Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Nova 100

• 12-05-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi there, has anyone heard when the new Nova is coming, if at all ? When and who will be presenting ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

From their FB page:
    its a secret at the moment, you see the other radio stations would love to know when we are going to hit the airwaves, however keep coming back here or visit www.nova100.ie for updates. Needless to say you won't have to wait too long!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Fago! wrote: »
    From their FB page:

Thank you Fago -sounds petty but they must be starting up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

They have to be on air by Sept or the BAI will revoke their licence.

Big secret alright :D

Btr wrote: »
    Thank you Fago -sounds petty but they must be starting up

Petty? What do you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des Whelan gets everywhere! Maybe Zenith Classic Rock need to give him a call ;)
    Typical artists will include Queen, U2, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Genesis, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy,Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Police, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Seger, Manfred Mann, Simple Minds, Van Halen, Nirvana, Bryan Adams, The Eagles, ACDC, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Guns & Roses, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, U2, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Credence Clearwater Revival (CCR), Doobie Brothers, Kansas, Bruce Springsteen, ZZ Top, Free, The Beatles, Joe Walsh, Foreigner, Billy Idol, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Queen, Jefferson Starship, Pearl Jam, ELO, The Animals, Cream, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Cars, Yes, Talking Heads, Santana, David Bowie, Counting Crows, Janis Joplin, Guess Who, Def Leppard, Bruce Springsteen and more.

• Advertisement

Alot of artists are there twice.

Petty? What do you mean.

Petty in the sense of not saying when they are going to start broadcasting. I see nothing about studios or you will be presenting - do we know. It could be a good station

Petty in the sense of not saying when they are going to start broadcasting. I see nothing about studios or you will be presenting - do we know. It could be a good station

I won't be presenting you silly thing!

It's a good idea not to say when they're going on air. Then stations will be doing everything in their power to divert listeners (More so then usual) from tuning in to their opening broadcast (However they do that)

Their studio will be in the same building of 4FM in Dublin city centre, except on a different floor: Latin Hall, Golden Lane, Dublin 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Do you think they'll have "that" radio competition - I vaguely remember everybody ringing in more or less at the same time (I think you had to be the 100th caller to win 1,000 pounds - I can't remember the full details) but I do remember it caused chaos with the telephone exchange - I think it brought it to a standstill.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean the Chris Cary triple-play stunt? that was 5000 pounds which in the mid 80s would keep you going for a year.

http://www.irishpirates.com/audio/wmv/novapromo2.mp3

• Advertisement

Their studio will be in the same building of 4FM in Dublin city centre, except on a different floor: Latin Hall, Golden Lane, Dublin 8.

Not correct. Can't say where but it's not there.

Big Balls wrote: »
    Not correct. Can't say where but it's not there.

Ok well I was told by the head in 4FM. Maybe he was wrong, or lied to me!

Things can change very quickly in radio.

Petty? What do you mean.
    deelite wrote: »
    Do you think they'll have "that" radio competition - I vaguely remember everybody ringing in more or less at the same time (I think you had to be the 100th caller to win 1,000 pounds - I can't remember the full details) but I do remember it caused chaos with the telephone exchange - I think it brought it to a standstill.....

I doubt it. The only connection they have with 80s Nova is their name. Just why they won't make official annoucements on location, presenters etc is beyond me. You'd need a computing degree to keep upwith their facebook blogs and CEO tweets which say less than nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I can't find their facebook page - can somebody put up the linky pleasey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Balls wrote: »
    Things can change very quickly in radio.

Very true, any word on who the PD will be?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The Muppet wrote: »
    Very true, any word on who the PD will be?;)

Carol Dooley - this was announced recently.

From the Irish Independent on the 29th April:
    Classic rock station Radio Nova has hooked a Washington-based radio executive as its first programme director.

The station, which is expected to take to the airwaves in the summer, has lined up Kilkenny native Carol Dooley for the top programming job, subject to Broadcasting Authority approval.

Dooley has spent the last nine years working as programme director for KISM, a Washington-based classic rock station.

"We are bucking the trend in Radio Nova, bringing a talent like Carol back home from the US when sadly many are leaving in the other direction," said boss David Tighe. "Our talented people in Ireland need some positivity and we are trying to give them some."

Some more info about Carol -
    she did a stint in the '80s with Dublin superpirate Q102.

Carol spent a few months in 1988 as part of Simon Mayo's breakfast crew on BBC Radio One.

From Radio Rewind:
    Carol Dooley wrote to Radio Rewind and recalled her time at the station;

"My time at Radio 1 was too short, just a few months, but it was very sweet. I count myself lucky that I got the opportunity to work with people I had always looked up to,- jocks who were huge to me and to most of their audience- Simon Mayo of course, DLT, Adrian John (great guy), Simon Bates, Steve Wright (who was just terrific). "

"Just to be in the same studio that Roger Scott had broadcast in was an amazing thing to me. What a wonderful broadcaster he was...Anyway most of these guys left not long after that time so I will always be grateful for having had the opportunity to work with some of them."

