Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 5 Monaco

• 12-05-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

This weekend sees the jewel of Formula 1’s crown, the Monaco Grand Prix, take centre stage as the race around the streets of the tiny principality form the most famous track on the Formula 1 calendar.

There is no greater challenge for a driver than racing on the tight and twisting public roads that are lined with barriers waiting to punish any mistake by the drivers with each corner littered with a history of past accidents by some of the greatest drivers of all time, whether it is Senna crashing going into the tunnel in ’88 or Schumacher at Porter in ’96 each corner has a history of epic proportions.

Monaco has historically been a car breaker with half of all cars finishing the race that have started. This has improved in recent years but even so only an average of 13 cars has finished in the last decade. This race will be exceptionally tough on the components of the cars and with the lack of in race refuelling it can be expected that teams will place a greater emphasis on durability rather than outright speed.

The Circuit

Monaco.png

With its tight and twisting nature Monaco places a greater requirement on mechanical grip than almost any other circuit Formula 1 visits throughout the year. Melbourne places a similar requirement on the cars and Red Bull was the class of the field in the dry in Australia so the team will look to replicate that form this weekend. They will once more take the fastest car in the field to Monaco but will face stiff competition as there are five different previous winners challenging Webber and Vettel for victory. The past winners are Button, Alonso, Trulli, Hamilton and Michael Schumacher, long renowned as a ‘Monaco Master.’

Weather for the Monaco Grand Prix

Changeable weather is forecast for this weekend’s race but it is expected that most of the rain will pass the Rivera by the time cars roll out for practice tomorrow. The expectation if for it to be cloudy but there is only a 15% chance of rain according to local stations.

Statistics

Obviously enough with the tight track configuration it is necessary to qualify at the front of the field to have a successful Grand Prix; the winner generally comes from the first three on the grid. Olivier Panis is the lowest qualified driver to emerge victorious having won the wet 1996 edition from 14th on the grid. This race coincidently was the second most mechanically challenging race ever with only 7 of 22 cars finishing. The 1990 race won by Senna was slightly more taxing on cars and drivers (7 of 26.)

Monaco was one of the races that formed the inaugural Formula 1 World Championship but due to financial issues the race was not restaged until 1955, since then it has had an uninterrupted presence in the championship.
    Senna is the most successful driver to grace the principality with six wins ahead of Graham Hill and Michael Schumacher with five apiece.

What can we expect from this weekend?

The Red Bull’s will once more be expected to arrive in Monaco with the fastest car but the one thing that Monaco has always been able to provide is a shock result. This is one of the last circuits on the calendar that can allow the driver to make a massive difference and as a result it is generally more beneficial to look at past Monaco Grand Prix rather than this seasons race weekends to find the potential form for this weekend.

Lewis Hamilton will once more look to showcase his abilities on the streets where he won in 2008, but with Michael Schumacher looking more confident in the Mercedes from Barcelona he could be primed to spring a surprise this weekend. The raw pace of the updated Mercedes wasn’t all that impressive in Spain but the fact that Schumacher looked confident in how it would react and handle could make him a legitimate contender on Sunday.

BBC Schedule:
    Thursday 13 May
    Practice one: 0855-1035
    Practice two: 1255-1435
    Saturday 15 May
    Practice three: 0955-1105
    Qualifying: 1210-1430
    Sunday 16 May
    Race: 1210-1530

2009 Button
    2008 Hamilton
    2007 Alonso
    2006 Alonso
    2005 Raikkonen
    2004 Trulli
    2003 Montoya
    2002 Coulthard
    2001 M. Schumacher
    2000 Coulthard
    1999 M. Schumacher
    1998 Hakkinen
    1997 M. Schumacher
    1996 Panis
    1995 M. Schumacher
    1994 M. Schumacher
    1993 Senna
    1992 Senna
    1991 Senna
    1990 Senna
    1989 Senna
    1988 Prost
    1987 Senna
    1986 Prost
    1985 Prost
    1984 Prost
    1983 K. Rosberg
    1982 Patrese
    1981 G. Villeneuve
    1980 Reutemann
    1979 Scheckter
    1978 Depailler
    1977 Scheckter
    1976 Lauda
    1975 Lauda
    1974 Peterson
    1973 Stewart
    1972 Beltoise
    1971 Stewart
    1970 Rind
    1969 G. Hill
    1968 G. Hill
    1967 Hulme
    1966 Stewart
    1965 G. Hill
    1964 G. Hill
    1963 G. Hill
    1962 McLaren
    1961 Moss
    1960 Moss
    1959 Brabham
    1958 Trintiqnant
    1957 Fangio
    1956 Moss
    1955 Trintiqnant
    1950 Fangio

