Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passengers getting violent on Luas - where is security?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do you really see this working? I can really imagine PULSE filled up with descriptions of the beggars and the time of their moving on (which has no legal basis at all):rolleyes:

As KC61 said, this is a wider societal issue it's not for RPA/IE/DB to sort out.
    yes i see it working if these scum are not treated as the victims but as the criminals which they are. not getting into prisons debate here but if they were not as comfortable there might be less lawbreaking and criminality?

as said before even the homeless get enough of a daily allowance to survive on and also there is usually empty beds in hostels each night because many turn down beds because they would have to be sober or not high on heroin. all their problems are usually of their own making as most will have turned down offers of help from more than one organisation or from family/friends so why do they feel they have a right to beg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

foggy_lad wrote: »
    yes i see it working if these scum are not treated as the victims but as the criminals which they are. not getting into prisons debate here but if they were not as comfortable there might be less lawbreaking and criminality?

as said before even the homeless get enough of a daily allowance to survive on and also there is usually empty beds in hostels each night because many turn down beds because they would have to be sober or not high on heroin. all their problems are usually of their own making as most will have turned down offers of help from more than one organisation or from family/friends so why do they feel they have a right to beg?

I don't disagree with any of this. The problem is the powers that be aren't going to lock them up because of overcrowding. All Veolia / RPA can do is ask them to move on, all the Gardai can do is ask them to move on. Unless the government actually steps up and does something, nothing will happen.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of this. The problem is the powers that be aren't going to lock them up because of overcrowding. All Veolia / RPA can do is ask them to move on, all the Gardai can do is ask them to move on. Unless the government actually steps up and does something, nothing will happen.
    the real problem is the general public keep giving these leeches money! they are already getting what many would consider more than they are worth in welfare payments and then intimidate and threaten to get even more from the travelling public, it is really like toll on using the luas.

i would say proper monitoring of CCTV at luas stops and targeting of these people with announcements whenever they are spotted near the luas to advise and ask people not to give them any money would be very effective but Veolia wil not pay for this even with their recent huge profits. from my experience i formed the opinion they do not monitor their own cctv at weekends.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i would say proper monitoring of CCTV at luas stops and targeting of these people with announcements whenever they are spotted near the luas to advise and ask people not to give them any money would be very effective but Veolia wil not pay for this even with their recent huge profits. from my experience i formed the opinion they do not monitor their own cctv at weekends.

I saw this happen at Balally once. Perhaps they only allow begging on the red line? ;)

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I saw this happen at Balally once. Perhaps they only allow begging on the red line? ;)
    they have done it at jervis but only after a call from me, but strangely enough the announcements were made on the wrong platform casting further doubt if the cctv actually works at all? it is more likely it is trained on the front of trams and the doors and used solely to counter claims from the public rather than for customer safety!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

All Veolia / RPA can do is ask them to move on,
    are the station platforms not owned by RPA ? Do RPA have the legal obligation to stop certain people trespass on the platforms ?

trellheim wrote: »
    are the station platforms not owned by RPA ? Do RPA have the legal obligation to stop certain people trespass on the platforms ?

I'm not sure. I'd have thought the platforms were public. It's not like the DART where it is fenced off. I'm pretty certain there is no rule to say you have to have a ticket to stand on the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

At places like Beechwood and Cowper I've seen the inspectors catching people at the ends of the platforms and asking for ticeidi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There certainly are problems that are not found everywhere, but seem pretty much a problem in our society rather than something with the transport companies, so I find myself agreeing with KC61 here.

I've spent the best part of 8 hours traveling today nearly and have been outside Ireland for the last 10 days using public transport a hell of a lot in those ten days, and everything was calm respectful nice and orderly and calm.

I've took one bus in Dublin since I have got back and I've seen swearing at the driver, smoking banging loudly on bus windows and other things. When you have been away for a short time and you come back and see this, it hits you even more.

Forget the 7 hours I spent on other transport methods than Dublin Bus today, the 45 minutes I was on a service this evening felt like the longest trip I made today despite the fact it was the shortest by some distance. It's not a very nice environment and I totally can see why people would not want to use the bus because of it if they have a choice.

Society as a whole needs to sort this. To sum it up when I was getting off the bus a woman was letting her kids crawl around on the bus floor then screamed blue murder at the driver when he had to brake hard - of course it couldn't possibly be her fault for letting her kids roam about like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Forget the 7 hours I spent on other transport methods than Dublin Bus today, the 45 minutes I was on a service this evening felt like the longest trip I made today despite the fact it was the shortest by some distance. It's not a very nice environment and I totally can see why people would not want to use the bus because of it if they have a choice.

I really do believe that my management needs to begin to recognize the legitimacy of observations such as Devnull`s.

Hiring professional PR outfits to carry out "Customer Satisfaction" surveys or hiring othe "Secret Customer" outfits to provide feedback is to my mind an outdated and largely irrelevant tactic.

I remain unaware of ANY such "Consultancy" outfit who will not produce a report to fit the general expectation of the entity actually paying for that report.

Devnull`s experience tends to suggest that things are worseneing rapidly.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
Advertisement