"Radio 1 just isn't the same any more. Johnny Beerling was a great boss though I remember getting into trouble for using the word 'toss' on the air (In Ireland it had a different connotation). I have a memory of Simon Mayo sliding onto to floor and I knew I had said something that I shouldn't!! I was young and shy and thought I would be fired!"

For more about Simon Mayo's breakfast show and pictures of Carol Dooley, see:
    http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/simon_mayo_page.htm

I suspect that we could get a good idea of what kind of classic rock mix, or possibly even style of programming, to expect by looking at the station she has been PD of for the last nine years:
    http://www.kism.com/

deelite wrote: »
    I can't find their facebook page - can somebody put up the linky pleasey.

Anybody hear who'll be presenting, when it'll start , where are it's studios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

http://www.facebook.com/radionova100

Look at the photos and have a guess where the studios are :)

Bard wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/radionova100

Look at the photos and have a guess where the studios are :)

Sorry Bard but I can't identify location from
    photos.

• Advertisement

Well it looks like Dublin's docklands to me ... especially in the photo of the view out the front of the building where you can see what they call "Lake Nama". I'm guessing they're not far away from Phantom 105.2 or FM104.

Bard wrote: »
    Well it looks like Dublin's docklands to me ... especially in the photo of the view out the front of the building where you can see what they call "Lake Nama". I'm guessing they're not far away from Phantom 105.2 or FM104.

Thanks - that makes sense and I'd heard a rumour they were going North of the Liffey. Other site suggest Pat Courtnay will be on air.

I just don't get the mystery surrounding this station.

Thanks - that makes sense and I'd heard a rumour they were going North of the Liffey. Other site suggest Pat Courtnay will be on air.

I just don't get the mystery surrounding this station.

Did anyone else hear that Nova have sent out rejection letters. Some are not happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Did anyone else hear that Nova have sent out rejection letters. Some are not happy

I got my rejection email yesterday.

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I got my rejection email yesterday.

Sorry to hear Mr Mister - were you surprised ?

Sorry to hear Mr Mister - were you surprised ?

Considering i do a small bit of presenting i assumed i would have got a interview at least to discuss what i had to offer for a show,but i got nothing,just the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

....,but i got nothing,just the email.
    Me too but I had forgotten I'd even applied so I cant say I was exactly gutted:D

Me too but I had forgotten I'd even applied so I cant say I was exactly gutted:D

Some who worked for The Rock are very annoyed they haven't been shortlisted. They're angry as they feel they didn't get a fair chance after helping nova get the licence. Sour grapes maybe ???

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

Some ... are very annoyed ...angry...after helping nova get the licence. Sour grapes maybe ???
    Maybe. The same thing happened me with Phantom when it was Dublin's Weekend Rock. I WAS pretty sure I'd get a Phantom interview which I did get. I wasn't in the zone on the day and I certainly don't regret not getting a gig, now. I guess the unsuccessful candidates will, like myself, get over it:D.
    And we unsuccessful candidates always think we are better than a lot of the successful people on air;):D

• Advertisement

Considering i do a small bit of presenting i assumed i would have got a interview at least to discuss what i had to offer for a show,but i got nothing,just the email.

Exactly the same for me, disappointingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

So you did get something....an email!

At this stage the station knows exactly the type of presenter they're looking for. "A small bit of presenting" does not automaticly (sp) qualify you for an interview. In fact, possibly the opposite.
    Should they interview everybody who has had "some on air experience"?

Do you have the "voice" that they want?
    Will you say what they want you to say?

You can be as disappointed as you like at not getting an interview, but at the end of the day, was your application what they wanted? NO.

These guys have a process of eliminating those who should not be interviewed.
    You failed!
    Try again .

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    So you did get something....an email!

At this stage the station knows exactly the type of presenter they're looking for. "A small bit of presenting" does not automaticly (sp) qualify you for an interview. In fact, possibly the opposite.
    Should they interview everybody who has had "some on air experience"?

Do you have the "voice" that they want?
    Will you say what they want you to say?

You can be as disappointed as you like at not getting an interview, but at the end of the day, was your application what they wanted? NO.

These guys have a process of eliminating those who should not be interviewed.
    You failed!
    Try again .

Pedantic much?

Fuzzy, I think u may be missing the calibre of those who got the FO mails. Some worked for stations closely alligned to Nova and are less than happy. Pat Courtnay seems to be confirming elsewhere that he's received an offer. I wonder did he ever apply ? Someone who worked for an aligned station said they felt like cannon fodder. Good analogy I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Look lads I have made this point before but I shall re-iterate it. If you found yourself having to apply for an on air position with nova100 you most definately were never in the mix for a job. Nova would have been required by law to advertise on air vacancies, but such a measure as far as the recruitment process is concerned is merely academic.Nova will want to hit the ground running in a very competitive market,and as a result they will have headhunted a chosen few who have a proven track record in the business hence they were never going to give a high profile on air position to talent previously unknown to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I interviewed with them for advertising role. Did not get job.

