Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have dog at vet to be spayed, they cannot spay due to small womb

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i took my dog to vet
    she is nearly 8 months old
    she was in for womb and ovary removal
    they cannot take out as it is too small, did not develope much
    my question is
    they said we can give an injection so she will not come in heat.
    i had not heard of this before
    does anyone on here have more information for me on this problem
    she is a little beauty
    jack russell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would get a second opinion on that tbh. Ive never heard of that but thats not saying its not unheard of.

I would avoid that injection as ive heard people having a lot of problems in the dogs after it from side effects of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

they had her opened, she has gone through alot for nothing
    does the injection put them in bad form
    they have spayed everything i have and ever had, there were 3 vets consulting, as the one who was performing when they found this, they called on the other two vets at same clinic to have a look, and they reached this decision,
    what do you now suggest
    is there another way around this
    i will take her back in a few months
    they cannot answer whether it will develope fully in the future
    what age do they come in heat
    what can i do to prevent her coming in heat
    i was doing my best
    i feel sorry for the poor thing

Maybe shes a slow developer and maybe she needs longer to mature and develop. But if 3 vets were giving their opinion then not sure what you should do now really.

I would be against that injection as ive heard awful things about it as it messes up their cycles and just in general isnt very good for them as you are basically giving them a dose of hormones to stop them coming into season so i wouldnt be rushing out to choose that route.

They can come into any age from 6 months onwards, theres no set time frame but its usually between 6 and 12 months, but it can be later.

You cannot prevent her coming into heat unless you get that injection but as i said, its not something i would be giving to my dog.

i live in an area, where every home has a dog or two, and most dont spay the males, i have a male but he has been neutered which is great, but these dogs will sit outside house every day and pee all over everything, and me throwing every pot and pan at them anything that will act as a missile to get them out, this happened me a long time ago and i do not want a rerun of it
    so is there any other way out of this thing

No, not unless she can be spayed or get that injection there is nothing else you can do.
    Maybe have a chat with the vet about the injection and ask his the pros and cons or it and side effects etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The injection has some side effects, but lots of people use it a few times with no problems. I would use it once or twice but I wouldn't keep using it forever.

But then again, you obviously don't want her coming into heat either.

I know three vets saw her but I might still get an opinion of a different vet. Just tell them that they said her womb wasn't developed enough and they wouldn't spay her. I don't know why not, a lot of vets would spay them at 12weeks.

morganafay wrote: »
    The injection has some side effects, but lots of people use it a few times with no problems. I would use it once or twice but I wouldn't keep using it forever.

But then again, you obviously don't want her coming into heat either.

I know three vets saw her but I might still get an opinion of a different vet. Just tell them that they said her womb wasn't developed enough and they wouldn't spay her. I don't know why not, a lot of vets would spay them at 12weeks.
    that is what i had thought that they can be spayed at 12 weeks
    she is 28 weeks, and has a lovely temprament
    is there a chance that she will not come in heat, since her reproductive organs have developed that much

goat2 wrote: »
    that is what i had thought that they can be spayed at 12 weeks
    she is 28 weeks, and has a lovely temprament
    is there a chance that she will not come in heat, since her reproductive organs have developed that much

She will come into heat, not sure what you mean by "developed that much"?
    Do mean not developed?

I dont think ive ever heard of a female dog not ever coming into heat.

andreac wrote: »
    She will come into heat, not sure what you mean by "developed that much"?
    Do mean not developed?

I dont think ive ever heard of a female dog not ever coming into heat.
    it was so small they told me, that to remove it could kill her, so i will have her x rayed in about 4 months to see if things grow,
    how often do they come in heat, and for how long

They usually come into heat twice a year and it can anything from every 4 months to every 8 months, but the usual is every 6 months.

Their heat last for 3 weeks in total, usually a week coming in, a week in and a week going out again. They need to kept away from dogs for the whole 3 weeks as it is possible for them to go in pup if mated anytime in the heat but the usual is on the 2nd week sometime.

• Advertisement

was just speaking with vets
    they say she has a redementry womb
    so small
    they dont think she will ever come in heat
    but also they say time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sounds like she won't get pregnant anyway. I'm trying to look up stuff about it just out of interest, but can't find much except this which might be the same thing?

UTERINE APLASIA
    In some dogs, one or both sides of the uterus may fail to develop. Sometimes a part of the uterus will be underdeveloped. Depending on the degree of improper development, fertility may be affected. Most often, the disorder is diagnosed when the veterinarian is spaying the dog; otherwise diagnosis is difficult. The problem will cause no harm in most cases except fertility may be affected.

and my vet nursing book just says:

Developmental problems of the uterus include aplasia (abnormal development) or agenesis (failure of development); in these cases reproductive cyclicity will be normal but the bitch may fail to become pregnant.

So maybe she will come into heat but won't get pregnant. If so then I don't see why she would need the injections, except to stop the males dogs following her. It doesn't say if they can be spayed or not.

morganafay wrote: »
    Sounds like she won't get pregnant anyway. I'm trying to look up stuff about it just out of interest, but can't find much except this which might be the same thing?

UTERINE APLASIA
    In some dogs, one or both sides of the uterus may fail to develop. Sometimes a part of the uterus will be underdeveloped. Depending on the degree of improper development, fertility may be affected. Most often, the disorder is diagnosed when the veterinarian is spaying the dog; otherwise diagnosis is difficult. The problem will cause no harm in most cases except fertility may be affected.

and my vet nursing book just says:

Developmental problems of the uterus include aplasia (abnormal development) or agenesis (failure of development); in these cases reproductive cyclicity will be normal but the bitch may fail to become pregnant.

So maybe she will come into heat but won't get pregnant. If so then I don't see why she would need the injections, except to stop the males dogs following her. It doesn't say if they can be spayed or not.
    thank you so much for all the help on this matter
    i had never heard of it either, and i would say it was a rerety for the vets, i would not bother with injections but i will have her x rayed in a few months to see if there are any changes,
    but they are doubtful of change
    and they think she may not come in heat
    i am so sorry for all i have put her through, but she is in good form
    you had better luck than me when trying to get an answer, i got nothing

Advertisement