Taken from my blog: http://stevieenglishblog.blogspot.com/

Was Schumacher`s Penality Justified? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    25% 7 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    75% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Great post frostie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stupid college all weekend :mad::mad::mad:
    Have to tape it and run the risk of overhearing who won.

Any circuit changes / adjustments this year?
    I imagine the pit lane will be completely chock a block with the extra teams, it was tight enough as it was. Bound to be all sorts of issues with the bigger number of cars on such a tight track, good watching :):)

Hamilton in the wall like last year too please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hamilton in the wall like last year too please :D

or Vettel ;)

I guess anyone can make a mistake or get caught up in somebody elses accident.

Really looking forward to it, love when its only a one week gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

ny circuit changes / adjustments this year?
    I imagine the pit lane will be completely chock a block with the extra teams, it was tight enough as it was. Bound to be all sorts of issues with the bigger number of cars on such a tight track, good watching :):)

The main changes to the track are a re profiling of the curbs at the chicanes so as to lesson the advantage from cutting them, probably just putting in more of the humps that have become prevalent (the ones Vettel ran over in Barcelona.)

Apart from that the track has been resurfaced from Sainte Devote to Massenet and from Mirabeau to portier, the exit of the tunnel to the chicane was also resurfaced.

The pitlane shouldn't be too bad-remember they built new permanent garages for the race so there shouldn't be too much of an issue with the new teams....and definitely no problems like having to put Stewart GP into a multistory car park in 97!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I think the main race this weekend will be on the Saturday. Sunday will just be a procession. I hope im wrong though because Monaco deserves an exciting race.

• Advertisement

I think the main race this weekend will be on the Saturday. Sunday will just be a procession. I hope im wrong though because Monaco deserves an exciting race.

Don't speak too soon.

Saturday might be a procession too by all accounts!

smooch71 wrote: »
    Don't speak too soon.

Saturday might be a procession too by all accounts!

Dont really mind the procession on saturday because it will shake things up.

But, as i said - i hope we see some racing on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Fly into Nice in the morning with 3 of my mates, will need to be surgically removed by the time Sunday afternoon comes and the race is over! Cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

You'd have to define what you mean by exciting, Monaco has been won at an average of around 30 seconds so the races tend to be quite stretched at the front. One of the most processional races was 88, yet it is one of the most talked about ever when Senna drove away from the field before crashing and handing the win to Prost.

I think that there is the possibility for an exciting race at the front if, and its a big if, the McLarens, Ferraris and Mercedes can get on the pace of the Red Bulls. If that happens there is the chance of a race like 92 occurring. That year Senna and Mansell had a great battle for the lead after Mansell had to pit to replace a puncture and chase down the non-stopping Senna to the flag.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Fly into Nice in the morning with 3 of my mates, will need to be surgically removed by the time Sunday afternoon comes and the race is over! Cannot wait!

Wish i was going aswell! Was suposed to be going to this but something came up. Enjoy it :D

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    You'd have to define what you mean by exciting, Monaco has been won at an average of around 30 seconds so the races tend to be quite stretched at the front. One of the most processional races was 88, yet it is one of the most talked about ever when Senna drove away from the field before crashing and handing the win to Prost.

I think that there is the possibility for an exciting race at the front if, and its a big if, the McLarens, Ferraris and Mercedes can get on the pace of the Red Bulls. If that happens there is the chance of a race like 92 occurring. That year Senna and Mansell had a great battle for the lead after Mansell had to pit to replace a puncture and chase down the non-stopping Senna to the flag.

