to some Argentinian one night about Messi and said that he could be better than Diego if he stays off the drink and drugs and that and the Argentinian started looking at my friend like he had two heads, starts saying ' oh Maradona never did drugs, none of that is true. Maradona has never done anything wrong in his life.':confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Their forward players are absurdly strong. If you put all the great strikers Ireland have ever produced together, it still wouldn't compare to what Argentina have got right now.

You could say the same about Spain, England, France and Holland. Outside Robbie Keane, I can't think of anyone being prolific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You could say the same about Spain, England, France and Holland. Outside Robbie Keane, I can't think of anyone being prolific.

Niall Quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Argentina struggled to qualify for the World cup , I still dont know why South America gets so many places compared to Europe. Also a physical Brazil side has comfortably beaten them last few games with no impact from Messi.
    A big problem is if Veron and Mascherano get injured their natural alternatives/replacements- Riquelme and Cambiasso have been left at home.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Argentina struggled to qualify for the World cup , I still dont know why South America gets so many places compared to Europe. Also a physical Brazil side has comfortably beaten them last few games with no impact from Messi.

South America get 4 or 5 places, Europe gets 13.

Warper wrote: »
    Maradona is an absolute legend, pity he may cost Argentina the WC this year but he won them a WC single-handedly so maybe it balances itself out. He will be slated by everyone during this WC for his tactics which will make him even crazier than normal but it is going to be great entertainment.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

They have loads of faith in him. A friend of mine was living in Argentina for a while and he said that Maradona can do no wrong, he's adored by everyone. He got talking to some Argentinian one night about Messi and said that he could be better than Diego if he stays off the drink and drugs and that and the Argentinian started looking at my friend like he had two heads, starts saying ' oh Maradona never did drugs, none of that is true. Maradona has never done anything wrong in his life.':confused:

Seems like a cult of personality going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

South America get 4 or 5 places, Europe gets 13.

Yes but thats nearly 50 % of teams qualifying from South America. Argentina also lost 6 out of 18 qualifying games. All I meant was if they were in Europe I dont think they would have qualified going by their form under Maradona.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Yes but thats nearly 50 % of teams qualifying from South America. Argentina also lost 6 out of 18 qualifying games. All I meant was if they were in Europe I dont think they would have qualified going by their form under Maradona.

If they were a European team they would have been seeded and played 1 or 2 good teams in their group compared to playing every team in South America. I think they would have qualified much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

A large section of the Boca faithful have turned on him and consider him a traitor for his treatment of Riquelme, so he's not beyond criticism in Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I regularly watch the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, the Argentine Primera Division, Brazilian Leagues, Mexican Leagues, MLS, the A-League, Champion's League, Europa League, Copa Libertadores, ACF Champion's League and the CONCACAF Champion's League. I don't follow Dutch, German, Belgian or French Leagues, watch very little Portugese although I'd watch games between the top sides.

A lot of players that come to Europe from Argentina look better in Europe than they did in Argentina, some don't of course but usually thats more often because they are at a very big club or they are homesick.

Its very similar to Serie A in that a lot of teams are defene first teams. I personally reckon though that if there was a real world club competition that River Plate, Independiente and Estudiantes would go very deep on the tournament and of course Argentinos Juniors who have been brilliant this year.

Oh my god! You must just watch football all day every day if you regularly watch all those leagues!!! :eek:

Anyway, I reckon Argentina could surprise everybody on here and really excel at this world cup. Wouldnt be surorised if they went on and won it actualy, despite diego of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I can see Diego being good in a tournament simply by force of character, he could really be a good motivator for the squad. He knows what it takes to win too.

'Alright Leo, get out there and use your hand. It worked for me, it worked for Henry. Do you want to be one of the all time greats or not kid?'

Can't see Argentina getting beyond the Quarters at best, mainly due to the imbalance in the squad as mentioned before with the CMs and the FBs. There's a serious lack of backup for the Veron and Mascherano pairing plus Maradona plays 4 CBs in defence, so there's no natural fullback talent to help in stretching the opposition defence when chasing a goal.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Two Newcastle players in the Argentina world cup squad is laughable! They may have had good seasons but they were playing in the Championship FFS.

Ok. When juventus were relegated a couple of seasons back werent their players still called up for international duty for their respective teams? No big difference here if these players stayed for loyalty reasons tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maxi scores twice then injured, anyone see the knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

mormank wrote: »
    Ok. When juventus were relegated a couple of seasons back werent their players still called up for international duty for their respective teams? No big difference here if these players stayed for loyalty reasons tbh.

Yeah but Juventus were relegated as still a good/great team, just due to the Calciopoli scandal. Newcastle were relegated because they weren't good enough. The Juve players were obviously still great players who played in lower divisions because their team was still amazing, they weren't relegated on ability. The Newcastle lads are still there because they are Championship players on a team that was not good enough for the PL, wherease Juve were good enough for Serie A. So there is a big difference.

Yeah but Juventus were relegated as still a good/great team, just due to the Calciopoli scandal. Newcastle were relegated because they weren't good enough. The Juve players were obviously still great players who played in lower divisions because their team was still amazing, they weren't relegated on ability. The Newcastle lads are still there because they are Championship players on a team that was not good enough for the PL, wherease Juve were good enough for Serie A. So there is a big difference.

But they've just been promoted, so by definition they are good enough for the PL again.

Was Europsort correct in listing Di Maria as left-back last night?

Di Maria played left-back in a 4-4-2. Gutiérrez was playing supposed to be playing RB but was taking up other positions on a few occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

So Maradona's been taking the piss with his 'no full backs' statement ("I'll put wingers there instead").

I'd kind of love it if it just all worked out for them.

Maradona is sporting an awesome beard:

diego-maradona_1643672c.jpg

Maradona is sporting an awesome beard:

diego-maradona_1643672c.jpg

He mods AH and manages Argentina. Respect!

• Advertisement

I just watched the Argentina and Canada highlights and it looks like Maradona will be great craic at the world cup so I'm happy to have him as argie manager now..

Advertisement