Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appealing clamping

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

jpb1974 wrote: »
    By using their car park you're more or less agreeing to the manner in which they operate their car park. They operate on the basis that you pay upfront for your ticket and you are then entrusted with being able to properly display it on your vehicle.

I've used such car parks hundreds of times and have never had an issue... I always ensure that the ticket was securely positioned in a location that was absolutely visible.

If you no longer agree with this format then you should really look for a car park where you're issued with a ticket when you enter and you only pay when you leave... but I'm guessing even with this format some people will have issues hanging onto their ticket :rolleyes:

This situation is somewhat along the lines of buying a return train ticket... subsequently losing the ticket when you get to Dublin... and then expecting to get on the train home without a ticket... not exactly the same circumstances but another situation where you're effectively responsible for the proper care of the ticket.

I understand and accept your point but they're activelty punishing your for a very genuine mistake, if you don't have a ticket on the train or lost it you'll be expected to buy one, you're not going to be hand cuffed to the train untill you pay a few 1000% more then the inital fee so that you can be let go. Even if you were to lose your parking ticket in a multistory, last time I checked it's like 10-20 euro to get it sorted.

In saying all that I've never been clamped by a private company, it's just a disgrace in my opinion that they do this to people and there's no regulation on fines. It is a horrible thing to do to someone else, you're basically holding their property hostage untill they pay what ever figure you cook up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I understand and accept your point but they're activelty punishing your for a very genuine mistake, if you don't have a ticket on the train or lost it you'll be expected to buy one

In fairness I did make the point "not exactly the same circumstances".

In fairness I did make the point "not exactly the same circumstances".

You did, but I think it's a fair comparison. Just because someone says they're going to do something under a certain set of circumstances it doesn't mean that people should accept that without question, they're a private company they have no legal rights to do what they do, and they money they look for is unjustifiable. Not trying to troll just trying to make a point.

they're a private company they have no legal rights to do what they do, and they money they look for is unjustifiable. Not trying to troll just trying to make a point.

No problem there at all... you're entitled to your opinion.

I think everyone will agree that parking and clamping are a pain in the hole... and in a perfect world the system would be better. You could apply that logic to a lot of things.

But getting back to a point made here earlier - someone says they dropped the ticket and that it wasn't there fault... so in any case even if what they were doing was legal and the fines were fair there's no accounting for this type of stupidity... in my humble opinion of course :)

But getting back to a point made here earlier - someone says they dropped the ticket and that it wasn't there fault... so in any case even if what they were doing was legal and the fines were fair there's no accounting for this type of stupidity... in my humble opinion of course :)

Slightly harsh, I wouldn't say people who acidently drop their parking ticket are stupid. Anyways IF what they were doing was legal and IF the fines were fair I don't think people would really have a problem, either way they're not and they shouldn't be accepted by anyone.

• Advertisement

But how do you accidentally drop your parking ticket?

* You put it on the dash in a secure and visible location

* You make sure all the windows are shut

* You get out of the car

* You close all the doors

* You check that the ticket is still in it's secure and visible location

* You lock the car

* You double check the ticket to ensure it's still in it's secure and visible location

... and voilà... Bob's your Uncle.

How does the ticket then get lost without it being your fault? Earthquake? Force 9 Gale that enters you car via the front grill?

I mean there are only 2 things I can think of -

1. The ticket has an adhesive strip that fails.. and I haven't seen a ticket with adhesive on it in a long time

2. You fit it to a small plastic holder that's fitted in some cars on the windscreen these days but it's faulty and doesn't have sufficient grip.. but that'd be your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Junge_Frau_2009

so in any case even if what they were doing was legal and the fines were fair there's no accounting for this type of stupidity... in my humble opinion of course :)

I did ask for constructive suggestions - that means if you do not have anything constructive to say - please don't say anything at all!

On the point about stupidity, - did you ever hear about something happening to you that is outside your control. You might think about focusing on the issue the next time you decide to comment on a thread.

I left the ticket on the dashboard, and ran for my train, as most commuters do every day of the week. I can not explain how or indeed why the parking ticket fell on the floor. The issue is that I paid for my ticket, I left it on display, I paid an astronomical fine to get my car released, and when I appealed it with my ticket as evidence for paying for the facility, I was told that this does not count for anything. This has never happened to me before and as I now blue-tack my ticket to the window - hopefully never will again. I am saying that their appeals process is broken - i.e. it does not work - it is not fair, and I would imagine any court in the land would strike it out. However - I want to know if anybody knows of a regulator that controls these cowboys as I want to highlight this injustice.

So please, if you are reading this, and can suggest how I might move this forward, then I would be glad to hear your comments...

J.F.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

can suggest how I might move this forward, then I would be glad to hear your comments...

Being honest, forget about it, suck it up and make sure the ticket is displayed.
    I am sure in their terms and Conds that it states pay and display which unfortunately you didn't do. Imagine if you could always get your money back on appeal by having the ticket, who says you didn't get a ticket from someone else, or they would have to clamp every car because no one would "have" to display. All the featherheads who never remember anything would waste the clampers time day in day out.
    You were caught through no fault of your own or theirs, you had to pay the fine and will make sure your ticket is stuck for ever more. You won't get any comeback, I am sure they are totally within their rights/limits/legalities to have done what they did and it would only have been goodwill that would have accepted an appeal.
    Have a few drinks and forget about it. If needs be, have a lot of drinks and forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Junge_Frau_2009

TheDriver wrote: »
    Being honest, forget about it, suck it up and make sure the ticket is displayed.
    Have a few drinks and forget about it. If needs be, have a lot of drinks and forget about it

Thanksicon12.gif! I really feel like doing that icon6.gif ... It just sucks when you know you were not in the wrong... An expensive weeks parking for me icon9.gif!

J.F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

we have all had those experiences and indeed it sucks, you feel like fighting and the only person who is going to loose is you, monetary, emotionally and physically drained.
    Get your mind onto something else and put it down to experience

• Registered Users Posts: 28,549 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not put a spare insurance/tax disc holder into the window and put the ticket in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I did ask for constructive suggestions - that means if you do not have anything constructive to say - please don't say anything at all!

You don't get to decide who can reply to a thread on a public discussion form though. Whether it's the answer you want to hear or not, other posters can reply if they want to.
    It just sucks when you know you were not in the wrong...

The ticket was not displayed properly, so like it or not, you were in the wrong. The clamping company had no choice but to clamp a car that was not displaying a ticket properly.

You can't do anything about this, and there's no hope of getting your refund. As TheDriver said, suck it up and move on. In future, check the ticket is still in place before leaving. If you're in a hurry, you'll take the risk again.

that means if you do not have anything constructive to say - please don't say anything at all!
    Eh... I supplied you with the 'Dummies Guide to displaying your Parking Ticket'... I thought that was pretty constructive to be honest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Havent read all of this thread but going to them with a valid ticket proves nothing as it doesnt have the reg on it so it could of been anyones ticket.

Advertisement