Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore road inns ltd insolvent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is that Oskars bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is that Oskars bar?

The registered address is Washington Lodge, Newtown.

I never heard of Washington Lodge, nor of any inns in Newtown. (probably just registered as a business in some accountancy practice rather than operating out of Washington Lodge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is that Oskars bar?

Yep.

We'd be hoping that the banks will leave the running of it to the couple that are currently doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's a pity,

I always liked it in there even though I never really went.

It's a hidden gem imo.

Every Friday night the DJ plays oldies all night long at a nice volume. He also does a little music quiz where people can win dinner for two as oskars. Last few weeks it was TV themes I think. Also he throws out questions throughout the night where people can win free drinks. The banter is great.

Pints are only €4 all the time as well. I'd really hate to see it go but I think it needs a bit of a redesign...that bar is desperate looking.

• Advertisement

What I don't like about the place, and lots of new 'trendy' places like Masons or Twister Vicks, is that unless there is a good crowd in there, then there is absolutely no atmosphere.

Take Phil Grimes as a contrast. There might only be 2 other people in there, but it still has a sense of character.

So I expect such places as Oskars are hit hardest, as if a relatively few people stop going, then it will lose a lot of atmosphere, making it less attractive, and less people will go. Its a vicious circle.

I think the best thing they could do it close off a few sections.

iI understand what you're saying but this is true of all places. You could also say that when Philly Grimes is really busy...it's smelly, grubby and generally very messy.

The ideal bar would have spaces that closed off or opened depending on crowd size. None available as of now I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Like Egans used to be. What a great bar that was, 20 years ago. Monday night the front bar open, the rest not visible. Come Thurs, Fri, Sat, all 4 bars open the place was massive - and packed!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The food was never the same after they outsourced the kitchen. Used to be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

shame if it is going under.. nice spot.. nice pint

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    The food was never the same after they outsourced the kitchen. Used to be nice

The kitchen is not out sourced.

And It's not gone under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

The kitchen is not out sourced.

And It's not gone under.

wasn't it McAlpin's for a while? wasn't to pushed about it when they had it that way.

That was last year though. And didn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

The design was wrong from the outset. It always felt like a Hotel lobby. It certainly don't feel like a local should!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Oskers, is that the one headed out dunmore road on the left opposite the houseing estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

its a shame alright! i was only out there for a spot of lunch last weekend :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Oskars is'nt closed folks

No it isn't and it won't be closing any time soon.

19.5V wrote: »
    Oskars is'nt closed folks

But nobody said it was closed, they just said that it was insolvent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

dayshah wrote: »
    But nobody said it was closed, they just said that it was insolvent.
    I didnt say anyone said it was closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The most user unfriendly bar i have ever been in which is a great shame the location has massive potential.Most likely outcome,exsisting tenants will buy it from the bank's.

...and get rid of that fixture behind the bar. one of bob's worst ever ideas...I'm sure he'll admit that himself.

19.5V wrote: »
    I didnt say anyone said it was closed

I didn't say that you said that anyone said it was closed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

...and get rid of that fixture behind the bar. one of bob's worst ever ideas...I'm sure he'll admit that himself.

whats behind the bar?:confused:

A big huge round pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

A big huge round pillar.

What the hell were they thinking with that. Is it structural, load bearing or anything? The bloody thing is hugh and equally pointless.

And hollow...so not load bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

The thing with oskars is when the bar is busy things are great but when its quiet the off licence, which does good, must subsidise the bar. This brings things down to a very average revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

And hollow...so not load bearing.

Remember what happened the pillar in Masons? :eek:

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Remember what happened the pillar in Masons? :eek:

Ah the good old days. Happier times...

Advertisement