Good point- i just want to see abit of racing. Will probably stick a bet on Button at 10-1. There are also alot of blind corners at Monaco and hence the possiblity of some backmarkers being rear ended. Could spice things up nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Really hoping Schumacher can surprise a few people here.
    I think the addition of the much slower new teams here could make this an exciting Monaco, lots of possibilities to get caught behind back markers.

Tyres were a pretty big factor last year and might be more so this year with new rules. Wonder will it just be the one stop for most cars

Here's the current forcast
    C4F9DAC3317841C3B839344A9F79481E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The lack of refueling will surely turn monaco into a procession. No strategy involved anymore really if its a dry race.
    Schumacher on the podium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If there's any safety car I can see the race being called on time. The race lasted 1.40 last year, I'd say it'll be about 1.47 this year, bearing in mind there will be a big effect on the cars with the heavier fuel loads.

****in hell, showing Brundle getting pulled from the wreckage in 1984, how was F1 allowed to take place with marshalls like that!?

amacachi wrote: »
    ****in hell, showing Brundle getting pulled from the wreckage in 1984, how was F1 allowed to take place with marshalls like that!?
    thought the interview with brundle really showed how different it was, to think he wanted to go out in the spare car straight after and not even knowing what had happened he was so out of it
    was surprised watching satos blow up, could have been much worse with marshels about and satos car one side and overturned car in the barrier on the otherside

nice sunny morning in monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

VW 1 wrote: »

Very jealous. Where will you be watching it from?

I think Schu would love a 6th Monaco win. Practise should be on soon. Would love to be going over to this race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Poor Kobayashi has slammed into a wall already. Wing gone - yellow flags out.

Q1 on Saturday is gonna be insane. 24 cars with 10 minutes to post times. And thats not even factoring in the chance of rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

F1 racing legend Sir Stirling Moss on Twitter: "In 1960 they did 100 laps and drove 3½ hours which required supreme concentration."

I'm really starting to tire of this old codger and his "well in my day..." carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Will prac 2 be live on BBc red button?

I'm really starting to tire of this old codger and his "well in my day..." carry on.

NOOooo...

Why won't he just shut the f*ck up??

Is he suggesting driving around Monaco in a modern F1 car is a doddle?

The guy's a relic of a bygone era. He'd do better to remember that and disappear gracefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Lads is this on any TV channel?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Lads is this on any TV channel?

BBC show it on the red button digital service.

I get it on Sky but I don't know about the digital providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

BBC show it on the red button digital service.

I get it on Sky but I don't know about the digital providers.

Thats fine i have sky, Thanks a million!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Q1 on Saturday is gonna be insane. 24 cars with 10 minutes to post times. And thats not even factoring in the chance of rain...

20 mins ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

NOOooo...

Why won't he just shut the f*ck up??

Is he suggesting driving around Monaco in a modern F1 car is a doddle?

The guy's a relic of a bygone era. He'd do better to remember that and disappear gracefully.

According to Anthony Davidson in Practice 1 today, modern cars are a doddle and he wouldn't consider attempting Monaco in cars from that era, as he drove one at goodwood. Described it as "scary", no protection, no brakes, very little traction.

Moss isn't a man who blows his own trumpet - I think the media have latched onto him of late, and thanks to saturation coverage it's easy to get tired of people. Someone like Moss or Stewart could get approached for a comment, spend 30 seconds talking, and by the time the various media have quoted it, requoted it, commented on it and analysed it, it's still going around a week later.

I wouldn't put too much into how things are reported, just look at what Button was meant to have said earlier in the season. Can't remember exactly what it was but there was a thread on here about it and when it was put in context he was 100% right in what he said, but it wasn't reported like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Any car is a doddle to drive, it's just driving it quickly that takes the skill and expertise.
    The 'older' car, consisted of gear-changes, steering and acceleration and needed a good sense of balance .............. now, the additional controls and the use communications and 'g' forces. The fitness level, ability to maintain concentration and reaction times.

Just a little difference but easier, not really.