They are launching end of Aug and studio is down beside the o2/point theatre.

thats all i know

frAg

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    Look lads I have made this point before but I shall re-iterate it. If you found yourself having to apply for an on air position with nova100 you most definately were never in the mix for a job. Nova would have been required by law to advertise on air vacancies, but such a measure as far as the recruitment process is concerned is merely academic.Nova will want to hit the ground running in a very competitive market,and as a result they will have headhunted a chosen few who have a proven track record in the business hence they were never going to give a high profile on air position to talent previously unknown to them.

Yes Heybaby you have made the points before but you're incorrect on 2 issues:-
    1. No private company is under any legal obligation to publicly advertise jobs. There is however a requirement not to discriminate where jobs are publicly advertised under criteria such as age, sex, race.

2. We ain't talkin ballygobackwards 5 minute jocks here. In some of the cases I'm aware of reps of, or on behalf of, inferred that these people would get a fair shout. You might be surprised by some names but im not going to reveal them

Fuzzy, I think u may be missing the calibre of those who got the FO mails. Some worked for stations closely alligned to Nova and are less than happy. Pat Courtnay seems to be confirming elsewhere that he's received an offer. I wonder did he ever apply ? Someone who worked for an aligned station said they felt like cannon fodder. Good analogy I thought

I'm aware of the calibre of some of the applicants.

What stations are closely alligned to Nova?

Pedantic much?

Maybe a little.

But having a mail is better than nothing.

I've heard of many companies who don't have the decency to reply to unsuccessful applicants.

I do understand resentment that some may feel tho.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I'm aware of the calibre of some of the applicants.

What stations are closely alligned to Nova?

Well alegedly The Rock although this has now been forgotten. Interesting point here if Pat has got a gig - both he and Carol Dooley did v/os' for that station. Couldn't have been planned, could it.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Applied for two different jobs at the station. Didn't get the first and haven't received word on the second.

• Advertisement

For the record, here are most of the people that were involved with The Rock, for either or both licence runs. Bear in mind that some of these may not be seeking a position with Nova100, but it will be interesting to see if any of these do turn up on the new station. I dug up the schedules - this is not all done from memory!!

(Apart from management team of Kevn Brannigan and Mike Ormonde)
    Mark Manning
    John Power
    Enda Murphy
    Tommy Greene
    Pat Courtneay
    Pat James
    Gavin Hayes
    Daragh O'Sullivan aka Steven Davitt,
    Garv Rigby
    Matt Dempsey
    Andy Mangan aka Dave Adams,
    Gerry Wilson
    David Hynes
    Chris Barry
    Louise Molony
    Des Fitzgerald
    Tony Ainscough
    Enda Caldwell
    Damien Allen
    Peter Redmond
    Paul Bradley
    Paul Ashford
    Brendan Flanagan
    Rob G
    Tom Cole
    Gordon Hayden
    Laura Wood
    Paul Byrne
    Sean Ashmore
    Andrea Hayes
    Conor Clear
    Gavin Morrison

I'm told Declan several applied and few were successful. Expect jocks to be named soon. 949ers unhappy would be an understatement for reasons I personally will not make public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bunclody

What about the guys who worked on Zenith in the south east ?

I'm told Declan several applied and few were successful. Expect jocks to be named soon. 949ers unhappy would be an understatement for reasons I personally will not make public

Mark Manning has declared on another board that he applied and was unsuccessful. David Hynes hinted the same on that other board in relation to Nova100, i.e. he did not mention them by name, but it was certainly eluded to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I see they have posted on radiowaves looking for candidates for work experience. I'm sure such experience would be invaluable to anyone trying to get a foot in the door. On that note I sent them another application for that position hoping that my nagging might just turn up something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

(Apart from management team of Kevn Brannigan and Mike Ormonde)
    Mark Manning
    John Power
    Enda Murphy
    Tommy Greene
    Pat Courtneay
    Pat James
    Gavin Hayes
    Daragh O'Sullivan aka Steven Davitt,
    Garv Rigby
    Matt Dempsey
    Andy Mangan aka Dave Adams,
    Gerry Wilson
    David Hynes
    Chris Barry
    Louise Molony
    Des Fitzgerald
    Tony Ainscough
    Enda Caldwell
    Damien Allen
    Peter Redmond
    Paul Bradley
    Paul Ashford
    Brendan Flanagan
    Rob G
    Tom Cole
    Gordon Hayden
    Laura Wood
    Paul Byrne
    Sean Ashmore
    Andrea Hayes
    Conor Clear
    Gavin Morrison

You missed one Declan, there was a girl called Lisa (something) who did news.

You missed one Declan, there was a girl called Lisa (something) who did news.

As far as I'm aware almost none of the newreaders are listed. The list does however seem to combine presenters on the original and 2nd licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any more word on a launch date yet?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Any more word on a launch date yet?

Apparently end August with Pat Courtnay on breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Apparently end August with Pat Courtnay on breakfast

Looking forward to it! Sick of main stream radio, in fact all I listen to at this stage is Phantom even though I'm not big on Indie but it's better than most of the ****e secreted on the other stations. Hope they can find the balance between proper classic rock and 70's / 80's cheese that will keep me listening!

(I.e: easy on the cheddar!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement