Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom network core shagged today

• 12-05-2010 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Well, either their core or some of their main routers.....perhaps both.

Connection to akamai and Bing is the only major route that appears OK. Google and opendns are both borked with severe packet loss and timeouts.

Yes, MS Office 2010 is launched today and the windows update patches came out only yesterday so were there one day when Akamai and MS deserved a break and where the download speeds to eircom needed to look good for the 'state of the internet' report it is today :D

You may find it best to change back to native eircom dns until they crack the issue.....whatever it is. Most unusual for eircom this, they have some good guys running that core.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not the core , must be some of their peering with other carriers off the 83.71.. range. Anyway opendns is particularly borked and maybe a change to an internal eircom dns like 159.134.237.6 will get you around it if you find it a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I find it hard to believe than eircom dns servers are better than open dns.. i seem to recall eircom's dns servers being openly hacked a few months ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Anyway opendns is particularly borked

That explains some weird speed issues I was having this morning (wildly fluctuating between full speed and sub 30k/s every few minutes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe than eircom dns servers are better than open dns.. i seem to recall eircom's dns servers being openly hacked a few months ago...

Don't think anyone stated that Eircoms DNS was any better than OpenDNS (or Google DNS for that matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

thanks folks, helpful stuff.
    i've been on open dns since the hacking thing last year, and yeah, it does seem borked today.

that's the first time i've ever said "borked" and it feels good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are security and performance issues with OpenDNS. Generally if your ISP is properly organised it reduces latency of browsing a lot to use your own ISP's DNS.

OpenDNS should generally only be used temporarily while an ISP's DNS is fixed. Every different server URL needs a DNS lookup. On your own ISP's network with decent broadband this is < 20ms per URL (maybe even < 5ms on some ISPs) . An off local network DNS on public Internet can easily add > 50ms latency per DNS lookup. In extreme cases this can make a web page with mutiple domains/server URLs take longer than browsing via Satellite.

An alternative to open dns is the Verizon one, 4.2.2.2

Adds 35ms per DNS transaction compared to your own ISP DNS.

I have no idea how many tcp/ip transactions there are for a DNS lookup. Obviously a minimum of one.

watty wrote: »

It will because it is in the states....but there is no packet loss unlike the as yet unresolved opendns issue. Lots of people only use opendns because eircom tech support told them too last summer when their dns was poisoned :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have no idea how many tcp/ip transactions there are for a DNS lookup. Obviously a minimum of one.

Those are legacy DNS systems, kept going as a courtesy for the most part. They should not be considered production systems.
    sponge bob wrote:
    It will because it is in the states....but there is no packet loss unlike the as yet unresolved opendns issue.

They're multicast, the closest is London.

• Advertisement

The latency would be much higher to USA. Extra 35ms for London is typical.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    (at midday today) maybe a change to an internal eircom dns like 159.134.237.6 will get you around it if you find it a nuisance.

go to http://192.168.1.254/ or better http://192.168.1.254/indexExptCfgRES.htm?confConnRES.htm on a Netopia, "primary dns" should be OK if it reads all zero.

If it reads an open dns address ( generally 208.67.222.22 or 208.67.220.220) instead of 0.0.0.0 and if you have problems then set it to 159.134.237.6 instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

DNS lookups are UDP - zone transfers are TCP so no ack required for simple looked up

I use dyndns internet guide: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dynguide/ - works quite well, and has an element of safety in that it doesn't allow you go to sites reported with viruses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eircoms DNS servers have been rock solid since they got hacked. I've been using Opendns on the network with my own pc manually set to use Eircoms and my resolves are alot snappier.

Maybe if folks are considering finding a faster DNS provioider, yea could use Namebench - great little tool, tests a bunch of DNS servers to see which ones are quickest with a range of requests

Unless your own ISP is broken it ought to be fastest.

I think for most people that tool is a bit of an overkill.

I think for most people that tool is a bit of an overkill.

'Most people' wouldn't usually be playing around with their default ISP DNS settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats the thing, up until they got hacked they didn't work well, timeouts etc, Opendns performed much better. They must have invested in some new gear.

Oddly eircom is now owned by a Telecomms company that also own "Global crossing" fibre company in Ireland. Previously owned by Vulture Capitalist Asset Strippers. I'd guess that makes a difference to fixing "core" needs such as DNS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement