Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift for photo enthusiast - not hardware

• 12-05-2010 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,
    it my Father's birthday (75yo) this month & he's a real photography enthusiast of over 50 years, he has lots of gear antique & modern, developers & all tht jazz. I'd like to get him a photography related gift for about E50, I was thinking about a ticket for an exhibition or entry to a competition, something other than hardware, all ideas are appreciated.

THANKS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If u have a car take him somewhere Thsts good for photo taking for d day to take pictures.
    Print some if his pics and ask local cafe to display them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Offer to make a book of his best work ? Send it off to Blurb etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Get him to take a self portrait and get it blown up for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Thanks Lads, some quality suggestions there, I like the one about having a book made of his best work, I would have difficulty accessing it though.

Blurb??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Gonzales wrote: »
    Thanks Lads, some quality suggestions there, I like the one about having a book made of his best work, I would have difficulty accessing it though.

Blurb??

Why not get him a voucher for a photobook and then work with him to select the work to be included, he might like the idea of spending time with you looking at his work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

dave66 wrote: »
    Why not get him a voucher for a photobook and then work with him to select the work to be included, he might like the idea of spending time with you looking at his work.

I think that's an excellent idea, I would like to get that myself! Can't think of anything myself for your dad, was scratching my brain during work over it but to no avail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You can get for example coffee travel mugs in shape of Canon "L" lenses. Only few quid, but really funny to see ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

ThOnda wrote: »
    You can get for example coffee travel mugs in shape of Canon "L" lenses. Only few quid, but really funny to see ;)

yeah - a friend ordered these for me as a "thank you" pressie for helping her out .... still waiting for it to arrive !!! (she says she ordered it 2weeks ago)

fingers crossed it will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Photography related books - the serious ones will eat up all of that budget.

Try the "gallery of photography" (temple bar) for an excellent selection. Try ascertain what he likes in his photography - does he like a particular photographer, a photo agency, a particular subject (war, presidental elections in the US, etc.).

While i'm not yet 75 (might feel like it sometimes :)) I suspect that I will still be enjoying a number of photography related books that people have bought for me over recent years and hopefully they'll keep buying them for me.

The kind of photography books I like are the kind of books with outstanding photography in it. Damnnn the words, it's all about the visuals.

On a similar theme - if you know who his favourite photographer is, you could always seek out a limited edition print, or muscle your way into getting an autographed print. A friend of mine from the other side of the world recently got an personalised autographed print from a rather famous photographer of his time for me - well, it might mean little to anyone else but i am in awe of it - again, one that will take a pride of place for me.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Time with great/grandkids is likely the most valuable thing, maybe an all-expenses paid trip to the zoo where he can get some shots of the kids in awe at the wildlife, then dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Thanks everyone for contributing great ideas. I got him a blurb gift card, he's fairly handy on the PC so this'll keep him going for a while.

Advertisement