Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Nova 100

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bandscan

More Names Added To The Line Up Greg From Eastcoast,Marty Miller And Pat Coutney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

There seems to be a lot of talk on radiowaves about the return of Pat Courtney...who the hell is this guy? You'd think it was howard stern they way some of them are going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Yeah whoo the fack is this Courtney guy?

Bandscan wrote: »
    More Names Added To The Line Up Greg From Eastcoast,Marty Miller And Pat Coutney

Marty Miller SUX!!!

Greg Gaughran? I think he's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Fago! wrote: »
    Yeah whoo the fack is this Courtney guy?
    How long has he been off air in Dublin now? More than 10 years anyway. Launched breakfast on 98fm or Classic hits as it was then. Used to be on the pirates before that.

Aahhhhhhh. Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Fago! wrote: »
    Aahhhhhhh. Any good?
    I never really liked Pat & Elaine on Classic Hits but they were the market leaders for quite a long time before FM104 took over with the Strawberries. Aidan Cooney did the sport IIRC and it was a real Dub fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

It was Lisa Jolly btw..

Pat Courtnay is a genius. I know some will disagree but just give him a chance when he is on air and you will be converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

You missed one Declan, there was a girl called Lisa (something) who did news.
    It was Lisa Jolly btw..

Pat Courtnay is a genius. I know some will disagree but just give him a chance when he is on air and you will be converted.

Hi Lisa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spinnakers

Did anyone see this in today's Irish Times? -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0722/1224275195411.html

Seems to be a lot of sensitivity flying around about the whole thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

You can't blame Sybil. It's still quite raw for her. Nova was arguably Chris's biggest success story and definitley changed the face of radio in Ireland. If it wasn't for Nova and Chris, would we have radio in te format we have today? He spurred a lot of people into action - some to create radio stations and others to shut them down! I welcome the new Nova but also offer respect to the 'original'. The only problem with Nova 100 using that name is that they will be compared to Radio Nova whether good or bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

If it wasn't for Nova and Chris, would we have radio in te format we have today?

Yes, someone else just would've done it. That's not me being negative towards Nova but it was there for the taking, he just happened to be at the right place in the right time and it was all new to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

MarkN wrote: »
    Yes, someone else just would've done it. That's not me being negative towards Nova but it was there for the taking, he just happened to be at the right place in the right time and it was all new to Dublin.
    Maybe so, Mark, but there's not much sign of innovation around the radio scene today. He gave radio in Ireland a good kick in the ars. And set many of today's 'names' on the road to success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Maybe so, Mark, but there's not much sign of innovation around the radio scene today. He gave radio in Ireland a good kick in the ars. And set many of today's 'names' on the road to success.

I don't get the canonisation of CC - he was influential but so were many others. His expertise was coping that the irish Market was ready to be exploited with a west coast format - and name. After CC left these shores didn't he go into the equally illegal copying of Sky digital cards?

Sybil, get over it - neither the name of the station or the format were original but Nova 100 was a name coined by a shareholder (kb) as the ultimate tribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

From Radiowaves News -

David Tighe has stepped down from his position as Chief Executive of Radio Nova, which launched on the first day of September this year. Director Kevin Branigan has stepped into the role in an acting capacity.

Responding to criticisms of the station's performance in its first two months on air, Kevin says: "We're very happy wth the progress of Nova so far, no concerns whatsover. We've no foresight into what our listenership figures are so far but considering the number of shops and taxis that have us on, and the number of texts, calls, Facebook fans and general enthusiasm about the station, we have no reason to be concerned in the slightest. That and the fact that we made our direct sales target for the entire year in our first month of broadcasting gives us great confidence and puts the company on a very sound footing."

---

I'm wondering is this comment to do with listenership figures or the playlist choices? I know there was a lot of criticism of the playlist when the station was launched (including on Boards), but has that continued?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

From Radiowaves News -

David Tighe has stepped down from his position as Chief Executive of Radio Nova, which launched on the first day of September this year. Director Kevin Branigan has stepped into the role in an acting capacity.

Responding to criticisms of the station's performance in its first two months on air, Kevin says: "We're very happy wth the progress of Nova so far, no concerns whatsover. We've no foresight into what our listenership figures are so far but considering the number of shops and taxis that have us on, and the number of texts, calls, Facebook fans and general enthusiasm about the station, we have no reason to be concerned in the slightest. That and the fact that we made our direct sales target for the entire year in our first month of broadcasting gives us great confidence and puts the company on a very sound footing."

---

I'm wondering is this comment to do with listenership figures or the playlist choices? I know there was a lot of criticism of the playlist when the station was launched (including on Boards), but has that continued?

IMO it has..but like myself it felt like banging your head on a wall....

They've clearly ignored all that criticism thrown at them and just carried on with their now "dated" playlists...
    Theres a lot of bands that i loved but now i'm starting to hate...I'm just sick of the same tracks being aired...Its like having only one 80's cassette in the car and the radio's fkuced.....

And one of the best shows (PJ) is on late on sunday night when some people have to get up for work the next day.....it does not make sense..:mad:
    I still hear it ,but i'm not listening to it....if you get my drift...

Advertisement