Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings

Options
  • 12-05-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Saw someting interesting over the weekend.

There are 2 active starling nests under the sheet steel roof of a nearby shed. The adults are currently bringing food back to likely chicks.

I saw one starling trying to look into one of my nestboxes.

I then witnessed an altercation between the same starlings and the 2 adult blue tits that are currently incubating in another next box. This happened quite close to the active next box. Is started on the ground and moved into a tree and was joined by some close by gold finches.

Are the starlings a threat to the eggs/young ? Or is it territorial?

Why would they be looking into nest boxes?

Ta.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is possible that the starlings saw the blue tits bringing food to the nest and went to mug them. Mugging smaller birds is something starlings will do if they get the chance.

They will take and eat eggs if they get the chance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Counted 12 newly fledged starlings in the garden today! The noise is deafening.

Advertisement