Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmer weather on way?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Max of 24.7c here today, 0.3c cooler than yesterday. Oh the pedantry of it all.

Time for a decent thunderstorm now. Will be nice to have at least ONE this year. :mad::mad:

Fingers crossed, I remember whne I moved to Galway in 99 there were a good few thunderstorms that summer, since then a few here and there but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

dloob wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, I remember whne I moved to Galway in 99 there were a good few thunderstorms that summer, since then a few here and there but not much.

Yep, thunderstorm frequency has really fallen to rock bottom in the last 10 years. Remember watching this one in May 2007: (not my pic)

lightning-1a.jpg

taken from the docks overlooking the bay. I remember the storm was just east of the city over the Gort/Oranmore area. Lightning was incredible and the way it is forking down over the bay and rebound off the Burren on the other side was fantastic.

Hopefully this summer will bring plenty similar scenes. :)

Pic sourced: http://www.johnsmyth.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

TY. Casement is near the N7 no..?

That's the one.

With you Min. Let's hope we see some storms like this in the near future:

Play it loud! :pac:

Reminded me of this one:

:pac:

From today's Irish Times:
    After The Heatwave: Cooler Weather On The Way

PAUL CULLEN

Mon, May 24, 2010

1224271011556_1.jpg
    A Roscommon county fireman fights a forest fire near Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon, yesterday
    Photograph: Mick McCormac
    k

PACK AWAY the sunscreen and barbeques for another while, say the forecasters, as cooler weather moves in today to replace the late spring heatwave over the weekend.

Temperatures everywhere are expected to drop from the mid-20 degrees experienced over much of the country on Saturday and Sunday, though the good weather should hang on for another day in southern parts.

However, the week should be mostly dry and there is hope of a rise in temperatures again before next weekend, according to Met Éireann.

Saturday was the hottest day of the year so far and Mount Dillon in Co Roscommon was the hottest place in the country on the day. It recorded a maximum of almost 26 degrees, while temperatures almost everywhere away from coasts reached 24 degrees. Yesterday, it was a degree or so cooler in most places but still well above the average for this time of year.

This weekends temperatures are unusual but not unheard of, according to forecaster Siobhán Ryan of Met Éireann. It was hotter on Saturday than at any time during May 2008, the warmest, driest and sunniest May on record, when the mercury reached a high of 25 degrees.

The balmy weather, occurring a week before summer officially begins, encouraged large numbers to head for the beaches. The AA reported heavy traffic around seaside locations such as Ballybunion in Co Kerry, Salthill in Galway city and Dunmore East and Tramore in Co Waterford.

A weak cold front was forecast to pass over the country last night bringing drizzle in some northern parts, but today should be mostly warm and dry.

Temperatures will remain over 20 degrees in the south, but are likely to fall to about 18 degree elsewhere, and many areas will suffer gusts.

The general decline in temperatures will continue, though many areas will have sunshine and the winds will move northerly. From Thursday, it should start getting warmer again. Although the winds will move around again to the north, disruption to air traffic from Icelands Eyjafjallajiökull volcano is thought unlikely. Only a small amount of ash is being emitted, according to latest reports from the University of Iceland.

© 2010 The Irish Times

I wouldn't call it a "heatwave", now... :rolleyes:

Mind you, that's a hell of a fire! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i cant sleep with the heat,windows open, duvet off, no wonder as casement at midnight was still 17 degrees, my closest station.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mountjuliet

lord lucan wrote: »
    Oh yeah,you can't whack a good thunderstorm. Haven't had a good one here in ages.:(

You might get one sooner rather than later - it's milling down here at the moment.

Haven't seen a decent thunderstorm since 1999.
    Back in the 80's we used to get them every summer - what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You might get one sooner rather than later - it's milling down here at the moment.

Haven't seen a decent thunderstorm since 1999.
    Back in the 80's we used to get them every summer - what happened?

It's been very dull and threatening rain for the last couple of hours here in West Dublin but so far nothing. I'd love a great big thunderstorm now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's been very dull and threatening rain for the last couple of hours here in West Dublin but so far nothing. I'd love a great big thunderstorm now!:D

Same here most of the afternoon but nay a drop. Nothing happening except a nagging WNW breeze that'd cut through you. Horrible day that is as ugly looking as it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Same here most of the afternoon but nay a drop. Nothing happening except a nagging WNW breeze that'd cut through you. Horrible day that is as ugly looking as it feels.

Yep,nothing turned up here at all. I know what you mean by the breeze,was out on the motorbike a couple of hours ago,was getting buffeted by a fierce wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The warm weather last week was very nice indeed, but honestly we cant handle the heat here, my house was boiling last week and worse during the night after the sun had heated it all day. I felt like one of those poor guys you see on american tv that has a broken air conditioner and is dieing in the heat, Only thing is that not many houses here have an AC at all! Oh well least I can keep the fridge door closed this week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next week the weather is looking pretty warm. But will we get a repeat of 22nd/23rd May? Met Eireann are being cautious with Mild and Humid with Rain but charts show a High Plonked over us.

Advertisement