Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting price

• 12-05-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone give me a idea of a price for the following ;

14 doors undercoated and finish coat - satin white

5 rooms (Dining room, Sitting room , kitchen,office and hallways landing and stairs) two coats of while on ceiling and two coats of neutral colour on walls.

regards

leon

PS I supply paint . House is a normal size 3 bed semi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

I would guess 800 approx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

im a painter and it would be 1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm surprised you can give a quote without actually seeing the walls first. What about dents, etc that need to be fillled/sanded prior to painting? Would you not have to factor in that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

just out of nosieyness, why do you need 2 coats on the ceilings? unless they weren't previously white its not really needed...

Also i cant see how anyone can price a house without seeing it first, sure the woodwork can be priced but not the walls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Must be small house. I wouldnt do it 4 that. Taking into account that you could be waiting on stuff being moved around and out of the way, also fill sand caulk etc. 1200 would be a low price and id say you would get a rushed job. Maybe thats just me but without looking at it it is impossible to say. like could be 1600 if the walls are bad and your puting a neutral colour over a strong colour. Lots of factors to take into account. 800 is a cowboys price:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Sounds like the Irish guys are once again pricing themselves out of the business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Sounds like the Irish guys are once again pricing themselves out of the business!
    Iv got constant work thankfully i do still have the option of refusing jobs as i have to take in a certain figure every week to pay for house bills family etc. I do price fair and competitive but at the end of the day ye cant do it for free. Like i said 1600 is a cap and it may not cost this... i was just making an example that you cant price a painting job without looking at it first. The Irish tradesman has been hit hard by the recent times and at the end of the day, most of the people saying they should work for minimum wage wouldnt consider handing 25%+ of their salary back to their employer as it would put any budget into the red. What do you work at and id love to no what wage decrease you have taken to save the jobs of ur colleagues. People would rather see a percentage of their fellow employees made redundant than to do the right thing and collectively take wage decreases, And then talk about how everyone elses obligation to work like the poles. A lot of poles live in houses packed to the brim with their friends and dont have huge overheads, so i think its very hard to compete with these guys. Apologies if ive gone on a rant here but i do feel i make a valid point...:D:p (oh and to set the record straight polish people are a hard working culture and im not having a go, just explaining the situation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

There is 4 days max in the doors and frames even allowing for caulking and filling.

l would say 5 days max on the walls and ceilings .

so 9 days max times whatever u are happy topay a tradesman.

ld say 9 x €150 if u were getting a recomended painter who was gona do the job 100% would be fair.

800 way too low and 1600 is a little bit high imo.

as for the poster who thinks irish lads are pricing themselves out of work thats rubish talk.

lots of tradesmen still very busy if u do a good job for a fair price u will always be busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

the thing that annoys me RE attitude towards painter is the fact that if someone needs a plumber or someone to come fix a washing machine, they would think nothing of paying him 40 ph (even if they are only there 20mins its still an hour) but if a painter asks for a farction of that they "are mad", sam allpies to getting car fixed, they would think nothing of paying X per hour but if a painter asks for it again they "are mad", its baffles me that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

get a foreign lad to do your work then and send all your money to poland.the irish wonder why the country has no money left,think about all the cash they take back home every month.they dont spend a penny over here.there workin for half the rates here and signing on at the same time,how a legit business is suppost to compete against this i really dont know.there advertising here in kerry to paint a whole room for 70 euro,im a qualified painter of 13 years and there is no way anyone can do it for that kind of money and do the job right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement