Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping and repainting laptop casing?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I have an Inspiron 6400, the old grey and white ones. I was wondering if anyone has experience with clipping off the casing, stripping the paint off and re-spraying the plastic? Once the faces are taken off it's fine, I'm just not sure how difficult it would be to take all the faces off the unit (especially around the screen), and if it'd be more trouble than it's worth. I'd just like to de-brand it and paint it a uniform colour.

Anyone have any experience with doing this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm not sure about the Inspiron 6400, but other Dell models are reasonably easy to remove the casing around the screen. Some models are just a case of clip-offs once the bottom is unscrewed.

I've had experience with some models of mainly Dell and Acer, had no problem removing the screen face.

The only other option is to cover up the screen well and spray it :pac:

EDIT: This might interest you http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-cosmetic-modifications-custom-builds/230378-spray-painted-my-dell-laptop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dunno how you'd get rid of the badge on the back of the lid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

personally, i'd get some hard plastic shaped and cover over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Dunno how you'd get rid of the badge on the back of the lid.

Planning on making as accurate blank replacement as I can, then epoxy-ing and sanding back the area to try make it flush.

Just don't have experience doing this kind of thing with a laptop before. I want this machine to last until at least Christmas, and if I'm potentially going to cause awkwardness and issues with it I probably won't bother.

Cheers.

Advertisement