Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Leinster Walk help/directions please?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi All,

My girlfriend and myself are heading around Ireland for a week or so and fancy doing some walks of scenic areas along the way. I have been living in Carlow all my life (she's not from around here) and would obviously like to show her what we have to offer right here on our doorstep, but never actually got around to walking Mt Leinster, although i have driven up there a few times.

I have been doing some research and have found the following description of a walk which sounds ideal. Does anyone know the area described below and could they possibly give me some directions? If i'm heading up that way i normally go to Garyhill, then turn off to the right before Myshall (past Dan O'Neil's house) and up over the brow of the hill talking a kind-of "back road" to Bunclody. (Sorry for the crap description but i dont know the names of the roads).

We will be beginning our hike from an area known as the "Nine Stones". From Scullogue Gap we begin the assault of Blackstairs Mountain on a narrow boreen, before passing through a ‘Kissing Gate’ to Coonogue Lane. This very narrow stone walled lane, almost a tunnel in parts, leads onto the open mountain, easing your way past farmers’ fields and, thankfully, avoiding a lot of gorse bushes. Up to a few years ago this lane was completely overgrown with brambles and gorse, making it totally impassable, until it was cleared with community co-operation

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance to all who reads. :D

Comments

Advertisement