• Advertisement

Bad practice session for Ferrari this morning, with Alonso destroying the right side of his car. Massa didn't look too comfortable with the car either, sliding it close to the wall two or three times, but did well to put in one of the fastest times. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it all together for qualifying and get the two cars near the front.

Button seemed to be struggling for grip too, Rosberg and Kubica look pretty dialed in and on the limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Alonso out of qualifying. Spotlight on Massa now. Really looking forward to this qualifying session.

How many times did Jake crash when he was at Silverstone? :L

Pity about alonso, strange that the car was so damaged in a relatively minor smash, should be good to watch him try get through the field tomorrow.

What was DLR at there? If he was looking for some space he had it, a good few hundred metres clear ahead of him at least. If he was coming into the pits he should get a fine.

Legard really, really getting on my nerves today.

• Advertisement

Surprised to see Liuzzi on the soft tyres, thought the slower guys would be sticking the hards on.

Penalty for Massa hopefully. Ironic all the moaning about how the slow teams were going to hold everyone else up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Webber is on a roll.

Loved Webber checking out Kubica's tyres at the end. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Loved Webber checking out Kubica's tyres at the end. :pac:

I thought he was checking his own did he check Kubica's too? He said he hit a barrier in the press conference so i thought he was checking for damage.

• Advertisement

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I thought he was checking his own did he check Kubica's too? He said he hit a barrier in the press conference so i thought he was checking for damage.

99% sure he was looking at Kubica's as well. Forgive me if I'm wrong, hard to tell with the helmet. :pac:

The Rosberg & Schumacher interviews after qualifying were very interesting, 'specially Schumacher first complimenting everybody on how they behaved and then giving out about Rosberg :pac:

Will be interesting to see which one of them get into the first corner first tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

The Rosberg & Schumacher interviews after qualifying were very interesting, 'specially Schumacher first complimenting everybody on how they behaved and then giving out about Rosberg :pac:

Will be interesting to see which one of them get into the first corner first tomorrow

Schumacher will be getting into the first corner before Nico - Schui is on the better side and is also Jesus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Eddie Jordan on the BBC is the most excruciating thing on the TV today.

There were only a couple of hundredths between Rosberg and Schumacher and he was talking as if Rosberg was on pole and Schumacher was 10th.

Legard was annoying too, again. He doesnt have a clue whats going on. He just clearly doesnt look at the timing screens or have much common sense when commentating on what's going on. In Barcelona someone tried to take someone on the inside coming into the first corner, decides he cant make it so reassumes position and he goes "Oh, it wont work there, will he try to do it on the outside? NO!" The first car had already turned in and the second one hadnt started it yet when he said it.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I cant explain it, hes a annoying. Ted and Martin could work.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Schumacher will be getting into the first corner before Nico - Schui is on the better side and is also Jesus....

Nico being on the row ahead should be ok, then again if massa gets a penalty they might be beside each other :pac:

Is there a way to get the radio commentary on TV? I was watching the quali today and it said to press red for audio options but there were none.

Is there a way to get the radio commentary on TV? I was watching the quali today and it said to press red for audio options but there were none.

was working for me, press red button, select f1 qual/race, press 1 to fill the screen, then when the radio commentry starts 5 min before the action an option for sound shows up and you press left or right to switch

if its a free to air box, its normally channel stream 1 or something, and just select the correct audio

the coverage for the race in spain was great, with a seperate channel just with onboard camera

was working for me, press red button, select f1 qual/race, press 1 to fill the screen, then when the radio commentry starts 5 min before the action an option for sound shows up and you press left or right to switch

if its a free to air box, its normally channel stream 1 or something, and just select the correct audio

the coverage for the race in spain was great, with a seperate channel just with onboard camera

Well it was in progress today when I tried, didn't fullscreen it though, shall try tomorrow.

So, anyone think Alonso has any chance of points tomorrow? I think he should start on the soft tyres and pit after a lap and just take it home from there. A safety car and he'd be right up front with that tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If he manages to keep out of trouble I'd say so yea, there is a lot of inexperienced drivers to get by on a narrow circuit circuit though and I'd imagine a lot of coming togethers early on. Would love to see a brilliant charge from him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement