Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl angle grinder from 13th May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Angle grinder is good quality for the price, but discs are ok not great. Better to buy higher quality discs for the specific you need them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Angle grinder is good quality for the price, but discs are ok not great. Better to buy higher quality discs for the specific you need them for.

Tried the lidl discs on stone, terrible. Angle grinder grand for small jobs, with non-Lidl discs. Would probably manage to cut a bit of railing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Tried the lidl discs on stone, terrible. Angle grinder grand for small jobs, with non-Lidl discs. Would probably manage to cut a bit of railing.....

Any good for cutting a car clamp off by any chance???? I'd buy it to put in my boot if it was....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

deelite wrote: »
    Any good for cutting a car clamp off by any chance???? I'd buy it to put in my boot if it was....:D
    good idea, except.... where would you plug in? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

slimjimmc wrote: »

Into the petrol jennie that Lidl will surely offer at some point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Into the petrol jennie that Lidl will surely offer at some point :)

...or indeed the power inverter thats on offer in ALDI right this minute!!

Product_detail_Wk20S10.jpg
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_12899.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I bought one of their grinders years ago, possibly the first time they offered same for sale in Ireland. It has serverd me very well over the years doing whatever I asked of it. My home was built in the 30's when men were men, women wore no knickers and domestic residences were built like " brick built ****houses ". All its internal dividing walls are, were concrete. I have taken down six such walls and cut deep into outside concrete paths to lay new sewage/water pipes and all with Lidls Angle Grinder. I have always used Aldis , made of metal Workzone Diamond Cutting Disks which are of a very high standard and will last years. The standard "black in colour" cutting disks rated poor quality by some on this site are not really that bad when you consider the cost. Such disks are not really for heavy work, regardless of the manufacturer or price they will soon shred. Much better to use the Aldi or Parkside if you only have a Lidl near you.

hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

hitbit wrote: »
    I bought one of their grinders years ago, possibly the first time they offered same for sale in Ireland. It has serverd me very well over the years doing whatever I asked of it. My home was built in the 30's when men were men, women wore no knickers and domestic residences were built like " brick built ****houses ". All its internal dividing walls are, were concrete. I have taken down six such walls and cut deep into outside concrete paths to lay new sewage/water pipes and all with Lidls Angle Grinder. I have always used Aldis , made of metal Workzone Diamond Cutting Disks which are of a very high standard and will last years. The standard "black in colour" cutting disks rated poor quality by some on this site are not really that bad when you consider the cost. Such disks are not really for heavy work, regardless of the manufacturer or price they will soon shred. Much better to use the Aldi or Parkside if you only have a Lidl near you.

hitbit

Thanks for the advice. Do you know what time of year ALDI sell those disks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ...or indeed the power inverter thats on offer in ALDI right this minute!!

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_12899.htm

Ahh, great for phones, caravan lights, tv but a 150W power invertor ain't gonna run a 1000W angle grinder.

If used one of those Parkside grinders and they're not bad for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Don't know about about this particular one on sale, but I've bought a few cheap tools and on three of them the switches have burnt out, looks like the casing melts due to arcing and the contact move.
    I heard that these are only designed for about 30hrs of service, that would be suitable for light diy usage only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Well the esb are installing power points for electric cars now, that should power it nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Ahh, great for phones, caravan lights, tv but a 150W power invertor ain't gonna run a 1000W angle grinder.

Well, you can either wait for Aldi to offer a batter powered angle grinder. Or you can buy 7 of those inverters and hook all 7 together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Well, you can either wait for Aldi to offer a batter powered angle grinder. Or you can buy 7 of those inverters and hook all 7 together

Suicide!, trying to get all 7 outputs to be in phase!

Buy a cheap 1000W 12V inverter on ebay and attach a good pair of DC leads with battery clamps (or make from an old pair of jump leads)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1000W-12V-220V-Power-Car-Inverter-W-USB-1500-PEAK-Boat-/170481600988?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b17ec9dc#ht_5162wt_1012

Advertisement